What Song Does M Need to Retire?

Future Lover

Never been such a fan of Music live, for me it doesn't really work, but there's no need to stop doing it live. However, obviously she needs to retire Candy Shop, it's number 10 of her most performed songs, it makes no sense at all (unless ofcourse, unless there is a backwards subliminal message about global domination and/or devil worship hidden in it's lyrics)

As long as tracks are reinvented I'm always happy.

Candy shop succeeded to be revised in 2 last tour and was great. But for sure, hope we'll never hear it anymore in tours to come!

Holiday was not enough re-worked on RHT. A bit boring for a final song compares to all the excellent others (except the shitty 2009).

LAP is her best song. Not especially my favorite but it's her best song anyway so nothing against.

I'm totally bored with Music for sure. So Music out definitely + Human nature no more!

No more Human Nature, but after the embarassing kiss experience maybe she'll quit.. Absolutely a regret!

Candy shop was interesting in MDNA Tour, I would have tried something different in RHT, like a swing version of Girl Gone Wild.

LAP was magical during MDNA Tour. I accept the fact that the audience wants to hear it. Same for Music and Holiday, although she could do better with this one like she did in BAT and GS and DWT.

Holiday, Like a Virgin, La Isla Bonita, Like a Prayer, Vogue, Justify My Love (on interludes, I can't believe that S.E.X. on RHT uses a samples of JML, for me was the same that JML on MDNA Tour, a sexual backdrop :v, she should sing this song LIVE!!!!), Human Nature, Music, Hung Up, Candy Shop and Spanish Lesson!

No more Human Nature, but after the embarassing kiss experience maybe she'll quit.. Absolutely a regret!

Candy shop was interesting in MDNA Tour, I would have tried something different in RHT, like a swing version of Girl Gone Wild.

LAP was magical during MDNA Tour. I accept the fact that the audience wants to hear it. Same for Music and Holiday, although she could do better with this one like she did in BAT and GS and DWT.

i have this is mind since the tour started!!! a different version of "girl gone wild" would make so much more sense than "candy shop" on the last tour

I agree with Fighter. I like how she includes different remixes of her old tracks for each tour; keeps it interesting.

Too bad half of the old songs on MDNA Tour and practically all of them on RHT were simply the familiar versions all over again.

Pretty much agree with Rebel Hugo. Would be interesting to have a tour without any of the 1980s singles she's been doing several times on tour but unfortunately that'll never happen... :sad:

For the whole period 1990-2004, she was almost denying her musical origins, and everybody asked for "oldies". Now that she seems to have come to terms with her Eighties hits, many say they are tired of them. What do you want? I think we all have to agree that without the Eighties Madonna would be nothing. I'm sorry to play the part of the old sage, but those who weren't there at the time can't really understand how it was when EVERYBODY - and I mean EVERYBODY - loved Madonna. Look at the Rai 1987 Turin broadcast. Look at the wannabes in 1985.

Of course I'd love to her other songs and not just the same La isla bonita all over again, but I like the fact that in every tour there is a different True blue single. And I accept the fact that the general audience wants Like a virgin and Like a prayer more than Nothing really matters or Nothing fails (song that I'd love to hear again).

She only had one tour during that period and that was based on her last two albums with multiple hits and when radio was still playing her everywhere. I think "coming to terms" is euphemism of "I have to sing these songs to sell tickets".

Prince suffered the same fate long before Madonna. He had tours in 1993 and 1995 where claimed to be "not singing the hits again", then he went full-on greatest hits mode from 2000, the Musicology Tour, where he gave the CD away with tickets had like 1-2 songs from its album. Thats because nobody cared about his post-1993, most of the hardcore fans detest a lot of that music so he had to sing the same songs over and over again, sometimes even in the same sequence (Take Me With U & Raspberry Beret).

So yeah, it is obvious that Madonna has to rely on her 1980s hits to sell tickets, but she insists on her tours being half the new album so there is little room for the rest. RHT had some stuff like True Blue, WTG or TAB but she still repeated 5 songs from S&ST 2009 (like MDNA Tour from S&ST 2008) and they were not re-imaginations but close to album/TIC versions. Combine that she's been doing the same concept for her shows since 2004 with the themes and segments even being recycled, I think it's understandable that some of us feel that things are being stale now...

I think thats why Stuart Price is almost universally liked, he gave us fresh sounding yet familiar versions of the old songs.  :thinker:  :thinker:  Nowadays its either almost the CD version playing in the background, or a remix that's way too out there... RHT vs MDNA Tour... and fan opinions are divided on both it seems for opposite reasons.

I think thats why Stuart Price is almost universally liked, he gave us fresh sounding yet familiar versions of the old songs.  :thinker:  :thinker:  Nowadays its either almost the CD version playing in the background, or a remix that's way too out there... RHT vs MDNA Tour... and fan opinions are divided on both it seems for opposite reasons.

The worst thing is that not only they use musical samples from the original recording, but also the VOCALS!!!

She always used to be unexpected. Now she is increasingly more and more expected and predictable. As soon as I heard she was doing an acoustic set to support Hilary Clinton, I knew for sure that she would do Like A Prayer, Don't Tell Me and Imagine. As much as I absolutely love LAP, I'm finding her performances of it after 2009 increasingly stale, uninspired and boring. There are other ways of performing it live other than a recreation of the Shep P remix or the same sounding acoustic rendition. She could do a more faithful to the album version like a big kind of anthemic gospel version or more understated as an acoustic with a piano, church organ, with a small orchestra or simply acapella with a church choir.

For Me, to keep playing some songs over and over, she needs to keep them fresh, while remaining true to the original song. I agree with @@Fighter absolutely. Stuart Prices studio versions sound really fresh and revitalised, while not drastically altering the songs. The S&ST studio versions are totally overhauled to the point the songs have little or no essence of the original song. There was way too many samples and use of scratching. The following tours are the polar opposite of SST and the versions are too close to the originals, almost like she is singing over the instrumental of the songs. DWT, RIT & CT got the balance between modernising and staying true to the original songs the best out of any of her 21st century tours.

She seems to have had a change of heart regarding the way she performs songs. She once said she'd never perform songs similar to the original version as people can just hear those on the studio album. She also said she would never want to duplicate an idea or performance, therefore I was really surprised at the time that LAP and Vogue on the MDNA tour were essentially extended versions of the same concept used for the Superbowl and that they sounded almost like the original instrumentals with her singing over them.

The songs she seems to perform the most in recent years to me are Candy Shop, Music, Like A Prayer, La Isla Bonita, Human Nature, Like A Virgin, Spanish Lesson and Holiday. I think they've had their time in the sun. She's over performed them and I'm kinda bored with them now. Again, it's really predictable now for her to include these, and to quote Sorry: "I've seen it all before and I can't take it anymore".