What Song Does M Need to Retire?

Future Lover

I don't think she should retire any song she doesn't want to retire.   I mean; it's pretty crazy for a fan to suggest she "retire" the classic songs like "Holiday", "Like A Prayer", etc.  Please!  Those are the songs that keep people coming back to the shows. Most want to hear those classics.  Certainly, I would agree I'd like to hear good versions of the songs.  But you can't hit it out of the park every time if you're and artist who likes to change it up, when performing it again.  It's always going to be hard to please everyone.  Though, she is very vocal about singing songs over and over again without changing them up. She does that for the most part. 

She is far from the typical artist who relies on her back catalog.  Be happy she isn't up on stage, performing just the "Greatest Hits".  For the most part, all her tours have represented more of her newer stuff than her older stuff.  I think she'll continue to do that until she retires herself.  Not to say she might not put on a "Greatest Hits" show in the future, but I feel that is less likely to happen.

I love Madonna because she's an all around entertainer.  I love how she keeps evolving as a performer.  Let's face it, she isn't the best singer, dancer and guitarist, but I love how she gives us variety.  She gives us 100%  I don't want her just standing on stage singing songs.  I know damn well she doesn't either.  I think she wants to show she can do more than sing whether that is dancing, doing crazy stunts, performing, being comedic, putting on huge productions and yes jamming on the guitar. 

I say; the only thing that should "retire" are those fans who think she should do it their way or think she should retire songs or playing instruments. 

AMEN

I’m generally pleased to hear any song as long as the arrangement is good.

Sometimes you have to think that Madonna’s never stopped making music so it’s not like every generation of fans have been to every show, so even though I’ve been a bigger fan since 2005 I’ve only gone to MDNA Tour and Rebel Heart Tour. (I can’t believe my first time hearing Hung Up was the MDNA Tour one 💀). So I haven’t even heard Ray of Light live and she’s done it 2/4 tours since 2005.

Oh I agree. But again, I am not really bothered if she hits bum notes. After all, she's been doing that all her career. I enjoy that she does more than just sing. I don't mind that she pulls out the guitar even though she isn't Eddie Van Halen with the guitar. It just offers a bit diversity to her performance, especially the slower songs. As a fan, I don't want to restrict her to being one type of entertainer. She's an artist. She paints many canvases, some better than others. Throw in that rebellious attitude, you've got Madonna.

Agreed. I personally LOVE her voice. The other day I was laughing with a friend about her intonation in Spanish Eyes when she's singing the phrase 'help me pray for SPANISH EYES' almost in a pantomime-like way. Might not be Maria Callas but WHO CARES? I LOVE ITTTTTT. And I love her voice when is a bit hoarse and scratchy - mainly in the 80s as she evenrually grew to more melodic vocal tricks. I.just.love.that.

And to finish my adoration - I LOVE her powerful thick voice from the concerts she's done up until The Girlie Show, with the exception of the Blond Ambition Tour where she seemed to have little voice due to her throat issues - and probably also due to the tiring dance routines + stadium weathers.

There's only ONE Madonna to me. And she's all these things.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Retire is quite a strong word and, IMO, not the right one to use when it comes down to this question. Perhaps a better paraphrase would be: "What song should M perform less?"

Candy Shop needs a rest. It was not a single, it's an album track from one of M's less popular albums and every time M performs it there is one less spot in each setlist for unperformed past singles (I'll Remember, Nothing Really Matters, Love Profusion, etc). She could even substitute it with some album track from Bedtime Stories, since that album never got any promo outside of singles territory (Don't Stop would have work in its RHT place). Like A Prayer is suffering from overdose. There was a time, when the song, dark and powerful, was so special that M only performed it when it did fit the tour/era (BAT, RIT). IMO, it wasn't needed in S&ST and MDNAT; it feels out of place and cheap in those tours. Its inclusion in the RHT dvd was also not good. I understand its inclusion to boost sales, but TGS, DWT and CT never needed it to survive and RHT dvd could have done well with its original setlist (including WTG, a well-known hit by casual fans). Music and Hung Up don't need a rest per se, but I could have done without their last versions. As long as a song's performance is good and it fits the tour/era, I'm ok with it; if not, no thanks.

Umm... while "Like A Prayer" was performed at a number of shows, it was not on the setlist for RHT.   "Like A Prayer" is more than just a "signature" song by her.  It's an universal loved song that most casual and non-fans expect to hear.   Moreso than songs like "La Isla Bonita" which has been performed more on tour than "Like A Prayer". 

I don't mind if she'll sing Candy Shop again.

She gave us 3 differents versions of the song and it was 3 good nay great versions. Each new version was better than the previous one in my point of view.

She gave us 3 differents versions of Hung Up and except the first one, the others were average. Each new version was worse than the previous one...

Everyone has preferences, but at the end it's all about M's preferences and choice. 

I’m generally pleased to hear any song as long as the arrangement is good.

Sometimes you have to think that Madonna’s never stopped making music so it’s not like every generation of fans have been to every show, so even though I’ve been a bigger fan since 2005 I’ve only gone to MDNA Tour and Rebel Heart Tour. (I can’t believe my first time hearing Hung Up was the MDNA Tour one 💀). So I haven’t even heard Ray of Light live and she’s done it 2/4 tours since 2005.

which tour do you prefer, MDNA or RHT? ☺

Y'all need to stop picking on Candyshop! You watch it and we will get a double wammy with two Candyshops in one show! Lol

giphy.gif

Yeah I don't get the hate.  All because it never was a single.  It's blatantly apparent it's a favorite of Madonna's.  She's willing to sing and perform many of the songs we love over and over, so why not allow her a few choice songs she enjoys.   It's obvious she really loves "La Isla Bonita" just as much.  But I also think it has to do with the fact she really digs both R&B and Latin flavored music.  And I believe she's deeply rooted in R&B music since she was a kid.  That is why she tends to gravitate to R&B from time to time. 

Yeah I don't get the hate. All because it never was a single. It's blatantly apparent it's a favorite of Madonna's. She's willing to sing and perform many of the songs we love over and over, so why not allow her a few choice songs she enjoys. It's obvious she really loves "La Isla Bonita" just as much. But I also think it has to do with the fact she really digs both R&B and Latin flavored music. And I believe she's deeply rooted in R&B music since she was a kid. That is why she tends to gravitate to R&B from time to time.

Truly Candyshop is simplistic, but Madonna in every way and as some have speculated, perhaps she had wanted to be a single very early in plotting the era. Had she been younger and yanking the charts around as she did in late 80s and 90s, Candy Shop might've been a hit, but not when something like Candy Shop and her age may have come off as "ewe". I'm surprised Give It 2 Me didn't get that treatment.... Other than no AirPlay. And Latin sections I generally enjoy. La Isla Bonita had some kick in RHT. She also did two different aspects of Latin culture she hadn't used in tour yet, Matador and Dia de Muerto. Wish she had gotten more theatrical with either of them, but whatever.

People despise it because it's become a running joke among fans that every setlist will have that track after her plan of having it as the first single back in '08 didn't happen. Wasn't there that story at the Hard Candy listening party everyone preferred 4 Minutes while she was gunning for Candy Shop as the first single?

The album version itself is very forgettable in my opinion. The MDNA and RHT versions (which is a amped up album version on RHT) definitely added to it and made me see the song can hit strides when remixed but as a song itself seeing on future tours, it wouldn't be a song I'd miss or crave to hear live again. But she's shown she's fond of it and the Hard Candy album in general. I mean, she did perform Spanish Lesson.  :Madonna009:

which tour do you prefer, MDNA or RHT? ☺

I think the visuals for MDNA Tour were stronger (still LOVE the backdrop for I’m A Sinner) but so much of Rebel Heart Tour just does it for me, better setlist on paper and execution, the audience interaction, the spontaneity (Unapologetic Bitches >>>>>>> Psy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DJ Khaled) and the costumes were better suited to the show.

I still laugh that during the Rebel Heart Tour of all the songs she did every one that wasn’t from the new album or a cover was a single......minus Candy Shop.

But she did perform two of the three singles every show and did "Ghosttown" at various venues.  Not sure what point this is actually making?

I think the visuals for MDNA Tour were stronger (still LOVE the backdrop for I’m A Sinner) but so much of Rebel Heart Tour just does it for me, better setlist on paper and execution, the audience interaction, the spontaneity (Unapologetic Bitches >>>>>>> Psy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DJ Khaled) and the costumes were better suited to the show.

My take is that MDNA was far more theatrical and dramatic.  RHT was a bit more General public friendly.  She wasn't as political, not was she trying to be as provocative.  Not to say she wasn't still trying to raise a bit of awareness from time to time, but MDNA was more about being provocative while RHT was more about pleasing the public to some degree.

But she did perform two of the three singles every show and did "Ghosttown" at various venues. Not sure what point this is actually making?

My take is that MDNA was far more theatrical and dramatic. RHT was a bit more General public friendly. She wasn't as political, not was she trying to be as provocative. Not to say she wasn't still trying to raise a bit of awareness from time to time, but MDNA was more about being provocative while RHT was more about pleasing the public to some degree.

I’m not talking about just Rebel Heart, I mean as her discography a whole, every song that wasn’t a cover or from Rebel Heart was a single except for Candy Shop.

I’m not talking about just Rebel Heart, I mean as her discography a whole, every song that wasn’t a cover or from Rebel Heart was a single except for Candy Shop.

That's because as always, her tours are usually strong on the current album.  At least half or more of the tour usually contains the current album tracks.  As for "Candy Shop", if Madonna had her way, it would have been a single, and while "4 Minutes" was a pretty big hit for her, "Give it 2 Me" was another song she rather have released before "4 Minutes" and didn't do as well.  So who knows how "Candy Shop" would have done if it was a single.  I suspect at the time it probably wouldn't done well because she wouldn't have been able to pull off top ten hit without the help of another big time artist that people were dying to hear new music from. 

One thing to keep in mind is that those singles she chooses are usually songs that old and new fans alike would be familiar with. And generally they were commercially successful ones. Hence why I don't think we will see a lot of songs from the last couple eras. Although Give It 2 Me, Girl Gone Wild, and BIM seem like they may be favorites of hers, so we could see them in the future.

I don't think she will sing Candy Shop again. It's been enough.

I'm pretty sure fans thought that after Sticky And Sweet and again after MDNA, yet she pulled it out of the bag as well.

Personally, I hope she does just to see some fans get all worked up over it.  LOL!