Madonna Is Billboard's 2016 Woman of the Year

Luiz Ribeiro

The degree to which something happens is not irrelevant. When you have a culture dictated by a majority group and there is pervasive prejudice towards a minority that's a social issue, it's not the other way around.

If the minority group and majority group are both experiencing the same thing, it's not a social issue exclusive to the minority group. 

False equivalence used to prove otherwise doesn't make it reality.

It's not "false equivalence" if it's real.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Real examples don't necessarily lead to real conclusions. The distinction between anecdotal evidence vs empirical evidence is very important. 

They're not leading to real conclusions because there are people who don't want to listen. All the examples I've provided you with have been empirical. Read the articles and watch the videos. I'm not making this shit up.

Great speech, very affecting.

It's still somewhat edited though, it's missing the bit where she mentions all the people that are gone but she is still standing. Also, it's completely jarring when they bleep her swear words as it more or less vandalises the speech at those moments. I personally would prefer having a lot less of those lingering shots of people in the audience too. It's much more powerful when we see M's face up close and can read all the emotion in her eyes. I really wish television directors would have the courage to just sit still sometimes.

It truly feels like this was her candid self. Such a raw and honest look into her mind and heart, and what she truly stood and still stands for. I like it that she allowed herself some tears, human, feminine, strong. Legs open: because her giant balls need space, and it takes giant balls like hers to do what she did.

THIS was the best moment of the whole rebel heart era for me.

truly grand. 

MORE of this. the whole world needs it.

PS:

some of the missing bits (and most of the transcript) are on the billboard webpage. uncensored. i couldn't find the bit about trump/hillary.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/events/women-in-music/7617021/madonna-billboard-women-in-music-2016-speech

Just watched that youtube video and can't wait to see it HQ, it was a really great moment, definitely a highlight to end the year! I think this might become viral at some point, so the speech will reach its audience. From what I've read the general reactions are positive! =)