Sticky & Sweet Tour Appreciation

madgefan

Like A Prayer remix worked, the best version is on Blond Ambition Tour tho.

At first I hated this tour, i hated what she had become. It was such a shocking transformation and it was so lackluster in comparision to the Confessions era. She went from warm mom to a freaky blond robot lol, but in 2009 she became much sweeter again. She clearly enjoyed the 2009 leg more. Nowadays I appreciate this tour even tho its not the best, her stamina was amazing and the remixed versions were fun.

To this day I don't like when I see her with the flat wavy hairstyle tho.  :sad:

At first I hated this tour, i hated what she had become. It was such a shocking transformation and it was so lackluster in comparision to the Confessions era. 

Don't get me wrong since I love all the tours for what they represented in Madonna's career and the pop music industry in general BUT the Confessions Tour has reached a level where it couldn't be more overrated and I exclusively blame the DVD and the 'greatness' the COADF album meant after the flop which was American Life  :redface:

It's true, the Future Lovers opening act was fabulous, great visuals and gorgeous costumes but Madonna wasn't dancing and giving it all like she did during Candy Shop (which wasn't an overly done song by then) and she even sang live

I agree that the S&S wasn't her best artistically speaking because it didn't give us anything new or innovative but it has its own merits... we got Vogue sung totally live for the first time, the Die Another Day backdrop looked amazing in the HD screens, she dared to sing old classics such as Borderline and Dress You Up after 25 years, the cylindrical screens must be her pinnacle in the use of hi-tech resources onstage ever, the unity feeling provoked by the Miles Away performance felt incredible in the stadium...

The fact that the DVD has shitty vocals is a different story  :bothered2:

I think there was a finesse to her performance in Confessions Tour that is missing in S&S and later tours. Sticky is just one big gym session. With CT and RIT (and some of the earlier tours) she wasn't as energetic but she was more precise and subtle and evocative. I do agree that CT has low points but it's still better creatively than S&S overall.

Back in those tours Madonna was really feeling herself as a real dancer, but then she was out to prove her stamina too much imho, and imho on RHT she was going by the numbers for the most part with the choreos. Which weren't that inventive anyway. There were some good moments there like with Like A Virgin tho.

But think of how little she does in a performance like Forbidden Love or Like It Or Not in Confessions Tour, and it slays. Every word is expressed through her movements. She was feeling it, and she knew she slayed and it didnt feel like she was out to prove anything. Therefore she came across more confident and powerful.

She can still do that. There were hints of that on MDNA Tour and RHT. But it does feel like she tries too hard sometimes.

This was the first and tour that had her in my home city, Belgrade, on her 2009 leg.

It was my 10th time seeing her live and 3rd being up front, directly in front of her. Even though I do agree to a certain extent that this tour lacks some of the icon Madonna we all know and adore, it was amazing for what it was, and I got to see Madonna more as a person who entertains and enjoys every second of it, far more than the relentless perfectly scripted performer. She was handing out smiles left and right in Belgrade, and even sent me kisses for my birthday by mistake - a girl next to me held a sign, and I pointed her towards it, she thought it was my b-day.

So, yeah, underwhelming for some, but it was a blur of colours and memories and fun for me.

I think that this tour had to be experienced live and in person to understand it better. It is a show that relies a lot on the energy of the performers on stage, which she hadn't done much on tour in the past. She wasn't working with many sets and very few distracting videos. The show looks great as well. 

When I say tacky I meant just some of the song choices, Spanish Lesson? really? I'm Going Bananas solves that mystery but I honestly that LAP and gross sample!. For me great production but set-list, I love hard candy but that tour doesn't do anything to promote it.

Edit: I was going to say she butchered Give It 2 Me but not she did on the promo tour though, not the tour version.

When I say tacky I meant just some of the song choices, Spanish Lesson? really? I'm Going Bananas solves that mystery but I honestly that LAP and gross sample!. For me great production but set-list, I love hard candy but that tour doesn't do anything to promote it.

Edit: I was going to say she butchered Give It 2 Me but not she did on the promo tour though, not the tour version.

how does it not promote it??? from the 12 tracks of the album only 2 were not used, and all of them got great performances.

how does it not promote it??? from the 12 tracks of the album only 2 were not used, and all of them got great performances.

I must admit, i thought that S&ST would be an urban/R&B themed tour just because that's the direction she went with HC. She did perform loads of songs from the album, but the theme of the album isn't that apparent in the tour, which i'm not that bothered about really, actually i was kind of glad. I was concerned that she was going to do an R&B tour and was thinking how would many of her back catalogue songs fit in to a tour of that style without sounding really out of place.

BTW weren't there 3 tracks that didn't get used? 😉 Dance 2night, Incredible and Voices? But still, that's a lot of songs that were performed.

I must admit, i thought that S&ST would be an urban/R&B themed tour just because that's the direction she went with HC. She did perform loads of songs from the album, but the theme of the album isn't that apparent in the tour, which i'm not that bothered about really, actually i was kind of glad. I was concerned that she was going to do an R&B tour and was thinking how would many of her back catalogue songs fit in to a tour of that style without sounding really out of place.

BTW weren't there 3 tracks that didn't get used? Dance 2night, Incredible and Voices? But still, that's a lot of songs that were performed.

i don't think she'd ever use ONE theme for a concert. it could go dull cause we're so used to how she uses segments.

"voices" was sampled in "get stupid".

BTW weren't there 3 tracks that didn't get used? Dance 2night, Incredible and Voices? But still, that's a lot of songs that were performed.

Erm, the album itself is NOT full urban/R&B themed, songs like Give It 2 Me, Heartbeat or She's Not Me have nothing to do with late 2000s sounds, they are early 80s retro. The first half of the show was urban stuff and then old school...

It is her best tour, her energy is out of this world and it's the closest thing to a perfect and balanced setlist she's ever done. The new and bold arrangements alone put her two most recent tours into shame. Still remember back then everyone complained her doing Ray Of Light on the guitar again even though it is a different arrangement from CT and now she is doing album versions of Vogue, La Isla Bonita etc...

Oh and is anyone really looking for "originality" on a Madonna tour post-DWT when she's admittedly just using the same formula and having her favourite themes like dominatrix, cabaret or Spanish repeated?

It was fun to see Sticky & Sweet live and I enjoyed it but it's probably the least interesting tour for me. Gypsy section was stunning and is the only saving grace on that tour.

The production is amazing, shame the creativity wasn't as high.... I remember being so disappointed about the rehashed elements. But it's aged well cos it's fun. 

The production is amazing, shame the creativity wasn't as high.... I remember being so disappointed about the rehashed elements. But it's aged well cos it's fun. 

i honestly can't recall what wasn't new or creative on this tour, except for "ray of light" which clearly was a bad version from the confessions tour. everything else seems pretty well thought to me.

i honestly can't recall what wasn't new or creative on this tour, except for "ray of light" which clearly was a bad version from the confessions tour. everything else seems pretty well thought to me.

I didn't like the visuals, I thought a lot of the backdrops looked bad. They feel very web aesthetic now which is funny, I guess it was ahead of its time. Or maybe what was ugly then, became edgy and interesting later.

It just wasn't as inspired and sober as CT or RIT, and since S&S was the big tour that was going to places she hadn't been in for ages, I remember a lot of people wishing they had been able to see CT instead.