Sticky & Sweet Tour Appreciation

madgefan

I didn't like the visuals, I thought a lot of the backdrops looked bad. They feel very web aesthetic now which is funny, I guess it was ahead of its time. Or maybe what was ugly then, became edgy and interesting later.

It just wasn't as inspired and sober as CT or RIT, and since S&S was the big tour that was going to places she hadn't been in for ages, I remember a lot of people wishing they had been able to see CT instead.

it really is a matter of taste. ct has this very classy/epic/goddess-like vibe, which is amazing, meanwhile s&st is about fun/high energy. as stated before, unfortunately the dvd doesn't do it justice - and it becomes ultimately our reference for the concert. that's why i kinda have a problem with those "rank the tours" or "rank the performances" threads... there are so many elements to take in consideration and we tend to just look at the video release.

i wish we were able to have a different release for this tour. and mdna.

American Life wasn't a flop. It was a disappointing seller and it underperformed at 5 million worldwide, 1 million in the US, but not an all out flop

I mean it went to #1 in virtually every major country.

A flop would be the worldwide sales of Janet, Mariah, Britney, Gwen, Christian's last few albums.

American Life is not your typical commercial pop album. It's blunt, its experimental and people didn't get it, and they dismissed it just like they often dismiss her as an artist. It's one of her best albums imho. So considering she didn't intend for it to be radio friendly and commercial, its silly to call it a flop. I don't think we could even say it underperformed. 

• 8 months later...

It was my second tour that I attended. CT was my first and I enjoyed S&S more. CT tour was a tour to look at and be in awe of everything. Even in the last section I could not dance and sing very much cause there was too much going on on-stage that you just wanna soak in and not miss a blink of it. Hope you understand what I mean. S&S was the tour you could dance more, sing along more, jump more, enjoy more. When it ended my whole body and clothes were sweat-soaked. Depends on what you expect from attending a pop concert. But overall of course CT was better than S&S in terms of artistic achiement, that´s no question.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wish this one had its own DVD.  :sad:

@@Turuncan

I remember everybody begging Guy Oseary during the 2009 leg to include Holiday, Dress You Up, and Frozen as extras in the DVD (that was eventually released in 2010) but nothing happened. A shame because they knew fans were dying for it and still ignored the constant requests.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Saw this at Wembley Stadium in 2008 and the sound was terrible - the backing tracks just reverberated around the whole stadium - im sure it probably sounded better at the smaller 2009 02 arena

Pretty much a mixed bag for me and also the start(for me) her downfalls in terms of quality in her tours and subsequent albums. Highlights :

Devil(Love the moment the screens go up and the backdrop behind her with the water was sooo beautiful) Miles Away(Loved the audience participation on this) die another day & here comes the rain again backdrops were pretty cool

Lows - her image ?The fringe look ?? wtf ? Humping the stage during Into The groove ?? awful rock versions of borderline(Shocking to do this to such a great pop song)dress you up, hung up

Neutral on LAP remix ? sometimes i like it - other times im not sure

I would rate this 4 and a half stars out of ten and after coming off 2 great tours(RIT & CT) was a major letdown for me - maybe it was the fact she longer had Guy anymore and wanted to prove how "young and hot" she still was ?

• 2 weeks later...

I would rate this 4 and a half stars out of ten and after coming off 2 great tours(RIT & CT) was a major letdown for me - maybe it was the fact she longer had Guy anymore and wanted to prove how "young and hot" she still was ?

I thought this should be an appreciation thread ?! :lol:

I thought this should be an appreciation thread ?! :lol:

Well, some like to spin a negative even in a thread that was supposed to appreciate the tour.  LOL!  Anyway, I loved the tour. Such a lively and fun spirited show. It also produced one of my favorite versions of "Like a Prayer".  Of course, nothing is like the classic version, but I love this version they created for the show.  The same goes for "La Isla Bonita" and "Into The Groove".  And that "Vogue" mashed with "4 Minutes" was kick ass.  This definitely was her last high energy tour.  MDNA was pretty dark and theatrical.  Rebel Heart was very engaging and a mix of everything we've seen Madonna do in the past and more. 

S&S was the first live Madonna concert I saw, I saw it in Paris and I was in the front row with all my friends so it was an amazing memory, but the tour cant be judged only on my personal emotion. I rank it in the middle of her tours. It is a great tour, full of energy and life, and I even love Hard Candy and prefer it to the MDNA album but there are things about the tour that drag it down, too many guitar numbers,too many BAD guitar numbers, too few slow songs, average to bad costums and not her best stage, but yes it is a good tour and I love the DVD and watch it often.

• 6 months later...

Sticky & Sweet was a return of Madonna the dancer, the show had some of her best choreography since TGS Imo. Yes, the costumes and sets weren't great but I have to say, when I saw the show in Cardiff in 2008 and Manchester 2009, I found them to be two of the most fun shows I'd ever seen as it was a show that was bright and fun, rather than dark and theatrical.