Songs Sung Live/Songs Lip Synched (Or So I Think :O)

Future Lover

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

I remember reading on MadonnaTribe a few years ago that when editing the Confessions Tour DVD was happening she overdubbed with pre-recorded vocals too.

Yep that's true. Most of the songs were live on the London shows but then the vocals were dubbed with the vocals she lipped to in other cities (example: Hung Up before the breakdown was lipped on some european shows but not in London. Yet her vocals are dubbed in the DVD.)

On 2/23/2022 at 11:01 PM, Curtains said:

Yep that's true. Most of the songs were live on the London shows but then the vocals were dubbed with the vocals she lipped to in other cities (example: Hung Up before the breakdown was lipped on some european shows but not in London. Yet her vocals are dubbed in the DVD.)

Do you mean she was playbacking Hung up at the most show in the european countries?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 11:00 AM, Angelo said:

yes, she used vocals from the rehearsals. Most of them are rehearsals from april 2006. 

I would argue that the DVD vocals were taken from the Hartford show ... A lot of the Hartford bootleg is literally identical to the DVD audio.

Edited by scion (see edit history)

On 2/27/2022 at 11:26 AM, Curtains said:

Yes Hung Up was lipped (before the breakdown) at some European and Asian shows, but not all of them. Same case for Erotica/You Thrill Me and Music Inferno.

I've never seen footage of a genuinely live Music Inferno on any CT show. 

On 2/27/2022 at 11:09 AM, romychelsie said:

Do you mean she was playbacking Hung up at the most show in the european countries?

Yes. She sang Hung Up live for the DVD, but it was dubbed over with the Europe/Japan track later. I may be wrong but I think the first time she used it was in Cardiff, although Fresno she may have used it also I cant remember as that was the show she used playback also for Get Together and La Isla Bonita.

51 minutes ago, scion said:

I would argue that the DVD vocals were taken from the Hartford show ... A lot of the Hartford bootleg is literally identical to the DVD audio.

Hartford bootleg?? They took the vocals from the rehearsals

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Hc492jo8PtdFGkEr9

lucky star/hung up for example. Also other songs were dubbed w vocals from the same rehearsals. She also used them in many dates

1 hour ago, Angelo said:

Hartford bootleg?? They took the vocals from the rehearsals

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Hc492jo8PtdFGkEr9

lucky star/hung up for example. Also other songs were dubbed w vocals from the same rehearsals. She also used them in many dates

Listen to Live To Tell, Isla, Jump... None of those are the rehearsal audio. Live To Tell is note for note identical to Hartford.

4 hours ago, scion said:

Listen to Live To Tell, Isla, Jump... None of those are the rehearsal audio. Live To Tell is note for note identical to Hartford.

Because they're not leaked. You're talking about the files that are available: rehearsals from 03.23.2006 and dress rehearsals of 05.10.2006. Live to Tell, Forbidden Love, Sorry, Lucky Star, Hung Up - all from 04.07.2006 (lucky/hung up leaked). La Isla Bonita from the end if the rehearsals. 

11 hours ago, scion said:

I've never seen footage of a genuinely live Music Inferno on any CT show. 

Yes. She sang Hung Up live for the DVD, but it was dubbed over with the Europe/Japan track later. I may be wrong but I think the first time she used it was in Cardiff, although Fresno she may have used it also I cant remember as that was the show she used playback also for Get Together and La Isla Bonita.

To my knowledge she at least lipped Music Inferno in full in one of the Paris shows and Fresno. The verses are clearly live usually, but i agree that the choruses sound too perfect considering the dance she's doing.

My reasoning in believing that the choruses were live was why Madonna would have a full prerecorded vocals on certain shows (event though the verses aren't hard to sing) while usually she supposedly lipsynced to the chorus only otherwise. That would mean she has two different pre-recorded vocals, even though it's clearly the chorus that's the most demanding part. Which to me didn't really made sense so i presumed she was live during the choruses and she was live during the verses and vice versa.

But then I remembered that Express Yourself on MDNA and Bitch' I'm Madonna on Rebel Heart went through different changes like these during their tours too so it could indeed be true that Music was always lipped on Confessions. What also confused me is that the background vocals are live so you can hear differences from those.

6 hours ago, Angelo said:

Because they're not leaked. You're talking about the files that are available: rehearsals from 03.23.2006 and dress rehearsals of 05.10.2006. Live to Tell, Forbidden Love, Sorry, Lucky Star, Hung Up - all from 04.07.2006 (lucky/hung up leaked). La Isla Bonita from the end if the rehearsals. 

So you're saying Live To Tell was mimed to rehearsal audio? That's news to me but the Hartford show does sound identical to the DVD.

• 1 month later...

Had to update the list once again. Hopefully this one is fully correct! :)

(Whenever I don't say anything, it seems to me that the song was always live, sometimes with some backing track)

The Virgin Tour

-Like a Virgin's high pitched "eh"s were generally lipped. Whenever she felt like it, she also did them with the playback as heard on some shows. For example, while in Portland she fully lipped them all, in Orlando she fully lipped the first one only. In Detroit and Philadelphia, she fully lipped all of them besides the one during the Billie Jean part.

Who's That Girl Tour

-During Like a Virgin's and Where's the Party's high pitched "eh"s, there was a strong backing track playing. Madonna generally did them along with the backing track, but in rare cases you could consider that she fully lipped some as only the backing track was heard. This is notably seen in the original Turin broadcast, where she lets the backing track of Where's the Party play during the second "eh" but still mouths to it. Same thing happens in Mountain View but with the first "eh" instead of the second one.

Blond Ambition Tour:

-Now I'm Following You was always lipped (obviously).

-Vogue was always lipped. Her mic was opened after the rap and she could be heard singing the very last line in most shows. There are cases where she could be heard over the playback during everything after the rap (London and Nice for example).

-Where's the Party was live with a backing track, the volume of which was louder after the Chicago show. Still, the high pitched "eh"s came from the backing track and were never live.

-Express Yourself was initially live with a backing track until the Chicago show but was lipped afterwards. She sang the opening chorus and first line of each verse over the playback during some shows (London, Barcelona and Nice most notably).

-Papa Don’t Preach was also fully live until the Chicago show, and then the two first pre-choruses and choruses (besides the very end of them) were lipped afterwards.

-The high-pitched screams in Material Girl came from the backing track. Madonna did mouth to the very last one after the final chorus in most shows as if she was the one actually doing it. However until the Chicago show she either did it live with the backing track (as seen in Houston) or let it play without mouthing to it like the others (as seen in Yokohoma).

The Girlie Show:

-Justify My Love (besides the singing parts starting after the spoken parts at the end) was lipped. On some shows she also sang the singing part after the second chorus live along with the playback (in Sydney for example).

-Vogue was always lipped, her mic is open for the first lines and then her voice fades out.

-Erotica's singing parts were live in the opening show, all of it was lipped for the rest of the tour.

-Fever was live with a backing track in the opening show, then lipped for the other shows before the American leg, where it was once again live with a backing track. It was then performed live without a backing track in the Australasian shows.

Drowned World Tour:

-Sky Fits Heaven was lipped during the entirety of the tour.

-The whisperings in Impressive Instant and Nobody's Perfect (besides the "Sorry but"s before the choruses) were also lipped.

-The entirety of Nobody's Perfect, as well as Ray of Light and Music were lipped exceptionally at the Barcelona show.

The Re-Invention Tour:

-Vogue, Nobody Knows Me, and Die Another Day were always lipped.

-The rap and autotuned parts of American Life were lipped as well.

-Into the Groove was live at the beginning of the tour and then lipped for the rest of the tour.

-Papa Don't Preach was sometimes live and sometimes lipped depending on the show.

The Confessions Tour:

-Sorry (besides the last two lines) was lipped during the entirety of the tour.

-Future Lovers/I Feel Love was live for the very first few shows and then lipped for the rest of the tour.

-Lucky Star was also lipped before the bridge for most of the tour.

-The three first lines of each verse of Jump were lipped for most of the tour.

-Erotica and Hung Up (before the breakdown) were lipped in Fresno and most of the European and Asian dates (in less shows for Hung Up).

-The choruses of Music Inferno were lipped during all the tour. On a few occasions in Europe (notably on the first two Paris shows), as well as during the Fresno show, the verses were also lipped.

-Get Together and La Isla Bonita were exceptionnaly lipped in the Fresno show.

Sticky and Sweet Tour:

-The autotuned parts of Human Nature, Holiday (2009 leg) and Frozen (2009 leg) were lipped.

-The rap part in Vogue was also lipped during all the tour.

-The beginning of Into the Groove (until "I hope this feeling never ends tonight") was lipped during all the tour. The song was lipped in almost its entirety (besides the crowd interactions and the first bridge) in Buenos Aires as well as in Santiago.

-Heartbeat (besides the "see my booty get down like" part) and Give It 2 Me (besides the end with the crowd interaction), were exceptionnally fully lipped in Santiago.

MDNA Tour:

-Girl Gone Wild, Revolver, Hung Up, Give Me All Your Luvin' and Vogue were all fully lipped during the entirety of the tour

-Gang Bang was also lipped, besides the part before "I thought it was you". At that point she begins to whisper and her mic volume progressively goes down, with her mic being completely turned off by the time the pre-chorus starts. Live vocals can also be heard right after the dubstep breakdown, where she sings over her playback, and of course the shouting parts at the end are also live.

-Celebration/Give It 2 Me (besides the verses of both songs) was lipped.

-In most shows, Express Yourself/Born This Way/She's Not Me was lipped the whole way through besides the verses, the crowd interactions and the Express Yourself reprise before She's Not Me. In a very few shows, the second half of the second verse as well as the EY reprise were also lipped (in Miami for example). Then in some shows it was fully lipped (besides the crowd interactions).

-During most of the tour, I'm Addicted was lipped besides the first half of the first verse which was live. It was however fully lipped on some shows.

Rebel Heart Tour:

-The rap part in Vogue was lipped during the entirety of the tour.

-Into the Groove in the Gypsy medley was live in the opening show but was then lipped for the rest of the tour.

-Bitch I'm Madonna was fully live at the beginning of the tour, then only the pre-choruses were lipped for a little time. After some point it was then fully lipped for the rest of the tour (besides the shouts).

The Madame X Tour

-Everything before the first verse as well as the rap part in Vogue were lipped during the entirety of the tour.

-The highly autotuned parts right before the spoken part of Dark Ballet were lipped.

26 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Had to update the list once again. Hopefully this one is fully correct! :)

(Whenever I don't say anything, it seems to me that the song was always live, sometimes with some backing track)

How does Madonna or her team decide when to make a change all of a sudden and lip sync only some parts of a song? I understand about the high notes and difficult parts, but how do they make all the random changes? Does the audio team hear that she's rough in the same parts and decides to mask it with the recorded track, or what?

17 minutes ago, androiduser said:

How does Madonna or her team decide when to make a change all of a sudden and lip sync only some parts of a song? I understand about the high notes and difficult parts, but how do they make all the random changes? Does the audio team hear that she's rough in the same parts and decides to mask it with the recorded track, or what?

I'd like to know how they decide this as well? We can onIy speculate, but I guess these are decisions taken by Madonna herself to preserve her voice, or because she wants the autotune to sound perfect. For the changes from show to show these were probably done shortly before the show in question or the start of a new leg in some cases. She can feel slightly sick or realise after some shows that the songs are too demanding to sing while dancing... Many different reasons can explain it.

For the Blond Ambition Tour in particular some of the changes seem to have happened right after a show was cancelled due to her voice problems, so it would make sense that the decision to lipsync parts of some songs during this tour came from it.

• 1 year later...

The Celebration Tour 

Nothing Really Matters: Sung live with a backing track 

Everybody: Sometimes lipsync, Sometimes sung live with a backing track on the verses 

Into the Hollywood Groove: Sung live with a backing track 

Burning Up: Sung live with a backing track 

Open Your Heart: Sung live with a backing track 

Holiday: Sung live with a backing track 

Live to Tell: Sung live with a backing track 

Like a Prayer: Sung live with a backing track 

Erotica: Lipsync, Sometimes sung live on the chorus with a backing track 

Justify My Love: Lipsync, Sometimes spoken parts live.

Fever: Sung live 

Hung Up: Sometimes lipsync, Sometimes sung live with a backing track 

Bad Girl: Sung live with a backing track 

Vogue: Sometimes lipsync, Sometimes sung live with a backing track , Sometimes sung live 

Human Nature: Sung live 

Crazy for You: Sung live 

Die Another Day: Sometimes lipsync, Sometimes sung live with a vocoder with a backing track 

Don't Tell Me: Sung live with a backing track 

Mother and Father: Sung live with a backing track

I Will Survive: Sung live 

La Isla Bonita: Sung live with a backing track 

Don't Cry for Me Argentina: Sung live 

Bedtime Story: Sung live with a backing track 

Ray of Light: Sung live with a backing track 

Rain: Sung live with a backing track 

Bitch I'm Madonna: Lipsync, live on chorus and verse with a backing track 

Celebration: Lipsync 

Special songs..

Express Yourself: Sung live 

Sodade: Sung live 

Don't attack me if i got things wrong... And the tour is not over but so far i think this is it. 

• 4 weeks later...