Did Madonna mime Rebel Heart acoustic.

Kadeem

I decided to learn Rebel Heart on the guitar but when I listen to it, it doesn't sound the same.

- in this video at the end she stops playing the guitar too early so it promted me to believe that she was just playing but not having her guitar played to the audience.

- in this video near the end she drops her pick and then stops to pick it up but the audio doesn't sound different to what it should if she was playing the guitar. You also see Monte in the background strumming at the same time as Madonna.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big Madonna fan and have nothing against her miming any act as she provides a great show with dancing and surprises.

She must have the guitar at a very low volume to the public. She sings and plays above the prerecorded track (you can hear the background vocals in "hell, yeah!"). For example, in amateur recordings of "Living For Love" it seems she does 90% of playback, but she sings all the time on the track, but for some reason down the volume, you can hear his voice live in the echoes. I think it's the same on the guitar, if you listen to the IEM of Tokyo you will realize that her microphone and instruments (she plays) sound much stronger than in other amateur recordings. If only pretending to play the guitar she did not need to hear the sound.

She must have the guitar at a very low volume to the public. She sings and plays above the prerecorded track (you can hear the background vocals in "hell, yeah!"). For example, in amateur recordings of "Living For Love" it seems she does 90% of playback, but she sings all the time on the track, but for some reason down the volume, you can hear his voice live in the echoes. I think it's the same on the guitar, if you listen to the IEM of Tokyo you will realize that her microphone and instruments (she plays) sound much stronger than in other amateur recordings. If only pretending to play the guitar she did not need to hear the sound.

Usually she plays guitar and Monte too but they different things in the song. So maybe they switch things during the performance ?

Thanks, just looking for some reassurance.

I really think she actually played guitar on this tour. "Rebel Heart", on the soundboard from the Tokyo concert, sounds like someone that just learned how to play guitar instead of just one string (like she usually does).

PS: when she played Borderline or Human Nature on S&S, you couldn't even hear her guitar.

There's a show that she said in the intro of RH "I can't hear my guitar" and someone from her team fix it and she says "Thank you".

Edit: I've found the video :silly:

0:14

That's reassuring, especially near to the end on the outro. I love her carry on attitude, if that was me I would've stopped and waited for it to be fixed.  :lol:

I really think she actually played guitar on this tour. "Rebel Heart", on the soundboard from the Tokyo concert, sounds like someone that just learned how to play guitar instead of just one string (like she usually does).

PS: when she played Borderline or Human Nature on S&S, you couldn't even hear her guitar.

I believe most of the parts were her especially in this video, as she stops playing and finds the right chord.

Personally I love the idea of Madonna knowing the guitar and being able to really play it - believe probably far better now than that of David Letterman debut. I really thought she was shedding that guitar herself during Burning Up and than came to realize not from this video but one that focused on Monte she wasn't.

But man I wish she was shredding that solo herself.  :thinker:

But man I wish she was shredding that solo herself.  :thinker:

I believe the only time she "played" a solo was on Candy Perfume Girl on the Drowned World show. she's not that trained as a guitarrist, and Monte has his pedal board right on his feet. M has to keep playing with the same guitar effect.

She usually plays just one note so it cannot be heard over Monte's.

The best example is Material Girl RIT, you can hear her note there, especially around the "boys may come..." bit.

yeah but on this tour she learned how to play the whole thing instead of just one string. as a musician, i feel it's really an evolution, and I feel so happy for her!

I'd noticed that she only strums quite simplistic chords, the basics that beginners learn C D and G usually.  Is it possible to tune a guitar so a simple chord say C could be turned into a harder to hit chord like f# for example?

she plays Em - D - C - G. those are basic chords.

the chords I use are C#m -B - A - E, so her guitar must be tuned 3 tones down. (which is weird since the guitar seems correctly tuned when she plays Who's That Girl. I play the same chords she does and it sounds the same).

the chords I use are C#m -B - A - E, so her guitar must be tuned 3 tones down. (which is weird since the guitar seems correctly tuned when she plays Who's That Girl. I play the same chords she does and it sounds the same).

Maybe she has 2 identical guitars tuned differently?

BTW I like this post because it opens a new discussion not only about M's vocal abilities but also as a musician.

What we find out is that she is strongly supported from behid and nothing is what it seems.

But even since RIT it was clear that she only plays easy chords and Monte does the hard work...

What chords does she play in WTG? And in LVER?

I believe them to be along the same lines as this tab chart.

http://www.guitaretab.com/m/madonna/184978.html

When it gets to the ending it's different because she repeats a part of it and has audience interaction, so she stops playing

yes, those are the chords for Who's That Girl!

(what's LVER?)

EDIT: for La Vie En Rose, there's a weird progression. I can play it on guitar, but I want to learn it on ukelele. I will transcrpit the chords and post them here. (does anyone know what kind of ukelele she plays? they're classified by size).

PS: I just tuned my guitar 3 steps down, playing the chords she uses on Rebel Heart, and it matches perfectly.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...