The Trinity of Pop

groovyguy

• 4 years later...

I think this trinity and artists from the 50's til the 90's is something we'll never see again.

It was so amazing. It was real magic, real talent, the essence of pop culture, of impact.

I don't want to diminish any artist, but when I look at the industry in these past 15 years, it is so decadent, It lacks "magic".

Perhaps a consequence of internet, but for instance, female singers... Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Lady Gaga, etc... They are not superstars the way Madonna, Diana Ross, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Kylie Minogue and etc are. They look like ordinary human beings making music (and it's ok, it can be nice if you like it) but they don't impress, they don't have a real cultural and artistic impact. It doesn't mean they are not talented, but it's the way they produce their work and people consume it.

Male pop singers I don't even have words to describe, Shawn Mendes, Justin Bieber, Chris Brown... I'm used to Michael Jackson, Prince, Elvis Presley, Bowie...

Anyway, what I mean is that nowadays artists have momentaneous glory days and not real cultural impact.

But that's the way things are.

Gags and Beyoncé are 100 part of the next generation of legends. Ok Gags has gone off the boil a bit but has severe health issues and Beyoncé has been in a different space creatively from pop for a wee while now but they are undeniable greats and have huge careers ahead of them. The rest you mention I love many of but they’re not in the same league as Gags and Bey who have always had a date with destiny. They’re special.