Express Yourself/Born this Way Debate

Did you think Madonna might have to actually sue this woman? And I mean was it an accident; those chords and i've  seen comparison and the same time and a match. Just curious because Pharrell just had his song sued for copying Marvin Gaye. Now this interesting Miguel has a song called leaves and not even contacting or working with he credited Billy Corgan - he thought after sounded like he was ripping off 1979 so as a precaution because of Pharrell. But music has been around decades so things will sound the same over time. But Gaga that was like steal my chords and make it sell my album for me. Was she bitter? still is?

I think the hype of it fuelled the actual issue. In my honest opinion, it's coincidence. I don't think Madonna would listen to it and honestly say "hey, omg this is Express Yourself". I don't think it was a thought. It certainly didn't help that the media and her entire fan base made the reference. So many damn songs sound so much alike. They have for decades. I'm a huge Gaga fan, but I'm hands down a Madonna boy. It excited me, at the time, that this new amazing Gaga song "worked well" with my favourite Madonna song. I made the connection-of course. But... As a musician, I know better than to think Gaga actually stole the exact chord progressions from Express Yourself. They certainly aren't exact, but they're similar. Similar, not exact. It's pure coincidence.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That happened 5 years ago and instead of suing Gaga, Madonna took some pictures with her and stated that she finds Gaga a very talented woman. She performed a bit of the song in her tour just to make clear that the songs were similar and that's it. And, maybe it's not only Gaga's fault, the producers also had something to do. An artists shouldn't be hated for making a song similar to amother, maybe Gaga didn't ask for permission, maybe they did it on purpose for the polemics, but Madonna used a sample from ABBA and you all have no problem with it just because she asked them for it and had a very successful hit. Madonna sang Born This Way on the tour and didn't even credit Gaga for it. Yes, they sound similar, but M sang lyrocs written by Gaga and that at least deserves to be credited. The fans are the only ones that still bitter for this. Madonna already forgot this thing like 3 years ago. Time to move on!Also Madonna got into Interscope right after the Born This Way thing happened, so it could've been something related to prom because the demo version of BTW has nothing to do with the final version. And at that time, Interscope wasn't very happy with Gaga's album because it's too risky. Maybe they did something like "hey, can you make it similar to EY so we can start some polemic". Then Madonna got into Interscope and MDNA began. Never forget that Madonna was one of Gaga's greatest idols, and she doesn't see artists as competitors. She thanked Madonna on her debut album's booklet. Venus useas also samples from another song, and it's not that she os reductive. If I ever start my career I'd be so proud to be inspired by a song by Gaga or Madonna, they're my idols, they make my favourite songs, and my music should sound like my favourite songs.Ps: thanks God comments by a certain user can be ignored here so I don't get too pissed. It reslly breaks my heart when I see someome hating my idol for watever reason. My relation with Gaga and Madonna is not just about the music, is more like they're my whole inspiration in life and the best teachers I've had. Yeas I know this sound childish but if I tell yout that if it wasn't for Gaga I wouldn't be here is fucking true. Artists that use their power to really make a change in some social and life points are my faves. I didn't choose Gaga as an idol for her music, I chose her for the freedom she's always reflected, and freedom on dressing, speaking, wearing our hair like this or like that is what we need. I'm not a fan of someone who goes around driving drunk or punching people in the face, or showing girls that rubbing your ass in front of a man is something that makes you cool. I'm a fan of those who try to spread useful messages, like being free to love whoever you want, to wear what you want etc. And also I am a fan of someone who is a singer and can sing. Calls herself a songwritter and writes songs. I'm not going to shade anyone, but I know that things like Myah Marie on Britney Jean, or Katy's live vocals, or Rihanna punching a fan with a microphone or making a song with someone who abused her in the past... You'll never see Madonna making a song with Guy right? And I'll never see Gaga using someone else's vocals on an album because they sound like hers, know what I mean?

If the whole thing was to create drama for promo it was a bad idea because it actually hurt the image of the both of them... but I don't believe that's true. At least I hope so because that's just very childish.

I actually stopped going a twitter much because some fans won't move on from it. Its been so long it doesn't even make sense anymore.  :stare:

The Pharrell vs Gaye estate case was a totally different bag altogether and it set a dangerous precedent actually. The are no chord or melodic similarities between Blurred Lines and Got To Give It Up - the Marvin Gaye estate basically tried to copyright the "mood" and "feel" of the song and, strangely enough, was successful in doing so (mood of a song is not protectable under copyright laws). To follow that logic, any reggae band could be successfully sued by Bob Marley's estate for example. I think Pharrell is trying to appeal so we'll see how that pans out.

Born This Way on the other hand has got the same chord structure as Express Yourself which probably wouldn't be such a big deal (many songs share chord structures, there are only so many notes on the scale in the end of the day) if it wasn't for the fact that its production echoed Madonna's track (the remixed version anyways). Gaga herself pretty much acknowledged it in an interview with Jay Leno and claimed Madonna and her team messaged Gaga with their blessing (something Madonna's people denied). Weirdly though, Lady Gaga seems to have changed her tune after that describing the comparisons as ludicrous. I think that was the core of the controversy more than anything - the fact that she was denying something that was obvious to absolutely anyone with a pair of ears.

I still think Born This Way is a great song but that whole era left a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to Gaga. 

respecting everyone's opinion here - but sorry, anyone who does not hear the similarity in the chord progression and the tone and rhythm of the melody on top is either deaf or delusional.

wasn't it someone off gaga's team that said they wanted to prove that what madonna does is indeed imitable, and that anyone could be as big as madonna is?

something along those lines.

kudos to everyone's peaceful attitude towards gaga but this was definitely a move to throw madonna off the pop throne. media and fans already said in the beginning "gaga is the new madonna"; granted, gaga kept everyone on their toes and interested about what's next with her outfits and music - and she truly is musically talented. gaga seems to lack true musical genius (or a good team) though, as with any musician who is very good from a technical point of view.

i am a musician myself too and produced one or the other track before.

(not that this would actually make me smarter than anyone else here.)

but: OPEN YOUR EARS and LOOK AT THE HARMONIES.

PS: the other thing that's ill-executed about born this way - it is a reiteration of carl bean's gay anthem "born this way" , another point in regard to non-originality.

(

)

You know I have this theory that Gaga is secretly Madonna's daughter. Remember Papa Don't Preach? Well guess what? It was actually about HER teenage pregnancy. And who was the baby? Lady Gaga. PDP was released on 1986, the same year gags was born.Omg illumanitey 667 confir. Quen of deymons and her heiress. They feuded to hide the fact that they are family.ITS TIME TO WAKE UP PEOPLE.pls dnt sue mi or tel the FIB

I love you  :lol:

You know I have this theory that Gaga is secretly Madonna's daughter. Remember Papa Don't Preach? Well guess what? It was actually about HER teenage pregnancy. And who was the baby? Lady Gaga. PDP was released on 1986, the same year gags was born.Omg illumanitey 667 confir. Quen of deymons and her heiress. They feuded to hide the fact that they are family.ITS TIME TO WAKE UP PEOPLE.pls dnt sue mi or tel the FIB

this forum slays my life

The Pharrell vs Gaye estate case was a totally different bag altogether and it set a dangerous precedent actually. The are no chord or melodic similarities between Blurred Lines and Got To Give It Up - the Marvin Gaye estate basically tried to copyright the "mood" and "feel" of the song and, strangely enough, was successful in doing so (mood of a song is not protectable under copyright laws). To follow that logic, any reggae band could be successfully sued by Bob Marley's estate for example. I think Pharrell is trying to appeal so we'll see how that pans out.

ikr? what about Give It 2 Me then? thank god the Marvin Gaye state didn't sue Pharrell then  :lol:

I dont think Pharrell is that original, he's kinda been doing the same thing for ages, but that lawsuit was horseshit and dangerous for artistry in general.

Well if Gaga is Madonna's daughter i wonder who the father is because i don't remember Madonna dating a very ugly guy that could have passed on his genes to gaga.

There's so much to hate in Born this way ( the racist & transphobic lyrics for instance) that some chords Madonna used a long time ago and that she herself borrowed are the last things to hold against this song.

That said this feud is so old, as old as gaga last #1 hit (which happens to be born this way).

I wish Madonna would have never adressed this, never used the reductive word and did BTW on the MDNA tour and be the big person here since gaga has no balls and thanked a bewildred Whitney for it (while sporting a blond ambition tour look) and ridiculing herself in that NME interview when they asked her about it. I'm not even mentionning that fake email she never got from Madonna since it was already adressed. Madonna should have steared clear away from her because she's a sick person with real personality troubles and a victimizing attitude The press had already made the point, there was no need for Madonna to dig up that dead corpse a year later even if she was asked about it. gaga was already in decline. You don't shoot ambulances.

Well if Gaga is Madonna's daughter i wonder who the father is because i don't remember Madonna dating a very ugly guy that could have passed on his genes to gaga.There's so much to hate in Born this way ( the racist & transphobic lyrics for instance) that some chords Madonna used a long time ago and that she herself borrowed are the last things to hold against this song.That said this feud is so old, as old as gaga last #1 hit (which happens to be born this way).I wish Madonna would have never adressed this, never used the reductive word and did BTW on the MDNA tour and be the big person here since gaga has no balls and thanked a bewildred Whitney for it (while sporting a blond ambition tour look) and ridiculing herself in that NME interview when they asked her about it. I'm not even mentionning that fake email she never got from Madonna since it was already adressed. Madonna should have steared clear away from her because she's a sick person with real personality troubles and a victimizing attitude The press had already made the point, there was no need for Madonna to dig up that dead corpse a year later even if she was asked about it. gaga was already in decline. You don't shoot ambulances.

Are you fucking calling Lady Gaga ugly? What does this have to do with her music? You hate her for whatever reason and you're not intelligent enough to appreciate her talent. People like you shouldn't exist, sorry. You can't even show respect to her when she's never ever said anythong bad about Madonna. We were talking about two songs that sound similar, not someone's beauty. I'd like to know how pretty you are so you can judge someone else.

ikr? what about Give It 2 Me then? thank god the Marvin Gaye state didn't sue Pharrell then  :lol:

I dont think Pharrell is that original, he's kinda been doing the same thing for ages, but that lawsuit was horseshit and dangerous for artistry in general.

If Give It 2 Me (or Beat Goes On for that matter) made as much money as Blurred Lines they probably would have  :lol:

Are you fucking calling Lady Gaga ugly? What does this have to do with her music? You hate her for whatever reason and you're not intelligent enough to appreciate her talent. People like you shouldn't exist, sorry. You can't even show respect to her when she's never ever said anythong bad about Madonna. We were talking about two songs that sound similar, not someone's beauty. I'd like to know how pretty you are so you can judge someone else.

Did you also scratch your face in anger while reading my comment ? 

FYI i work in the media, i received the promo single for Just Dance and was asked to promote it. I hated it on the spot. I hated her on the spot. I interviewed her then and she was really really ugly and fake as fuck. She kept talking about Madonna because on her press release from Universal she was mentionned so naturally we all asked her about M. She chose from the beginning to be associated with her when she has nothing to do with her. Gaga in the flesh = no charisma at all, you see somebody struggling to place the phrases she rehearsed with a baby fry voice. She willingly chose to be compared to Madonna and then did not own to it and even sent her minions after her.

I did not attack Madonna on a Madonna website. I just went on with the joke somebody made earlier. If you can't take a joke it's not my business and since you obviously are not gaga herself you should get help if you can't take anything negative said about her. I may not be intelligent but you do not sound very clever yourself. I did not attack you. You on the other hand attacked me. An intelligent person would excuse him/herself...so i'm not expecting an apology from you.