Madonna: Ray Of Light (Poll)

angelamanda623

Madonna: Ray Of Light   

102 members voted

1. 1. Which song is your favorite from this undeniable classic?

• Drowned World/Substitute For Love
    • Swim
    • Ray Of Light
    • Candy Perfume Girl
    • Skin
    • Nothing Really Matters
    • Sky Fits Heaven
    • Shanti/Ashtangi
    • Frozen
    • The Power Of Good-bye
    • To Have And Not To Hold
    • Little Star
    • Mer Girl

My least fave album from her (sorry!!!!), I'll go with NRM!

Wow, kurushiovska, harsh  :wink:   Any particular reason why?  Not to say that this is my favorite M album, but damn! haha I thought all fans were in agreement with this one.  I'm pleasantly surprised to see that I was wrong and now I'm just curious as hell as to why lol.

Wow, kurushiovska, harsh :wink: Any particular reason why? Not to say that this is my favorite M album, but damn! haha I thought all fans were in agreement with this one. I'm pleasantly surprised to see that I was wrong and now I'm just curious as hell as to why lol.

I like to play albums from beggining to end, I like Drowned World, it has beautiful lyrics and I enjoy it musically. I think Ray Of Light was the first Madonna song I ever heard in a cassette my aunt recorded for me in 1998 (I was 4) and I hated it because it was too noisy for me, i don't know... I love NRM's beat and the lyrics too, but I have to skip the other songs because I can't listn to them, really! And I don't know why. I've never liked the production, it's not the type of music that I like the most, but I'm glad that she's the queen of Reinvention and she's done every style. Maybe I dislike more Music than ROL, because I only play track 1 from Music hahaha another album that I don't like at all! My fave albums are Confessions, Erotica and Rebel Heart, I've never liked Orbit's productions. But I can say that it's such a good album of course!! It's perfect lyrically and Madonna did one of her bedt jobs at writting it so personal and deep. It's just that It's not my style.

I'm also completely over William Orbit's production work, this album is way too long and way too slow, I think it's quite overrated and sounds dated by now. I also think it's not as deep and introspective as it's generally assumed, a lot of songs feature generic lyrics like The Power Of Good-Bye. It's only the opening and closing tracks that are really personal and new to her and no surprise she did those 2 songs only from this album at her gig last month.

That said, the title track got my vote as it's one of her best songs ever!

Tough question, the whole album is fantastic, my favourite and the only one I can listen to from the beginning to the end without skipping any songs!  â˜º

I'll go with Mer Girl, I've always been obsessed by it, there's something vulnerable in this one more than in the others ROL tracks, the melody is just haunting and the last part still gives me chills!!! (from the 'Black sky opened up, blinding me...')

Best final song she did for an album IMO  â˜º

Drowned World/Substitute For Love

when I first heard this song naturally I thought that "Hmm WTH is this song about. not the catch enough!! Next!"

But then I listen this song with my headphone in the dark before sleep at one night... I just blown away!

I almost cry.. it is so beautiful and emotional song. it's really amazing experience.

if you ever listen this song with headphone then you should trying it right now.

just try close your eyes and focus on the music itself.

This album was her rebirth that's why it's seen the way its seen. It is a great album but I think she's done better and not so in-your-face-ovbious "enlightened"/"deep", and those are the albums that aren't as appreciated (AL/COADF). Frankly she wasn't as enlightened and changed as she was pretending to be back then imho, but she was on the right track artistically and did amazing perfect work from then on up until 2006. This album begins my favourite time in her career, even though I didn't become a fan up until around Re-Invention Tour days.

I voted for Mer Girl because it's one of her best songs ever, period. It's heartbreaking and transforming and very unique to her. Drowned World is also amazing. There are a lot of amazingly produced dance tracks in the middle and of course Frozen which blows you away with those string arrangements.

I'd say the album gets a bit corny with TPOG, THANTH, and Little Star. Ok the last one is for Lourdes so how can you not love it.  :lol:

I'm so happy she sang the best 2 from this album on Tears Of A Clown, among of course so many other favourites, hopefully a sign from good things to come.

I like to play albums from beggining to end, I like Drowned World, it has beautiful lyrics and I enjoy it musically. I think Ray Of Light was the first Madonna song I ever heard in a cassette my aunt recorded for me in 1998 (I was 4) and I hated it because it was too noisy for me, i don't know... I love NRM's beat and the lyrics too, but I have to skip the other songs because I can't listn to them, really! And I don't know why. I've never liked the production, it's not the type of music that I like the most, but I'm glad that she's the queen of Reinvention and she's done every style. Maybe I dislike more Music than ROL, because I only play track 1 from Music hahaha another album that I don't like at all! My fave albums are Confessions, Erotica and Rebel Heart, I've never liked Orbit's productions. But I can say that it's such a good album of course!! It's perfect lyrically and Madonna did one of her bedt jobs at writting it so personal and deep. It's just that It's not my style.

Thank you so much for answering honestly and truthfully; I hope that I wasn't too harsh with my first response.  I was just shocked!  But I've said it before and I'll say it again:  that's what I love about Madonna fans, we are so diverse.  And with everything that she has done, all of the different styles and genres, we are certainly all allowed to have our favorite and our non-favorites.  Big hugs kurushitovska for answering from the heart.   :heart:  :heart:  :heart:

Thank you so much for answering honestly and truthfully; I hope that I wasn't too harsh with my first response.  I was just shocked!  But I've said it before and I'll say it again:  that's what I love about Madonna fans, we are so diverse.  And with everything that she has done, all of the different styles and genres, we are certainly all allowed to have our favorite and our non-favorites.  Big hugs kurushitovska for answering from the heart.   :heart:  :heart:  :heart:

â¤â¤â¤â¤â¤

I have an interesting story - I have a younger straight male friend, he's a regular 25 y.o. red-blooded american man who knows nothing about Madonna's music and is obsessed with body building, etc.  Get the picture?

He's been intrigued by my Madonna obsession and I long story short, I asked him to add to his spotify, and play the "Ray of Light" album in full.  He did.  He's been obsessed with it.  He says he likes the overall feeling and how complex it is.  He reported back to me a few weeks ago that he was driving with his other straight male workout friend and had the album playing in his car.  This is what the conversation went like:

"this is cool bro - what is it?"

My friend: "Madonna"

his friend: "Madonna?" Whoa! - this is pretty damn good.

So he asked for a follow-up and after some back and forth I suggested: American Life (it's also complex)

He said it was OK and actually said he didnt like it after awhile.

I then suggested the MIXED Confessions on a Dance Floor:

He "likes" it.  Sounds too poppy and generic to him and her voice is ok - doesnt give him the same feeling as the Ray of Light album did.

Anyway - thought id share some feedback from a non fan and someone who knows nothing about her and is not her typical audience.

- Anyway, I picked Drowned World - To this day, I will never forget getting home from the midnight release and putting the album in my player and hearing Drowned World come on.  Gave me chills.  That evita trained voice on that haunting track.  Nothing like it.  Her voice was magical from Something to Remembers new tracks through American Pie/Time Stood Still - that beautifully trained voice was ultimately gone by the time the Music album came out.

hm, it's between DW, F and MG, but I choose Frozen, 'cos it's the gloomy, both kitchy and modern for the times, in fact I think it's one of the biggest middle finger first singles she's released. Back in the day things were rocky for M, first the Erotica backlash that sehe tried to amend with the consumer friendlier BS to little effect, what followed seemed to be an endless string of ballads (for both something to remember and evita) so we were kind of expecting her to slowly transform into a evening gown wearing balladeering diva and then this came!

I think part of it's good reception at the time is due to the context in wich it was released, I mean, nobody expected her to release an actual "good" album, let alone a great one. With that one album all of a sudden she was credited and seen as this big innovater, taking underground sounds blablabla, stuff she had been doing up to that point, but now all of a sudden it was cool and grammy worth haha.

All that said, as much as I loved the album back then, it's, maybe even more than others, very much a record of that time, so I don't actually listen to it anymore (this probably has to do with the fact that after ROL William Orbit worked with EEEEVERYONE, and his became the sound of every song on the radio)

It's been a long time since I listened to the album in its entirety. I agree with many of you saying that Candy Perfume Girl does not seem to flow well with the theme of the album but HEY! We're talking about Madonna here... of course she was going to include a sexuality charged song in her albums and ROL was not going to be the exception. I guess that track is the most experimental and noisy. I've always thought it should belong to the Music album, especially after listening to the rock version used in the Drowned World Tour. Now THAT was mind-blowing and all the rocky versions she did afterwards sound like lullabies  :lol: In general, there was a beautiful environment surronding her at the time: this newly reinvented Mother Earth that preached about love and forgiveness and most importantly maturity. It wasn't like she stopped caring about having a successful career, it was her own internal change that urged her to go out and explode. Ray of Light is the album every female recording artist in the pop business needs to do at least once.

Great singles, great videos, great look, countless awards: It had it ALL  :worship:

I have an interesting story - I have a younger straight male friend, he's a regular 25 y.o. red-blooded american man who knows nothing about Madonna's music and is obsessed with body building, etc.  Get the picture?

He's been intrigued by my Madonna obsession and I long story short, I asked him to add to his spotify, and play the "Ray of Light" album in full.  He did.  He's been obsessed with it.  He says he likes the overall feeling and how complex it is.  He reported back to me a few weeks ago that he was driving with his other straight male workout friend and had the album playing in his car.  This is what the conversation went like:

"this is cool bro - what is it?"

My friend: "Madonna"

his friend: "Madonna?" Whoa! - this is pretty damn good.

So he asked for a follow-up and after some back and forth I suggested: American Life (it's also complex)

He said it was OK and actually said he didnt like it after awhile.

I then suggested the MIXED Confessions on a Dance Floor:

He "likes" it.  Sounds too poppy and generic to him and her voice is ok - doesnt give him the same feeling as the Ray of Light album did.

Anyway - thought id share some feedback from a non fan and someone who knows nothing about her and is not her typical audience.

- Anyway, I picked Drowned World - To this day, I will never forget getting home from the midnight release and putting the album in my player and hearing Drowned World come on.  Gave me chills.  That evita trained voice on that haunting track.  Nothing like it.  Her voice was magical from Something to Remembers new tracks through American Pie/Time Stood Still - that beautifully trained voice was ultimately gone by the time the Music album came out.

Yes I miss this "trained voice"! Extremely sweet and voluble.

Of course of course of course... The trilogy ROL/Music/AL keeps on being THE BEST ALBUM ERA ever on her whole career.

I know... Erotica, LAP... but never it has been such a quality of album like these 3 and ROL has always always been my favorite.

She's aware of it of course. And she seems to be miss this era of quality. She proved it in a way with Tears of a clown!

You should've suggested Music instead of AL.... AL is like the opposite of ROL. I love AL more though. Confessions is poppy but I wouldn't call it generic if you listen past the first 2 tracks, or its subtleties. 

I can see why people who arent so into pop would enjoy ROL more than the rest, but to me Madonna is pop and there's nothing wrong with that.

You should've suggested Music instead of AL.... AL is like the opposite of ROL. 

Maybe the opposite as it's a very "clean" album compared to the "thick" ROL. But it's def from the same family and same era.

Oh and I'm the only one who vote for Shanti! Just to defend it. Maybe my fav of the album are Skin, Frozen & To have and not to hold but Shanti is a one of a kind I absolutely adore. Music is F* awesome on it. F* good track!!