Girlie Show Questions

null

So, the VHS has a different mix? I wonder if the laserdisc does as well.

I think the VHS is just the normal stereo mix, two channel or whatever was common on VHS and probably what aired on HBO originally.

5.1 mixes were not really done on VHS as far as I know. I think Laser Disc may have had the 5.1 mix and that was used on the DVD too. If I remember correctly the original DVD of Girlie Show that was released here in Aus (and maybe Europe and other parts) was double sided. The 5.1 mix on one side and the stereo mix on the other.

To me the audience in the 5.1 mix sounds as bad as the audience in the MDNA release, just all over the place, I also find the instrument separation odd too with parts heard in the stereo mix buried and hard to hear, especially in Erotica. Maybe because I grew up with the VHS release I am more used to that. But even on a good speaker set up I don't find it any better.

• 2 months later...

The ones you mention were not samples but actual live covers. Same goes for Born this way and that's the reason it wasn't even included on the MDNA World Tour video/cd credits. Smart bitch she is! By the way, I don't recall any Kool and the Gang samples credits on the Girlie Show DVD (woo-hoo! during EY) but there were mentions of the Calliope circus thing and the ones played during the extended outro of Everybody :silly:

She has to pay for it anyway.

The difference is that to use a sample and be able to release it commercially, she not only needs to pay but also needs permission.

If she covers a song or parts, she doesn't need permission but has to pay/credit anyway.

The BTW situation is weird, it's the only cover not credited on all of her dvds, there were rumours of a private out of court settlement but who knows...

• 3 weeks later...

She has to pay for it anyway.

The difference is that to use a sample and be able to release it commercially, she not only needs to pay but also needs permission.

If she covers a song or parts, she doesn't need permission but has to pay/credit anyway.

The BTW situation is weird, it's the only cover not credited on all of her dvds, there were rumours of a private out of court settlement but who knows...

It also depends who owns the music. If WB owned it then the clearance is easier and the fee minor. Depending on the set up the label has with its artists. In some cases she may not have had to pay as WB may have had a rule that allowed artists on the label to use the music freely as part of the contract their artists set up. Music copyright is so messy. 

There is also some odd rule that says you can cover a song exactly as it was produced and not pay a fee, but once you alter it you must pay/credit or something like that. Since Born this Way was covered exactly as it was recorded and was a snippet, then maybe that was how she got around it. Though that whole situation is odd, it did sometimes feel like Madonna was shoving it in Gaga's face as if to say just try and sue me for not paying or crediting you. 

• 4 months later...
Guest ArthurBadin

It also depends who owns the music. If WB owned it then the clearance is easier and the fee minor. Depending on the set up the label has with its artists. In some cases she may not have had to pay as WB may have had a rule that allowed artists on the label to use the music freely as part of the contract their artists set up. Music copyright is so messy. 

There is also some odd rule that says you can cover a song exactly as it was produced and not pay a fee, but once you alter it you must pay/credit or something like that. Since Born this Way was covered exactly as it was recorded and was a snippet, then maybe that was how she got around it. Though that whole situation is odd, it did sometimes feel like Madonna was shoving it in Gaga's face as if to say just try and sue me for not paying or crediting you

EDIT: Maybe because it's part of the alleged Interscope-sponsoring feud?

I remember Oseary and Troy Carter (Gaga's manager at that time) were very friends at the time. Gaga even fired Carter months after MDNA Tour.

Guest ArthurBadin

By the way, @ , thank you so much for bringing this topic to us. Never cared too much to TGS, now I'm starting seeing it with another eyes. Such an excellent work, girl!

Guest ArthurBadin

she wore her pant in Paris Bercy... it was in september and the weather was not cold!so, it's not a question of temperature

@@dens54 By the way, beloved, merci, merci beaucoup for your work through the years. I'm a very fan of yours and I am so pleased your excellent LAV remix caught M's eyes and turned to be a must in RHT. Definitively a giant contribution to M's art. Je vous salue Dens Zabee!

• 1 year later...
On 24/09/2014 at 4:06 AM, madgefan said:

I've always thought it was just a matter of temperature. She wore the short shorts in places like Latinamerica, Australia and Japan, especially the first two regions since it was spring/summer during her visit in late 1993.

Look, this is even rarer, she wore the same pants as Nicky and Donna.

Posted Image

I don't know the location though. Any insights? Anyone? :tongue:

Any chance you can re-post this image? I'd love to see it!!!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2016 at 11:38 AM, me1981 said:

I think the VHS is just the normal stereo mix, two channel or whatever was common on VHS and probably what aired on HBO originally.

5.1 mixes were not really done on VHS as far as I know. I think Laser Disc may have had the 5.1 mix and that was used on the DVD too. If I remember correctly the original DVD of Girlie Show that was released here in Aus (and maybe Europe and other parts) was double sided. The 5.1 mix on one side and the stereo mix on the other.

To me the audience in the 5.1 mix sounds as bad as the audience in the MDNA release, just all over the place, I also find the instrument separation odd too with parts heard in the stereo mix buried and hard to hear, especially in Erotica. Maybe because I grew up with the VHS release I am more used to that. But even on a good speaker set up I don't find it any better.

Also as many would have noticed you can hear her talking backstage inbetween some songs

• madgefan changed the title to Girlie Show Questions
  • madgefan pinned, pinned and unpinned this topic