Wait, but why did she re-release LDLHA?

Lum

Okay I checked both mp3s back to back and you're right, the differences are quite notable if you pay attention. :)

In the first 10 seconds you can hear synths and piano in STR version but LAV version doesn't have them.

At the 1:50 mark, in LAV version the drums come earlier, in STR version they are late.

I guess I never really bothered to check until now! :D

It's a fair mistake to make because a lot of the sounds used are the same, it is just a new mix and they have added extra instruments and little bits and pieces. Kind of like the difference between Express Yourself album version and the 7" version. I assume they were trying to give it a fresher more modern mix. Kind of pointless really because it didn't bring anything new to the song.

It's a fair mistake to make because a lot of the sounds used are the same, it is just a new mix and they have added extra instruments and little bits and pieces. Kind of like the difference between Express Yourself album version and the 7" version. I assume they were trying to give it a fresher more modern mix. Kind of pointless really because it didn't bring anything new to the song.

It gives me a HEADACHE!!  :Madonna024:

I personally love the album remix on STR and detest ALL of the other remixes. For me the album remix is fresh, contained and really well done. Baffling to see all the hate for it here, but I do understand the confusion in not spotting the differences between the STR version and the LAV version. For years I haven't been able to spot the difference between the album version and remix edit of Open Your Heart.

Same here ! I love the video version aka Soulpower remix. The video is simple but just perfect for the song :)

Same here.  I never was a fan of the song until I heard the new remix.  They fix her vocals where it was off key.  She sounds much better with the STR mix than the original.  But over time, I have to say I've just grown accustom to the song over all because it is truly a classic.  Back then, people weren't so critical of the song back then.  Personally, I thought it was an obscure cover.  Still curious why she felt to cover it since it was hardly a memorable hit with the original artist.

• 2 weeks later...

I have loved LDLHA since I first heard it on STR. The beautiful rearrangement and redoing of the song grips the ears and the soul. Back then I never knew it was originally on LAV. I love the song so I naturally like both 1984 and 1995 versions.

I am not even going to start discussing her vocals in-depth on this particular song because... the vocals in my honest opinion are one of her best on any studio recordings of a song she has done. I mean, any Madonna fan who doesn't like this song must not get her musicality and the depth/layers/complexity/flexibility of her vocals! With this song, I hear torment, languish, and wailing through her strong, tearful vocals -- and mind you she recorded this in 1984 when the public had a "young, girlish, brazen" image of her. This song is nothing short of masterful. And to think she apparently cried towards the end of the song like Nile Rodgers had encouraged her to... Wow. 

LDLHA stands as one of her most enduring and most soulful ballads ever.