Wait, but why did she re-release LDLHA?

Lum

In 1995 Madonna remixed and re-released Love Don't Live Here Anymore, previously a Japan-only single from Like a Virgin, to coincide with Something to Remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE1orzwauEwp

Does anyone know why she did this?? (This occurred before I was even born, so I have no clue)

Why LDLHA? WHY 10 YEARS LATER? WHY A VIDEO????? So many questions, so little answers.

ya my issue with the re-release was the new music track felt akward next to her 80's vocals.

There were remixes commissioned as well.  The Mark Pichiotti remix, if official, is one of her most amazing remixes ever!

That said, she also re-released "Oh Father" as a single then too, in some countries, remember that?

I think the Soulpower mix was ok for the song's melody standards, nothing out of this world but definitely an improvement to the irritating STR album 'remix' :suffer:. The video is simple but effective, let's remember it was just something to keep the fans busy during the Evita years so I guess it met her objective.

Because it's an amazing song that needed to be a single since day 1. So glad it got a proper release, although the 1984 one is still the best version.

Video was shot in Buenos Aires at the cafeteria "El Molino" :heart:  :heart: , during one day off from the filming of Evita  :)

Is the Something To Remember version really that different from the Like A Virgin version? I always thought the differences were minimal and the real remix is the video version (Soulpower Remix)...

Minimal differences ? I think they are the same ! My STR cd does not include the soulpower remix ! Well, both of them, cos I bought two copies for the 2 different backcover :tongue:

But there are absolutely NO DIFFERENCES between LDLHA 1984 and the so called 1995 remix on STR album.

It's a mistake they did. Guess the Silky soul was supposed to be on the album at the begining?

And yes she re-released this song a single. They did the same for Oh father in UK & Germany.

Mostly sad they didn't release the not so bad club remixes of Mark Picchiotti on maxis whom were only released on white labels.

Some people are seriously deaf  :laughing:

Don't you notice the use of different instrumentation on the STR version? More piano, more strings, even her voice was kind of emphasized so it sounds more neurotic: a real mess  :lord: It also has the same 80s voice we can hear when it hasn't been sped up like in Like a Virgin or Into the Groove.

LDLHA was, and still is, a classic soul/pop song, and a hit for Rose Royce when the band first released it. It was Nile Rodgers great work to recreate it for Madonna, echoing Crazy For You.Also remember that, in the nineties, covers were a thing, a very successful trend commercially speaking. (eg : Mariah's Take A Look At Me Now and Against All Odds, Whitney's I'm Every Woman, Celine's All By Myself, The Fugees' Killing Me Softly, and to a certain extent M's Fever and I Want You, and so on...)So including a remix on STR was a nice incentive for fans and fit perfectly the concept of this compilation, which was to showcase Madonna as a ballad singer with powerful vocals and great songs (hello Mariah, Whitney and Celine), notably before the release of Evita, and following the record-breaking r&b flavored hit "Take A Bow".The song did not need to be re-recorded, because M's vocals on the original track are regarded by Nile and herself as one of her best performances on LAV. (Recorded on one single take, if I'm right)I don't remember LDLHA being a huge hit, but the song got decent airplay on contemporary adult radio, the video was on MTV, picked by programmers after the success of You'll See and good sales figures of STR.Moreover, she doesn't bring it up anymore nowadays because it makes her sound old, but she was a very big fan of crossover soul acts during her teen years : Marvin Gaye, Sly and The Family Stone, and Rose Royce, who was huge in the late seventies.

The LDLHA remixes are, to this day, probably my favorite overall, with only a few of the Erotica and ROL era singles coming close. The Early Morning Dub and the Edge Factor Dubs are both in my top 10 favorite mixes of all time. It really is a shame they didn't get a wider release, but at the same time its pretty cool that they are almost like a secret for her hardcore fans/collectors. While I'm not, as a general rule, into excluding anyone from enjoying music, its still fun to find stuff that not everyone in the world knows about. It's great that the Secret mixes (as an example) got a boost from that MTV special back in the day, but its also great to be able to hear stuff like the "Back to the Dub 1" remix of Fever with the Goodbye to Innocence vocals that you had to hunt and hunt to track down. If it weren't for promo mixes or unreleased songs, I never would have gotten as involved with collecting like I did, not to mention all the awesome people I got to meet in the process.