Thirteen reasons why

Enrico

Since it first became available to stream, it's been hit critically hard for romanticizing suicide.  Many times, I see people posting on social media, "Don't watch this show!".  Don't they know, the more you say NOT to do something, the more people will want to do it, especially younger generations? 

I haven't watched it, but the more I keep hearing about it, the more interested I become.  Though, I grew up watching TV and movies many people deemed poison for the youthful mind.  Yet, I never thought just because I saw something on TV or in the Movies, it's something I should do in my real life.   And I never recall my parents sitting down, telling my younger self, "Now, you know this is just TV?"   I also never always watched TV and movies with the proper guidance either. 

Certainly, there are individuals who are highly influential.  I get that, but I refuse to blame TV, Movies and games for the way people turn out.  They have a choice.  Even a young man can decipher what is right and what is wrong.  To me, it does fall on the parents to live by example.  They need to know what their children or watching and doing, even if some do not need such guidance or reminders. 

So I can appreciate people like Madonna and Debi wanting to monitor what their children watch and play, but I don't appreciate anyone who wants to rid the world of things they feel uncomfortable to explain to their kids.  Suicide is a real issue.  If someone is watching this show, to convince themselves that Suicide is the answer, I would say the thought had already crossed their mind long ago.  And I'm not going to necessarily blame anyone for not seeing the signs, because a lot of people who commit suicide, go under the radar, acting as if life is peachy-keen up until the day they take their life.  But again, no one is simply going to commit suicide because they saw this show.  A person who is extremely influenced by what is around them, might definitely watch the show and get ideas, but the idea is already planted in their head.

I watched the first season, it's awful and it made me feel like shit for months because I kept seeing people assume shit about things that they don't know because they never went through just because they saw a tv show. Not only does it make suicide look cool, it makes her whole revenge suicide storyline seem like justice for her because of what she went through. That TV show is so wrong, also, it pretty much gives the message that she only killed herself because a douchebag didn't tell her he loved her WOW WHAT A SCRIPT! SOMEONE GIVE THEM A FUCKING EMMY! 

The show itself is informative and somewhat a bleak and realistic way of suicide though it at times feels like a revenge/glamorization of the theme itself. Unfortunately, tons of people following the show began offing themselves in a similar way which led to the show now having a warning before the season begins with "seek help if you feel this way" message.

I applaud the show for dealing with the theme of suicide and how it affects other, the struggle of the one who makes the decision to end his/her own life but the way it's done poses the problem. It pushes this belief that once you're gone, your story is told and it brings swift justice to the ones who wronged you which doesn't always happen. It's also somewhat graphic when it deals with rape in both seasons. It's dark, different from other popular shows but it's definitely not something one should see if they are uncomfortable with the premise or are feeling down on their own selves. I admit, it did pull the heartstrings a few times but most of the time, it's a lot of dragging episodes that in my opinion, doesn't live up in the climax.

When I was in high school a girl tried to commit suicide after watching Dead Poets Society, they didn't want us to watch the movie. And what a great movie. Should we accuse Petr Weir for making a movie that touches you deeply? The thing is it depends from who you are, where you grow up, etc. I saw Thirteen season 1 and found it interesting, not making suicide romantic but fighting bulls and social medias which can destroy a life and a reputation.

It's definitely something that's relatable. I went through a binder in HS and felt lost. I cut myself on several occasions and felt like I couldn't talk to anyone. I couldn't kill myself though, I was too chicken shit lol.

To those who haven't watched it, just let me tell you - you will HATE every single character in this show at some point. And the finale episode of season 1, just be warned when Hannah is in the tub. It made me feel very weird for a few days because of how graphic/blunt that scene is.

On 18/6/2018 at 6:13 PM, Enrico said:

When I was in high school a girl tried to commit suicide after watching Dead Poets Society, they didn't want us to watch the movie. And what a great movie. Should we accuse Petr Weir for making a movie that touches you deeply? The thing is it depends from who you are, where you grow up, etc. I saw Thirteen season 1 and found it interesting, not making suicide romantic but fighting bulls and social medias which can destroy a life and a reputation.

Really? In high school we were FORCED to watch that film and write an essay afterwards. 

31 minutes ago, Rotzheimberg said:

Really? In high school we were FORCED to watch that shitty bore and write an essay afterwards. Carpe diem! Carpe diem! LOL. There's also "Heathers", from around the same time, much cooler and less pretencious.

Curiously Robin William commited suidide himself...

Forgive me, but I don't find anything funny about suicide.  I'm sorry you were "forced" to watch something you feel wasn't interesting to you.  But "Heathers" wasn't about "suicide" nor glorifying it anyway. 

9 minutes ago, Rose Mist Stud said:

Madonna is always right. Never fear.

I have a feeling Madonna was just agreeing with her friend without much knowledge of the show.  I doubt Madonna has ever watched the program.  She may have heard of it through people talking, since it's first season, people were trying to boycott it. 

• 2 weeks later...