Plagiarism?

Rupert76

Looking at this video, I start thinking that the Madonna's "Like A Virgin" performance at MTV VMA  in 1984 could be a plagiarism of this 1982 performance of "Non Sono Una Signora' by the Italian singer Loredana Bertè. 

And then, look well at 1.34: same veil, same movements when she detaches it from her head and makes it flutter. 

What do you think about it? 

LOL!  Definitely a stretch.  That said, Madonna didn't invent performing on stage with a wedding dress. It's been done many times before.  At best, (if Madonna ever saw this performance which I highly doubt), she may have been inspired to do something similar.  Many artists have done this. They'll see something and are inspired to do something like it if not similar.

Still, I don't see much similarity other than the woman wearing a wedding dress on stage, singing.  Again, people did it before Madonna and after. Fortunately, Madonna's is ICONIC. 

9 minutes ago, fiercemighty said:

For me the biggest flaw in this is how would she have seen this performance/footage in 1982-4? It's not like they had YouTube back then. I don't think they are related, I think the proximity in the performances is a coincidence. 

Now why didn't I think of that?  As if this was some huge performance people knew back then.  Again, wearing a wedding dress, singing on stage wasn't new when Madonna did it.  She just made her moment quite memorable, so anyone before will come out of the woodwork and claim she stole the idea. LOL!

7 hours ago, madgefan said:

To an unknown star? I don't think so. Madonna's borrowed from others MANY times with or without giving proper credit, let's face it.

:Madonna054:

Huge in Italy and few other European countries as she was Swedish tennis Bjorn Borg's wife! M had been in Italy a few times between 1983 and the chance is possible! I wouldn't go far on this one about coping the Italian star but hey let's say most photoshoots and looks are "inspired" ,"tributes" call it whatever you want but thats why she's the Queen Of The Universe!! 

1982-84 was the post punk era when pop would borrow from the underground, exactly what M did in her early career. Before Loredana, Debbie Harry as shown above, Patti Smith, Stevie Nicks, Karen Carpenter and countless female musicians in the 70s have donned wedding dresses or white gowns that were obvious reminders of wedding dresses.

Lace was a thing in fashion in the early 80s, so wedding dresses would also be fashionable. The wedding dress imagery was also a very common reference, especially after the global phenomenon that Prince Charles & Diana wedding was in 1981.

It was also, and still is, kind of provocative to wear a wedding dress when you're not married. Of course Madonna did it, even if she wasn't the first one to do so.

Moreover, what can you do with a veil, if you're not keeping it on your head ? Well, you take it off, and you shake your head.

So that's not plagiarism, it's just fashion and history of style.