Less is more

luckystar

Honestly, I think albums like HC and MDNA could have been more decent if they were extended plays instead of albums. Or at least albums with less songs.

Especially MDNA. I don't mind bonus songs on deluxe editions, but it was like they were trying to use every crap they made. Let's face it, MDNA bonus songs (BK being an exception) were a B-side material for singles. 

I am not against  releasing other songs that weren't meant for the  standard album, but if they are bad, they shouldn't be bonus songs on special editions of albums.

Bad songs should always be B-side on her singles, while decent ones should be kept for deluxe editions.

Even RH, as a standard edition, should have had around 15 songs, while the deluxe edition  should have had one or two  bonus songs.

Selection of songs on MDNA and RH was messy. Many bad songs appeared on standard versions instead of  deluxe editions.

I consider Deluxe editions of MDNA and RH to be standard (or essential). The other ones are just albums cut in half so record labels can make more money on albums with different covers.

It's even worse for other artists. For example Maroon 5 and Alicia Keys latest albums had the first 2 singles as tracks on Deluxe editions ONLY. :stare:

I think I Fucked Up and Best Friend are really good songs.

RH Standard edition? Come on, it doesn't even include the title track!! Which is really an insult.

Honestly I find Beautiful Scars a great track. And I also love Borrowed Time. As we have said many times, they are ruined by the arrangements. The Avicii version of BT is a lot better. I personally include Queen in the RH album, which was removed at the last minute. Also other songs that were not included are great, such as Never let you go. But the tracklist was terrible at the end. Probably because nobody really cares about a trackist but it's all about playlists. I was thinking when we used to have two sides, and so you need two great opening and two great endings. Live to tell at the end of True Blue's side A :hearteyes: and then a new beginning with Where's the party. Now that they are one after the other they are different. Or Promise to try and Cherish.

I personally do not like the whole concept of Standard, Deluxe and now Super Deluxe versions of albums.  To me, it's just confusing to the consumers.  Furthermore, why release an album called "Rebel Heart" and not even have the title track on the standard edition?  Just ridiculous! 

I prefer one edition with ALL the songs.  In fact, some of her best songs from recent albums came from the bonus material.  "Beautiful Killer" anyone?  

I don't mind what was included on all the editions though.  I prefer to get them all than not get them at all or end up leaking. 

3 minutes ago, Liam said:

I personally do not like the whole concept of Standard, Deluxe and now Super Deluxe.  To me, it's just confusing to the consumers.  Furthermore, why release an album called "Rebel Heart" and not even have the title track on the standard edition. 

I prefer one edition with ALL the songs.  In fact, some of her best songs from recent albums came from the bonus material.  "Beautiful Killer" anyone?  

I remember reading the standard was done for some reason but she later clarified that the deluxe was the official version of the record in her eyes. I know labels tend to want to rewards fans or collectors by tacking b-sides, other songs or remixes with different covers. They do the same with films now in days - Director's Cut, Unrated, Producer's Cut, Version You've Never Seen, Original Uncut etc. It could also mean a way of making a cash grab through the die hard fans even though physical sales are no longer what they used to be.

Just now, thelioncourtheart_ said:

I remember reading the standard was done for some reason but she later clarified that the deluxe was the official version of the record in her eyes. I know labels tend to want to rewards fans or collectors by tacking b-sides, other songs or remixes with different covers. They do the same with films now in days - Director's Cut, Unrated, Producer's Cut, Version You've Never Seen, Original Uncut etc.

Yeah, I remember hearing that as well.  Though, as time goes by, I wonder if the Deluxe Editions will be forgotten and the standard will end up being what's only available?  I guess it all depends on how the music industry goes.  Right now, it seems record companies are trying to release as much as possible on digital platforms.

I think she pretty much got her way regarding the double album, by having a Deluxe and Super Deluxe version of the album release, but it just wasn't organized in the fashion she wished it to be.  I'm sure also, Interscope was not ready to let her go as I think a double album would have completed her contractional obligation with them.

1 minute ago, Liam said:

Yeah, I remember hearing that as well.  Though, as time goes by, I wonder if the Deluxe Editions will be forgotten and the standard will end up being what's only available?  I guess it all depends on how the music industry goes.  Right now, it seems record companies are trying to release as much as possible on digital platforms.

I think she pretty much got her way regarding the double album, by having a Deluxe and Super Deluxe version of the album release, but it just wasn't organized in the fashion she wished it to be.  I'm sure also, Interscope was not ready to let her go as I think a double album would have completed her contractional obligation with them.

Agreed. I think that's why certain songs like Queen, the second version of Iconic and Joan of Arc (Acoustic) were given the axe due to the time limitation. It was the final Super Deluxe that was passed around until the final release version replaced it with two remixes of Living For Love.

I sure hope not. The standard is good for Walmart or chains that don't carry the explicit version because who'd want to hear "It might seem like I'm an unapologetic [silence]" or "[silence] I'm Madonna", "[silence] me up a little" or [silence] Get off my pole." They always stick out like a sore thumb and I'm sure there's an explicit standard as well but it's so unnecessary as it does exclude the title track. One of the oddest decisions but given her stance, it seemed more of a label decision rather than her own.

6 minutes ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

Agreed. I think that's why certain songs like Queen, the second version of Iconic and Joan of Arc (Acoustic) were given the axe due to the time limitation. It was the final Super Deluxe that was passed around until the final release version replaced it with two remixes of Living For Love.

I sure hope not. The standard is good for Walmart or chains that don't carry the explicit version because who'd want to hear "It might seem like I'm an unapologetic [silence]" or "[silence] I'm Madonna", "[silence] me up a little" or [silence] Get off my pole." They always stick out like a sore thumb and I'm sure there's an explicit standard as well but it's so unnecessary as it does exclude the title track. One of the oddest decisions but given her stance, it seemed more of a label decision rather than her own.

Yeah, but the Standard versions didn't even exclude songs that have explicit language, even though there was a censored version of the 14 track. However, there was one of the 19 track version too. 

To me, that whole album release was quite messy, even though, I love every song on it.  When I listen to Rebel Heart, it's the Super Deluxe version.

2 minutes ago, Inco said:

12-14 songs are excellent more 3-4 b-sides in singles = perfection

The problem is; B-Sides don't really exist anymore.  Those are great for Physical releases.  Anymore, singles are released as stand alones with one track. 

I'm not a huge fan of "Queen", but I think it would have made a great final song on the album.  And since RH is a mixed bag, it would definitely fits on the album.

I wonder if the deluxe and standard are just used now days for the physical releases, like, obviously a CD won't fit a 'super deluxe' track list onto one CD.

But really in the day of streaming, it makes absolutely no difference whether it's a standard, deluxe, super deluxe, or everything and the kitchen sink.

6 minutes ago, Jackie said:

I wonder if the deluxe and standard are just used now days for the physical releases, like, obviously a CD won't fit a 'super deluxe' track list onto one CD.

But really in the day of streaming, it makes absolutely no difference whether it's a standard, deluxe, super deluxe, of everything and the kitchen sink.

Spotify holds mostly deluxe editions.

Exactly, only for physical releases as labels can cash in more