MDNA will be appreciated more in the future

anel_

Good topic, I like the positive attitude. I was just thinking the same thing the other day when re-listening to the full album.

On a personal account, however, I seem to have a problem with 'Some Girls', as I heard the early demo by Bebe Rexha that sounded just like the finished Madonna song. This is why I can't really get into this track. Madonna's voice also doesn't sound like hers. It is an altogether very enjoyable song though.

Tracks such as the indie genie that is Gang Bang, the witty chemical disco of I'm Addicted, the delicious Love Spent, the Orbit-meet-the Beatles I'm a Sinner - and of course the most heartfelt among Madonna's late ballads, Masterpiece, all give the album some real dignity.

I even started to appreciate Superstar after it was issued as a single in Brazil (I loved the fan-made artwork).

Turn Up the Radio is a banger, let's say it - and I uber-ADORE the MIA rap on GMAYL.

That said, MDNA remains easy pop music, probably fabricated in between thousand other projects (i.e. the W.E. film, the Superbowls), which might justify the so-many fillers (i.e. I Don't Give A, the already mentioned Some Girls, and all the bonus tracks minus Best Friend, which I find moving)

The CD cover was amazing and the tour did fantastic though - and that's all that matters really. Lol.

16 hours ago, MagiC said:

Good topic, I like the positive attitude. I was just thinking the same thing the other day when re-listening to the full album.

On a personal account, however, I seem to have a problem with 'Some Girls', as I heard the early demo by Bebe Rexha that sounded just like the finished Madonna song. This is why I can't really get into this track. Madonna's voice also doesn't sound like hers. It is an altogether very enjoyable song though.

Tracks such as the indie genie that is Gang Bang, the witty chemical disco of I'm Addicted, the delicious Love Spent, the Orbit-meet-the Beatles I'm a Sinner - and of course the most heartfelt among Madonna's late ballads, Masterpiece, all give the album some real dignity.

I even started to appreciate Superstar after it was issued as a single in Brazil (I loved the fan-made artwork).

Turn Up the Radio is a banger, let's say it - and I uber-ADORE the MIA rap on GMAYL.

That said, MDNA remains easy pop music, probably fabricated in between thousand other projects (i.e. the W.E. film, the Superbowls), which might justify the so-many fillers (i.e. I Don't Give A, the already mentioned Some Girls, and all the bonus tracks minus Best Friend, which I find moving)

The CD cover was amazing and tour did fantastic though - and that's all that matters really. Lol.

Superstar is a really cute song. Some of the songs are quite bright and bubbly (turn up the radio, gmayl, supestar and I’m a sinner)

If you'll allow me to be less than positive for a post, I just realized that MDNA is the first M album that made me want to change stuff about it.

I'm using the Deluxe cover, because the main one is much weaker in comparison, and I've also had to actually edit the music itself. I removed the ending of B-Day Song, because it was awful. I usually love meta stuff, but the "happy birthday" noise made me really mad. I also removed the "betch" from "I Don't Give A". I also took out the gunshot from "Beautiful Killer". Just why was it even there?!

This trend of me thinking I know better than a legend continued with Rebel Heart, where I removed the Iconic intro (no Mike Tyson for me, thanks!), the Auto-Tune Baby intro (why aren't baby noises used as a torture device?!) and really made my own choices with the covers, because that album had a shitload of covers, and barely a decent one among them.

zh4Voaa.gif

Here's hoping that the next album will be perfect just the way she completes it, and that I won't have to edit/remove unpleasant things that would otherwise ruin entire songs for me.

I'm looking forward next to read;  "I removed Madonna from the project because who cares about her vision, and she doesn't know what she's doing, even though I'm a cashier at Burger King!"  :Madonna034:

53 minutes ago, Liam said:

I'm looking forward next to read;  "I removed Madonna from the project because who cares about her vision, and she doesn't know what she's doing, even though I'm a cashier at Burger King!"  :Madonna034:

Well, if in your opinion all of Madonna can be boiled down to a gunshot sound and some random people singing happy birthday or perhaps a rapist delivering a self empowerment message, then down the toilet she goes... :drama:

I'm all for differences of opinion because what may be the worst output from Madonna (from a fan) may be another fan's favorite.

For me, when MDNA came out, I adored it. I remember when both covers were released and she got a lot of praise for it being reminiscent to True Blue (I think that was the connection they made) and the slow teasing from the snippets Perez Hilton posted on his site back in the day. I'm Addicted and Love Spent were definitely the ones that stuck out for me along with Gang Bang. When the album came out, sure, I played it to death and any new music from Madonna was sure to be a welcome treat. Years later, now I see some of the weaknesses of the record itself.

The mastering, production and sometimes the overprocessed vocals kill some of the song's potential especially the biggest offender - the acoustic mix of Love Spent which could have benefited from a retake/softer vocal style similar to her live performance. Some songs go off, others sound like they were recorded in an echo chamber, some are really well-done while others you feel are half-baked to an extent especially when she brought them to life on the tour which was magnificent live. (Not the seizure inducing DVD) There's a lot of heart in the project especially the personal tracks which deal with her heartbreak and scorn over her divorce at the time. Fans are divided about tracks like "I Fucked Up, Best Friend" but those lyrics say a lot despite not carrying the best melody or production attached to it. Especially the build up in "I Fucked Up" where she states all the things they could have done together, heart wrenching.

The approach to this album was an odd one. No promotion outside of the SB and some Facebook chats with Fallon until the tour so when the radio deal for GMAYL wore off and the next two singles came and went, that was it. She definitely had a lot going on at the time with several ventures, the film, the Superbowl prep, perfumes that I personally felt this is one of those times she made an album to tour since a lot of the writers' demos were briefly changed, Orbit's recollection of how rushed Madonna was this time around, several reasons. It may not be one of Madonna's strongest offerings and I don't see it getting the acclaim a lot of her misunderstood/underappreciated records have because it's almost a collection of ideas that feel underutilized. The potential's there, the aesthetic was definitely there, the tour was amazing but the music and the album itself, in my opinion, was disappointing.

46 minutes ago, The Same Parts said:

Well, if in your opinion all of Madonna can be boiled down to a gunshot sound and some random people singing happy birthday or perhaps a rapist delivering a self empowerment message, then down the toilet she goes... :drama:

Actually, I personally do not take issue with any of that.  Still and even so, that's just a couple of songs.  There are plenty of other songs that are fantastic.  But of course, it's subjective,  and I'm not the sort of person who comes into a conversation to find every silly fault it may have or assume that it's something she didn't put much thought into.  If you don't like it, that's fine, but let's not assume Madonna dropped the ball on this one or didn't have any great ideas for this record.  Definitely, I agree it's not cohesive.  And yes, there are some silly songs on the record, but guess what?  She tends to put a lot of non-serious songs on her albums.  "Birthday Song" is obviously an off the cuff song that one wouldn't expect Madonna and Mia to do.  It seemed to be something fun and light.  Many of her albums have always included something off beat and fun, as far back as 80's albums. 

8 minutes ago, Liam said:

Actually, I personally do not take issue with any of that.  Still and even so, that's just a couple of songs.  There are plenty of other songs that are fantastic.  But of course, it's subjective,  and I'm not the sort of person who comes into a conversation to find every silly fault it may have or assume that it's something she didn't put much thought into.  If you don't like it, that's fine, but let's not assume Madonna dropped the ball on this one or didn't have any great ideas for this record.  Definitely, I agree it's not cohesive.  And yes, there are some silly songs on the record, but guess what?  She tends to put a lot of non-serious songs on her albums.  "Birthday Song" is obviously an off the cuff song that one wouldn't expect Madonna and Mia to do.  It seemed to be something fun and light.  Many of her albums have always included something off beat and fun, as far back as 80's albums. 

I feel you're addressing other people's comments. But it's great that you're explaining where your insulting initial reaction to my post was coming from. I accept your apology for being classist and implying that the opinions of minimum wage workers are worthless.

Anyway, I never said it wasn't cohesive or that she dropped the ball or that there are any silly songs on it. I just had a moment of sincerity where I explained how making a few tiny changes to it greatly improved the album for me.

15 minutes ago, The Same Parts said:

I feel you're addressing other people's comments. But it's great that you're explaining where your insulting initial reaction to my post was coming from. I accept your apology for being classist and implying that the opinions of minimum wage workers are worthless.

Anyway, I never said it wasn't cohesive or that she dropped the ball or that there are any silly songs on it. I just had a moment of sincerity where I explained how making a few tiny changes to it greatly improved the album for me.

Tiny changes my ass!!  LOL!  Look, I'm just having a spirited discussion.  I've insulted no one, nor am I apologizing!  Feel free to insert your assumptions as you of me and of Madonna, but you're way off.  Also, I was simply making a sarcastic joke regarding the Burger King comment.  Lighten up!  No wonder why you take issue with "Birthday Song".  :04:

2 hours ago, bstranger said:

I think it will be remained as Madonna's weakest studio album ever and the single choices were so bad too. 

I don’t think any of Madonna’s albums will be thought of as weak. All of them are masterpieces including MDNA 

3 hours ago, bstranger said:

I think it will be remained as Madonna's weakest studio album ever and the single choices were so bad too. 

Agreed. But as it has been established, she did not have the time, she was busy doing W.E both post production and then promotion, plus her perfume line and Lourdes clothing line - plus Super Bowl - but that aside, although her weakest, it still had its gems, I still love Gang Bang, Love Spent and Girl Gone Wile.

On 22/05/2018 at 2:33 PM, The Same Parts said:

Falling Free (Ferry Corsten Remix) is the best remix of a Madonna song this decade for me.

I also feel Offer Nissim really leveled up with his GGW and TUTR remixes, they're both amazing and helped me see him in a new light.

P.S. Do we still not know who Justin Cognito is?

IMHO, Ferry Corsten and Offer Nissim are terrible electronic acts, they remind me of the time when M would have all her singles remixed by Tracy Young, awful techno-trance that sucks the soul out of every lyric with oh so repetitive and generic synths. I know all these DJs have their fans and have crafted part of the electronic sound of the 1990s and 2000s but I was never touched by big room style remixes, that always sound the same and strip the melody off every song.

I'm Addicted, GMAYL, I'm a Sinner, Love Spent, Beautiful Killer (but the lyrics though :thinker:), Falling Free, I Fucked Up, Best Friend are good, solid, well-written tracks. The rest is at least forgettable (TUTR), or unnecessary (B-Day song).

I always thought most MDNA songs refer to previous M staple tracks and she tried to rewrite, revamp, upgrade, electronically enhance them. Some are obvious like the Orbit songs. I'm Addicted is Rescue Me, GMYAL is Like a Virgin, Gang Bang is Thief of Hearts, I Don't Give A is American Life, etc. That's my understanding of the concept behind MDNA, but it didn't work out, it was too complicated, too ambitious and would have required much more work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2018 at 12:12 PM, thelioncourtheart_ said:

I actually love the GGW remix Offer Nissim did. :suffer:

Agreed.  I actually love all the remixes for this song.  I especially love the Justin Cognito remix 

Guest Sonny

One of MDNA's biggest flaws is certainly the tracklist. It's just messy and all over the place. A few years ago I found out about an "original tracklist" which had been unveiled by several music publications shortly before the GMAYL release. I re-arranged the order of the songs on my iTunes the way it was originally meant to be and I was surprised by how cohesive the album sounds. Here it is:

Girls Gone Wild; Gang Bang; I'm Addicted; Some Girls; I Don't Give A; Turn Up the Radio; Give Me All Your Luvin'; B-day Song; Superstar; I'm a Sinner; Masterpiece; Falling Free; Love Spent; I F---ed Up; Beautiful Killer

Love Spent was (shockingly) a Deluxe bonus track and Best Friend was missing at that point. But imo it sounds much better like this. First EDM, then Pop, then ballads.

PS. This is my first post so I just wanna say HELLO to everyone!