MDNA will be appreciated more in the future

anel_

The only songs I ever felt a personal connection to on MDNA were I Fucked Up and Falling Free. I didn't mind sitting out this era really, I had a lot on my mind at the time with my father dying and going through a very destructive phase afterwards. I just wasn't really interested in much and since then music has become something different for me. It's either at the resting heart rate or binaural beats or playing the piano as music therapy. So for that reason MDNA and anything else that came after, unless I can take what I need from it straight away, it's not really for me. I don't mind being in the minority. I was never really an album person but could lift certain tracks off them and enjoy them as standalone pieces and Madonna has many of those I can listen to alongside other artists whose work I can relate to or discover something new in. At the moment listening a lot to fellow autistic artist Robin Plays Chords. So for me, 2012 wasn't about MDNA but those two tracks that helped me get through a difficult time. What she gave on those two songs gave me what I needed. 

My Top 5:

1) Girl gone wild

2) Masterpiece

3) I don't give a (I adore the bridge: and if I was a failure, I don't give a...)

4) Turn up the radio (loved it since the beginning, I don't know what to say)

5) I'm addicted I think, but also Gang Bang, Love spent, I'm a sinner, I fucked up. I am not really a Falling free fan, and probably the track I love less is, apart from Bday, Some girls.

But I still listen to this album with great pleasure, probably more than, say... Like a virgin album.

It's not a bad album, but is my least favourite. It feels like it was made with commercial success in mind, and whenever she does that it doesn't feel genuine. This one in particular comes across as a bit soulless and cold.

But I do appreciate it more as time goes by, and the only problem I really have with this record are her vocals on some of the songs (as on all of her releases since 2008 really). Standouts: Falling Free, Love Spent and Beautiful Killer

there is the odd gem but as a whole the production is awful

i disliked the album on release and presumed it would grow on me. i like it even less now.

that being said i hated confessions on a dancefloor and still only consider it average now.

i also think hard candy is exceptional and erotica is her strongest work

i also think ray of light has dated really badly

my opinions don't seem to chime with the bulk of the fanbase

6 hours ago, anel_ said:

Erotica, Bedtime Stories, American Life and Hard Candy have gone through the struggle where they weren’t appreciated and acknowledged at first. Usually 5+ years later is when they are given another chance and are loved amongst the fans. We can all agree with this statement

I would say that maybe some fans didn't appreciated those albums at first. It was the media who failed to see the brilliance of albums like Erotica.

I wound't even put HC next to those albums. 

HC and MDNA will remain Madonna's weakest albums for the obvious reasons. Time won't change that.

Some songs were so tacky and badly done like Masterpiece which is so boring and demo-esque. 

TUTR, Superstar, I Fucked Up... They sounded like Katy Perry songs, yet even she wouldn't touch those.

The album has some good, even great songs, but there are so many bad songs in between.

I refuse to think she was satisfied with this work.

The only thing I can agree here is MDNA is not very cohesive, but most artist's albums aren't anymore.  That doesn't make the album bad though.  That doesn't mean she didn't care about music either.  Nor did it mean she wasn't present or focused on the album. 

The fact is, it's the first album that really didn't generate a genuine hit.  A lot of that is due to her age and how the music industry does not go out of their way to play or promote older artists.  GMAYL would not hit top ten if it didn't have the sales and radio push that first week due to the Super Bowl. 

Anyway, she's been in the business long enough to know what the hell she's doing.  35 years is a long time to be on top. Certainly, she isn't going to score every time. No one in any profession can sustain being a top seller or successful that long.  And the longer you are around, the more polarizing you become.  And Madonna has proven to be quite diverse and so that creates a division among even her fan base.  I have no doubt though she will always be highly famous and make waves when releasing new music or projects.  Unfortunately, I don't think it will make the impact like when she was younger.  People pay less attention to her because some say, "eh, it's just Madonna!".  When she's dead and buried,  people will finally give her just dues.  It's a shame even since we've lost some 80's iconic entertainers in the last 10 years, and Madonna is still tossed aside. 

Wasn't this her divorce album ?? I always wondered if the album had been a hit like Confessions was or even ROL that fans would still give it the drubbing that they do ? i dont think its a perfect album - it was a poor choice of singles to start with - accompanied by even worse videos (TUTR and GGW are so lame and cringey - i cant even watch them) the artwork was very nice and way better than HC - i say it a lot but gonna say it again - i love orbits work on this and i think Falling Free is a beautiful song in both lyrics and sonically - i would have loved this to have been a single and its a shame it was dropped from the tour - i also love some girls, love spent(the acoustic mix is better i think) and masterpiece is a nice song too - i hate solveigs work on this - hes probably the worst producer shes ever worked with - glad she didnt hang on to him for another album. I would probably rate it 6 and a half out of ten.

The MDNA tour is another topic though.....

4 hours ago, mikeyaj said:

there is the odd gem but as a whole the production is awful

i disliked the album on release and presumed it would grow on me. i like it even less now.

:laughing::laughing:

Maybe it's not the most coherent album in her catalogue because it has songs from here and there, but it has some very nice songs to listen to.

4 hours ago, luckystar said:

Some songs were so tacky and badly done like Masterpiece which is so boring and demo-esque. 

TUTR, Superstar, I Fucked Up... They sounded like Katy Perry songs, yet even she wouldn't touch those.

The album has some good, even great songs, but there are so many bad songs in between.

I refuse to think she was satisfied with this work.

Of course it has some very nice songs! :laughing:

Yeah maybe it's not a bad album at all, because some of the songs have great vocals, but it's not an album we listen very often I think. serlg4.jpg

So... yes it has some (very few) great songs individually considered, but as a whole package it fails big time. :Madonna029:

It's a terrific album to me, personally, and works in the storyline of the breakdown of her marriage, from Hard Candy to MDNA and then Rebel Heart. Superstar is the only track that is kinda poor, but the rest are all pretty killer. Gang Bang remains the ultimate breakup song, whilst the sadness that tinges Turn Up the Radio is nothing to be ignored. Great album, far from being one of her worst, and I do hope it gets the appreciation it deserves soon.

4 hours ago, luckystar said:

I would say that maybe some fans didn't appreciated those albums at first. It was the media who failed to see the brilliance of albums like Erotica.

I wound't even put HC next to those albums. 

HC and MDNA will remain Madonna's weakest albums for the obvious reasons. Time won't change that.

HC is definitely not weak imo

5 minutes ago, heartcore said:

It's a terrific album to me, personally, and works in the storyline of the breakdown of her marriage, from Hard Candy to MDNA and then Rebel Heart. Superstar is the only track that is kinda poor, but the rest are all pretty killer. Gang Bang remains the ultimate breakup song, whilst the sadness that tinges Turn Up the Radio is nothing to be ignored. Great album, far from being one of her worst, and I do hope it gets the appreciation it deserves soon.

I don’t think there is such a thing as the worst Madonna album. There I said it!!

2 hours ago, anel_ said:

I don’t think there is such a thing as the worst Madonna album. There I said it!!

I actually agree.  I even a hard time deciding what is my favorite album because I love them all in there own special way. Certainly, there are key albums that I like better, but there isn't an album that I consider her worst.  I enjoy too much of her albums to say any is such.

I just listened to the whole album today to work. Still a very poor album. Don't get the love that bDay song, Superstar, Gang Bang and I don't give a ... get but down to personal tastes. I will never like these songs.

But me personally, I only loved Love Spent, Falling Free and Some Girls (grew on me years later). 

16 minutes ago, Liam said:

I actually agree.  I even a hard time deciding what is my favorite album because I love them all in there own special way. Certainly, there are key albums that I like better, but there isn't an album that I consider her worst.  I enjoy too much of her albums to say any is such.

Same. I have my favourite albums but I appreciate them all the same way