Erotica had Dita, Hard Candy had M-Dolla, which other personas did we have?

GhostOrchid

1 hour ago, Candy Perfume Boy said:

Breathless Mahoney for I’m Breathless...

That was a character from a movie.  She never embodied that as a persona in any particular era. 

It's just DITA folks.  This is a persona.character she promoted with, etc.  I guess one could say "Boy Toy" and "M-Dolla", but those are more like tag names.  MATERIAL GIRL is more of a media nickname that she never really cared to be.  She was also called Ethereal Girl or Maternal Girl during Evita and throughout Ray of Light years. 

"M" ; many of her dancers/employees and friends call her.

"Esther" is the name she took from Kabbalah.  Much like In 1966, she had her First Communion and, when confirmed a year later took on the name "Veronica" as part of her real name. 

"Nonnie" was her nickname when she was younger being she had the same name as her mother.

"Madge" is what people call her in the media or those who act like they know her, and claim to call her.

Rosie O'Donnel jokingly calls her "Mo" as Madonna has been known to call her "Ro".

"Mambo" is what her two adopted girls first called her and it's stuck.

1 hour ago, Liam said:

That was a character from a movie.  She never embodied that as a persona in any particular era. 

It's just DITA folks.  This is a persona.character she promoted with, etc.  I guess one could say "Boy Toy" and "M-Dolla", but those are more like tag names.  MATERIAL GIRL is more of a media nickname that she never really cared to be.  She was also called Ethereal Girl or Maternal Girl during Evita and throughout Ray of Light years. 

"M" ; many of her dancers/employees and friends call her.

"Esther" is the name she took from Kabbalah.  Much like In 1966, she had her First Communion and, when confirmed a year later took on the name "Veronica" as part of her real name. 

"Nonnie" was her nickname when she was younger being she had the same name as her mother.

"Madge" is what people call her in the media or those who act like they know her, and claim to call her.

Rosie O'Donnel jokingly calls her "Mo" as Madonna has been known to call her "Ro".

"Mambo" is what her two adopted girls first called her and it's stuck.

Yeah but the entire I'm Breathless is from the perspective of Breathless Mahoney. Very conceptual, in the style of the 30's, so technically that's an era.. I guess

36 minutes ago, GhostOrchid said:

Yeah but the entire I'm Breathless is from the perspective of Breathless Mahoney. Very conceptual, in the style of the 30's, so technically that's an era.. I guess

Nah, she never did anything with it.  She just released the album, headed out on tour and Dick Tracy, the movie was released in midst of her touring. Erotica is the only true era where she took on a character, went on interviews, released a coffee book, all as Dita!  She never took on "Breathless" except in the movie.  It wasn't really an era as the LAP era transitioned into the Blond Ambition era.  Her persona at the time was channeling the whole "Vogue" vibe, not Breathless.

36 minutes ago, GhostOrchid said:

Okay if we agree that Dita is the only true persona, than you have a point. But if we expand this a little and talk about M-dolla, Veronica Electronica and others, then Breathless is in that bunch for sure! And we wouldn't have the Vogue vibe if it weren't for Miss Mahoney.

No!  "Vogue" didn't not come from "Miss Mahoney".   It had nothing to do with "Breathless".  She recorded that song, and it was to be included as a B-side of a Like A Prayer track "Keep It Together".   This was before she even started Dick Tracy.  Though, her people insisted that it was too good to pass up as just a B-Side and eventually became a single.  "Vogue" was it's own entity.  As the video was conceived, she decided to tie it into "Old Hollywood" which kinda fit into the songs for Dick Tracy and that's why she included it on the "I'm Breathless" album.  Again, "Breathless" was simply a character from a movie she was in. It's nothing of the sort like "Dita" whom she actually embodied as a character while promoting and releasing Erotica and Sex.  

Also, "Veronica Electronica" was merely an idea for a remix album that never materialized.  Again, that name didn't have much significant to whom she embodied in the era of "Ray of Light".  No one referred to her as "Veronica Electronica" in this period.  Again, she was referred to by the media as "Ethereal Mother/Girl" and "Maternal Girl".  But again, she didn't really use those names to create a character to promote the album.

M-Dolla was simply a tag named used on some of the promotional items/images  for Hard Candy as well as the album. Again, she didn't not embodied any such character as "M-Dolla". 

The closest to "Dita" would be "Boy Toy", but again that's more of a tag name.  She really didn't embody that as a character, yet at the time, her persona derived from a street wise flirt which one could say was a "Boy Toy". 

9 hours ago, Liam said:

No!  "Vogue" didn't not come from "Miss Mahoney".   It had nothing to do with "Breathless".  She recorded that song, and it was to be included as a B-side of a Like A Prayer track "Keep It Together".   This was before she even started Dick Tracy.  Though, her people insisted that it was too good to pass up as just a B-Side and eventually became a single.  "Vogue" was it's own entity.  As the video was conceived, she decided to tie it into "Old Hollywood" which kinda fit into the songs for Dick Tracy and that's why she included it on the "I'm Breathless" album.  Again, "Breathless" was simply a character from a movie she was in. It's nothing of the sort like "Dita" whom she actually embodied as a character while promoting and releasing Erotica and Sex.  

Also, "Veronica Electronica" was merely an idea for a remix album that never materialized.  Again, that name didn't have much significant to whom she embodied in the era of "Ray of Light".  No one referred to her as "Veronica Electronica" in this period.  Again, she was referred to by the media as "Ethereal Mother/Girl" and "Maternal Girl".  But again, she didn't really use those names to create a character to promote the album.

M-Dolla was simply a tag named used on some of the promotional items/images  for Hard Candy as well as the album. Again, she didn't not embodied any such character as "M-Dolla". 

The closest to "Dita" would be "Boy Toy", but again that's more of a tag name.  She really didn't embody that as a character, yet at the time, her persona derived from a street wise flirt which one could say was a "Boy Toy". 

Okay let me say again that i somewhat agree with you about Dita being the only true "persona".

But regarding Vogue, yes I know all the facts but you got to look beyond the visible and see all the connections. Let me just remind you that filming of Dick Tracy began in February 1989! So the second she went blonde again even as early as Express Yourself video, Breathless was forming on some level. I'm not saying that she sang Vogue from the perspective of Breathless Mahoney, but that role influenced everything she did in the period 1989-1991. And I can assure you that if she hadn't taken that film role, Vogue - both the song and video - would have looked a lot diffently today.

PS. She would have at least still be brunette at that time. She even talked about how pissed off she was having to cut her hair and dye blond for the role as it took her 2 years to get her to look as it did for the Like a Prayer video, she wouldn't have given that up easily if it weren't for the film

@LiamVogue was done after Dick Tracy and during the production of I'm Breathless. 

She signed on to Dick Tracy in either Dec 88 or Jan 89 and filming began in Feb/Mar 89 until roughly June 89 (some of that may have been re-shots) She stated on the BBC Radio interview with Jackie Brambles that she started working on I'm Breathless during the filming and she spent about 8 months just writing it (at that point she stated it was the longest she worked on an album) recording/mixing was being done through the Fall/Autumn of 89. 

Vogue was to be separate from that project but I would say she was still in that mind frame when she wrote it, so inspiration may have been there. But who knows what state of mind she was in at the time. She didn't really like the song at the time she wrote it.

17 hours ago, DickTracy said:

I think she definitely embodied M-Dolla for wayyyyy too long :angryaf: M-Dolla ran thru MDNA into RH

Except during the actual promotion of Hard Candy, when she looked more like a soccor mum at certain points or a Real Housewife.

She was half M-Dolla and half in "I Am Because We Are" promo mode. I would say that persona took over more after IABWA was done. But yeah I agree that she took it past the Hard Candy era.

Vogue was written on a plane so she could have a new song as a b-side for Keep It Together.

Not saying none of the Breathless vibes didn't seep into it, but it really was designed to be separate, and not even a single.  They just tacked on that song at the end when the record company heard it & made her release it as a lead single.

Its like saying TUTBMP belongs on Erotica cuz she wrote it during the same sessions.  Or Hey You for Hard Candy.

To play Devil's Advocate, if its on Wikipedia its got to be true right? I think if the curls had been in place for this tour more than the (iconic) ponytail folks would associate Breathless with Blond Ambition. After all it is probably ver hard to do an MC Hammer dance in a tight dress. Even titling the album "I'm Breathless" is a double entendre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blond_Ambition_World_Tour

The third segment was a cabaret inspired by the 1990 motion picture Dick Tracy, in which Madonna starred as "Breathless Mahoney". During this segment, Madonna was wearing a green and white striped showgirl outfit. It included performances of "Sooner or Later", sung atop a grand piano, "Hanky Panky" and "Now I'm Following You", in which she danced and lip-synched with the dancer Salim Gauwloos, who was dressed like Dick Tracy.

tumblr_m91ftk2wEy1qffnzto1_r2_1280.gifhanky-panky-blond-ambition-1.jpg

Guest TheLookofLove
On 21/05/2018 at 2:19 PM, anel_ said:

The next one might be the bride of amazement

I read this as Bride of Chucky at first

Resultado de imagem para bride of chucky gif hd

The point is. "Vogue" had nothing to do with "I'm Breathless".  It was for the B-SIde of "Keep It Together".  For some reason, I was under the impression it was already written and recorded during the LIKE A PRAYER session, but I may be mistaken.  However, when her people and the record executives heard it, they wanted to save it for a single.  Again, this wasn't intended for "I'm Breathless".  It just so happens she was writing for Dick Tracy as well, and they decided to tack it on there.

That said, "Breathless" was never a persona she took on like she did with "Dita".  It was just her character in a movie.  By the time, she was promoting Dick Tracy, she was already touring.  She was more "Old school hollywood" than anything at that time. She embodied that and not "Breathless". 

Erotica is the only album a character  (Dita Parlor) was developed and sort of played out during promotion, etc.  It was mainly played out for the single and SEX book. 

All those others names are just tag names. She didn't embody them as characters.