‘Hard Candy’ Turns 10: A Look Back at Madge’s Midlife Meditation

groovyguy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Liam said:

I don't know anyone else who has claim the song has had much "hype".  

Big deal. I do. Sorry for not asking for your permission.

49 minutes ago, Liam said:

And so what, it was performed on "three tours".   It's not the first time she's performed album songs on more than one tour. One who hates "Like A Virgin" (the song) could say the same regarding it being toured 4 times in a row.  But of course, that is a "hit song", but my point is one could say the "hype" behind that song is a bit much and that could be true since it was a very successful song that had a lot of hype behind it.

Yes, likes of LAV are massively successful SINGLES whereas CS is not, hence me calling it an “album track” and its favoritism a “hype”.

4 minutes ago, Turuncan said:

Big deal. I do. Sorry for not asking for your permission.

Yes, likes of LAV are massively successful SINGLES whereas CS is not, hence me calling it an “album track” and its favoritism a “hype”.

I think she just loves the song and she loves to perform it.  Again, I don't see it a big deal being she usually pulls out much of the big universal hits as well.  Not that I'm really counting, but I think "La Isla Bonita" is her most performed song on tour.   That is definitely a favorite of hers as  well, and yeah that's been a pretty big hit for her, but it's a song I didn't expect her to pull out so many times. 

I can't believe it's been a decade already. Being a sophomore in high school hearing the leak and the promo teasers with the candy clock before the album dropped. Seeing the fan made covers with the titles Licorice, Give It 2 Me and Candy Shop was a hoot. I remember falling for some of them and thinking that was the final thing. I went right after school on release day to Hastings before it closed and seeing a cardboard sign with the albums there right by the music section. I haven't seen anything like that for M down here since HC was released. The promo sticker advertising "Beat Goes On" but never came to fruition. Can't believe it's been that long along with "Circus" which both records were my soundtracks that year.

The album itself I've come to appreciate over the years. With any new Madonna record, I played the hell out of it non-stop for weeks after it came out but got pretty tired of it. The singles were spot on for the record but could have benefited greatly with either "Beat Goes On" or "Devil" as the final singles. It's definitely a record I frequent when I work out but I skip the likes of "Incredible" and "Spanish Lesson." There are some great gems in the discarded material like "Pela Tute (Latte)", "Animal" and the biggest of the bunch "Across The Sky." Yes, it was similar to Miles Away but the latter is just beautiful and one of the best to come from the JT/TImbaland collaborations. "She's Not Me" is a huge favorite of mine and "Candy Shop" as much as I like to give it hell does go off live in all three renditions she's done.

And I love the original shot of the cover instead of the candy background. (yes, it's a fan edit)

Related image

26 minutes ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

The album itself I've come to appreciate over the years. With any new Madonna record, I played the hell out of it non-stop for weeks after it came out but got pretty tired of it. The singles were spot on for the record but could have benefited greatly with either "Beat Goes On" or "Devil" as the final singles. It's definitely a record I frequent when I work out but I skip the likes of "Incredible" and "Spanish Lesson." There are some great gems in the discarded material like "Pela Tute (Latte)", "Animal" and the biggest of the bunch "Across The Sky." Yes, it was similar to Miles Away but the latter is just beautiful and one of the best to come from the JT/TImbaland collaborations. "She's Not Me" is a huge favorite of mine and "Candy Shop" as much as I like to give it hell does go off live in all three renditions she's done.

And I love the original shot of the cover instead of the candy background. (yes, it's a fan edit)

Related image

That looks so much better as the cover (minus the fan edit of the title) with that background. It's amazing how the background sets the tone.  That whole pink candy thing just made it look tacky.  Though the candy theme promotional wise was still pretty cool.

Like you, "Incredible" and "Spanish Lesson" were my least favorites.  I also am not a huge fan of "Voices".  But I always felt "Dance Tonight" could have made a good single.  It's got a very 70's Bee Gees feel to it. 

I love this album. 

Banger after banger.

4 Minutes, Beat Goes On, Give it 2 me, Dance 2 Night, Candy Shop, Miles Away, Voices, Devil, Heartbeat....ok I'm listing them all :Madonna001:

Hell, even the unreleased Across The Sky, Animal and The Feeling is so Crazy are amazing! Oh and Get Stupid! 

Such a funky, fun and honest album :whip:

After all those years it is still my third favorite Madonna album :heart: After the more serious "American Life" and the mostly melancholic and gloomy "Confessions On A Dancefloor" it was a nice change. Also it was the first time she truly went back to her roots. Songs like "Heartbeat", "Candy Shop" or "Beat Goes On" could be directly from 1983 just with a modern production. "Give It 2 Me" is my favorite Madonna dance song. Killer beat and the lyrics are the credo of her life. "Miles Away" is my favorite love song in general, I can relate to those lyrics so much and "Voices" is one of her most haunting songs. Absolutly beautiful. It was her last studio album that was nominated for grammy awards (4 Minutes - Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals and Best Remixed Recording, Non-Classical, Give It 2 Me - Best Dance Recording). Critics and general public like the record while some Madonna fans unfairly give it a hard time. The album aged very well and after 10 years it still sounds as fresh and vibrant as in the springtime of 2008.

On 4/22/2018 at 3:51 PM, thelioncourtheart_ said:

I can't believe it's been a decade already. Being a sophomore in high school hearing the leak and the promo teasers with the candy clock before the album dropped. Seeing the fan made covers with the titles Licorice, Give It 2 Me and Candy Shop was a hoot. I remember falling for some of them and thinking that was the final thing. I went right after school on release day to Hastings before it closed and seeing a cardboard sign with the albums there right by the music section. I haven't seen anything like that for M down here since HC was released. The promo sticker advertising "Beat Goes On" but never came to fruition. Can't believe it's been that long along with "Circus" which both records were my soundtracks that year.

Related image

I adore that fan edit. I use it on my iTunes for Hard Candy.

I love the woodblock on some of the tracks. I always thought Incredible was about Guy as Till Death Do Us Part was about Sean. Stand out tracks for me are: She's Not Me and Ring My Bell.

I do prefer the cover with the boxing posters in the background (I did not know it was a fan-made concept) - I do love the photoshoot nonetheless. The pink candy cover does look nice on a glossy record sleeve.  I was not a fan of the title at the time and much preferred the Black Madonna title. She could have kept that title with the boxing imagery. Also, I don't like the concert title Sticky and Sweet ... I just find it a cop-out and boring. 

I hate the way Candy Shop opens the album as it sounds cheap and like a demo. I could do without the excessive Timbaland and Timberlake vocals. Timberlake vocals ok on 4 Minutes, however the rest of the album should have been M-only. I prefer the version of 4 Minutes without Timbaland's intro freestyle. I wished she would have sung some lines in the "4 Minutes ... to save the world" chorus, as she does not even say it. It makes it sound like it's a Justin song featuring Madonna like previously said. I do like the video. 

The album would have been epic if she would have gone with Pet Shop Boys and Pharrell Willams only, as originally planned. Timbaland sounded overdone by that time.

1 hour ago, Rory said:

I love the woodblock on some of the tracks. I always thought Incredible was about Guy as Till Death Do Us Part was about Sean. Stand out tracks for me are: She's Not Me and Ring My Bell.

I do prefer the cover with the boxing posters in the background (I did not know it was a fan-made concept) - I do love the photoshoot nonetheless. The pink candy cover does look nice on a glossy record sleeve.  I was not a fan of the title at the time and much preferred the Black Madonna title. She could have kept that title with the boxing imagery. Also, I don't like the concert title Sticky and Sweet ... I just find it a cop-out and boring. 

I hate the way Candy Shop opens the album as it sounds cheap and like a demo. I could do without the excessive Timbaland and Timberlake vocals. Timberlake vocals ok on 4 Minutes, however the rest of the album should have been M-only. I prefer the version of 4 Minutes without Timbaland's intro freestyle. I wished she would have sung some lines in the "4 Minutes ... to save the world" chorus, as she does not even say it. It makes it sound like it's a Justin song featuring Madonna like previously said. I do like the video. 

The album would have been epic if she would have gone with Pet Shop Boys and Pharrell Willams only, as originally planned. Timbaland sounded overdone by that time.

The photo itself is a real photo with the boxing photos in the background. The edit I used with the sticker is the fan made part but the photo is real. They just photoshopped the candy swirl background behind it for the album cover. There's a HQ photo of it out there from the album sessions photoshoot.

Can’t believe it’s been 10 years! I remember the first time I heard a clip of 4 Minutes, it was when Timbaland previewed it at the Jingle Ball 2007, and as soon as I heard that instrumental I got goosebumps! I knew straight away it was gonna be a huge hit! It shot to the top of the UK charts and went to Number 1 for four weeks! Her last UK number 1 single. It was being played everywhere and was on Radio 1’s A List. (The last time she was popular on that radio station) The music video came out a few weeks later and I loved it! Madonna looked absolutely amazing in it! It’s a shame that Madonna hasn’t hit the top of the charts since then like she did with 4 Minutes. It’s my second favourite Madonna song after “Sorry”. I became a Madonna fan towards the end of the Confessions era and I was 16 and just started work, the radio would play Sorry and Hung Up all the time, and I was like “who sings this? They are great songs” so I started listening to her back catalogue of music and I became hooked. So in 2008, Hard Candy was my first Madonna album that I was going to be buying and I got so excited. It was a great era for me and I would make my friends listen to every single fan remix I could find of songs off the album lol. It was my first concert that I went to see and I went on my own to Wembley, my ticket was about £250 and people thought I was crazy but I didn’t care, because my love for Madonna and her music was growing rapidly. I remember shaking and my heart racing when the lights dimmed and she appeared on stage for Candy Shop. I was in shock that I was actually seeing Madonna with my very own eyes. It was worth every penny. Overall Hard Candy was an amazing era for me and I’ll be getting goosebumps when we finally get solid news on her 14th album this year! I can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

The photo itself is a real photo with the boxing photos in the background. The edit I used with the sticker is the fan made part but the photo is real. They just photoshopped the candy swirl background behind it for the album cover. There's a HQ photo of it out there from the album sessions photoshoot.

Oh yes ok thanks for the clarification. I wonder what made them change that original concept as it looks more edgy and stronger than the candy. I wish they would have used both in some way. ps: I like your photo. 

6 hours ago, Rory said:

I wonder what made them change that original concept as it looks more edgy and stronger than the candy.

It was Warners decision. After that Black Madonna title, which they discarded quickly the album originally should be named "Give It To Me", it is even written on her belt if you look closely (not like "Give It 2 Me" - the song). But then Timbaland had his single "Give It To Me" from his soloalbum "Shock Value" which became a worldwide smash hit. Warner feared that people could get confused and they changed the name to "Hard Candy". The photoshoot was already done and to get a link between the album title and the photoshoot they copied the candy background into all those pictures. I can´t confirm if that is the truth but that´s what I heard back in late 2007. 

Hard Candy is what defined 2008 for me since I kept hearing 4 Minutes on MTV, radios and even in malls. Not to mention, Devil Wouldn't Recognize You is a heavy bop I like as well as GI2M, HC and Voices. I don't think it's mediocre or awful but people just don't seem to go with the flow of the music she released in that era.

Plus, let's not forget the incredible S&S World Tour. <3

14 minutes ago, KaitoXD said:

people just don't seem to go with the flow of the music she released in that era.

As I said the general public and critics did but some of the (mostly older) fans not. Plus these fans are for some mysterious reason very loud and cruel when it comes to that topic. The album and all three singles were very well received in public. Just look at the charts and what most critics said back then.

1 hour ago, MadMark said:

It was Warners decision. ... The photoshoot was already done and to get a link between the album title and the photoshoot they copied the candy background into all those pictures. I can´t confirm if that is the truth but that´s what I heard back in late 2007. 

Interesting! I wonder if the album would have been more successful or have a bigger promotional "punch" under the original artist's intent. It sounds like the project was manipulated or manufactured. Do you think Madonna got annoyed? She must have gave in? Did she choose Hard Candy as title? Maybe she was testing to see 'the results' of a product album?? I guess that title is fitting, in that case. Regarding the candy themed photos, the insert/inlay photos of various candy looked poorly done. I do like the pink peppermint cover. It does pop, and I do like the "give it to me" on the belt. Kinda sounds like "give it to madonna" is what they [Warners] were doing to her?

I do like how every Madonna album is like a time capsule. When I start playing it, my mind is taken back to what was going on in my life when it first came out and was being played non-stop. I remember being instantly drawn to "sex with you is ... let's finish what we started ... you're welcome to my party." Back then that was my go-to song. That woodblock beat got me every time. My love life at that moment "can't get my head around, I need to think about it ..." It was like as if it was written for me, LOL.

1 hour ago, Rory said:

Interesting! I wonder if the album would have been more successful or have a bigger promotional "punch" under the original artist's intent. It sounds like the project was manipulated or manufactured. Do you think Madonna got annoyed? She must have gave in? Did she choose Hard Candy as title? Maybe she was testing to see 'the results' of a product album?? I guess that title is fitting, in that case. Regarding the candy themed photos, the insert/inlay photos of various candy looked poorly done. I do like the pink peppermint cover. It does pop, and I do like the "give it to me" on the belt. Kinda sounds like "give it to madonna" is what they [Warners] were doing to her?

I do like how every Madonna album is like a time capsule. When I start playing it, my mind is taken back to what was going on in my life when it first came out and was being played non-stop. I remember being instantly drawn to "sex with you is ... let's finish what we started ... you're welcome to my party." Back then that was my go-to song. That woodblock beat got me every time. My love life at that moment "can't get my head around, I need to think about it ..." It was like as if it was written for me, LOL.

I'm sure the Black Madonna thing would have never gone well especially with the whole SJW/PC thing going on she'd be crucified. She said it best that her ideas would go over and people would not get it. The boxing theme was definitely always a part of it as some magazine shoots were already done with her in the ring and what not. I agree the original photo is perfect but the candy background was probably done to mix the candy/boxer motif. I remember reading it was also a reference to her "lady bits" by some fans.

13 hours ago, MadMark said:

As I said the general public and critics did but some of the (mostly older) fans not. Plus these fans are for some mysterious reason very loud and cruel when it comes to that topic. The album and all three singles were very well received in public. Just look at the charts and what most critics said back then.

Well this "Older" fan loves the album.  But I understand, Madonna's albums are quite different from album to album. She's quite polarizing.  Yet, I do recall before ROL, we fans didn't have all this division between fans.  Not to say, there weren't fans that like one or two album over some others, but not to the degree it is now.

But I'd take diverse Madonna anyday over her trying to recycle sounds from the same producers like many artists do. I don't think she would be as big as she is still now if she just stuck to one formula or one particular producer.