Madonna to direct ballet drama "Taking Flight"

LivingForLove94

13 minutes ago, stefo said:

Well, I think that directing a movie is not just a 6 months shooting commitment, it really isn't. The director has a main role in pre and postproduction phases too, from choosing locations and actors (as confronting with producers about the rest of the cast, like photographers, music composers or costumers) to following the editing process. It's a huge work, wich takes around 20 months.

For what I read, they still have to start the adaptation from the original book, so they are at the very beginning of the whole thing. She will be involved, that's for sure, she will have to attend many meetings and auditions, then we don't know anything about the schedule agreements they certainly already discussed.

My idea at the moment is that she has time to finish her recordings, maybe she couldn't go on a traditional world tour (with an announcement in march, the shooting could probably start next year). But we could have a different kind of promotion, who knows, 10, 15 concerts in small venues around the world, like an extended version in scheduling and shows length of what she did with Music and Confessions showcases for exemple.

And this is just the first idea I'm coming up with, I mean, she will surely find a way to not disappoint us. and make her movie :01:

I agree. And this reason I think that her album gonna be release soon. by the way you mention that small venues but I have different idea. on the contrary to your idea but same goal for you mentioned less show. Maybe she could do big stadium concert only. you know for short time schedule it would be much easier for her. Big stadium for many people as possible and less show.

15 minutes ago, brazilfan said:

Maybe she could do big stadium concert only. you know for short time schedule it would be much easier for her. Big stadium for many people as possible and less show.

Well @brazilfan, the point is that she could sacrifice the dimention of her usual productions. Huge shows really take a lot of time and efforts in the making. She also already talked about the new path she wants to take with her future shows.

But it's too early for this, really too early. The main thing at the moment is that her work on the new album is much more than started and I don't think that this news gives us reason to be preoccupied it will be interrupted or shortened.

Anyway I'm sure she will very soon have to reassure a lot of her fans on Instagram

11 minutes ago, stefo said:

You're right, I didn't consider this possibility. Anyway they don't have a script yet, nor an actor. I think it's a very early stage and they're suddenly announcing it to create attention and buzz around the project and not because it is imminent. 

Exactly. It could be another year before she even directs.  I don't see this as an issue regarding the release of her next album by the end of the year.  I believe she's still has a bit to go with the album, and it won't be released until the fall.  Not to say, she won't release a single or two before then.  Also, She's been talking about doing something different with touring, so it may or may not even prolong that. 

12 minutes ago, stefo said:

Well @brazilfan, the point is that she could sacrifice the dimention of her usual productions. Huge shows really take a lot of time and efforts in the making. She also already talked about the new path she wants to take with her future shows.

But it's too early for this, really too early. The main thing at the moment is that her work on the new album is much more than started and I don't think that this news gives us reason to be preoccupied it will be interrupted or shortened.

Anyway I'm sure she will very soon have to reassure a lot of her fans on Instagram

either way I'm so exciting! I mean some people are complain and worry about her new album's quality but I believe her! And as I said before this unexpected news make me more exciting! I was so sick of her predictable schedule to be honest. And then this no one unexpected news came out. lol

17 hours ago, brazilfan said:

Madonna is Great director.

W.E had such bad review because it compared with film The King's speech.

I mean maybe it's not OSCAR's the BEST picture kind of movie but it is not that bad movie neither.

I honestly think that people had misconception and prejudice about W.E because it has common same character with The King's speech. But two movie's are such a different type of movie.

W.E is not that bad film as Romance movie. I dare to say that W.E is one of the best romance flim in decade.

And I think that Madonna's The best directing skill is she make actor and actress very attractive she bring their hidden charm to screen. 

W.E introduce to Andrea Riseborough,  Oscar Isaac, Richard Coyle to me And they are so attractive in that film. so I research and watch their whole other films but you know what? I can't find their attraction which I find from W.E.

Madonna has superb talent which bring actor and actress's hidden charm to on the Screen.

I'm sorry. I would like to defend her but she is absolutely not a good director. She completely sucks in cinema.

WE and the other movie are disasters... I can't understand she'd always been huge fan of director such as Visconti, Fellini, Pasolini, Agnès Varda... Making video refering to masterpieces, Fritz Lang's Metropolis in Express yourself or Sayat Nova by Paradjanov in Bedtime story video (where shots are directly imitating shots of this amazing movie !) and then she does something like WE which is just... bad... 

Can't be good everywhere. So focus on what you are good in, where people come to see and hear you.

Cinema is possible for her just because she has a lot of money to produce the movie herself (as she did with 2 first ones)... Ridiculous. 

I'm sad she is stuck on cinema... It's a nightmare for almost everybody each time...

2 hours ago, blondebenji said:

This is pure speculation since nothing has been yet said when the film will go into production. If there is no script yet, then it could be months if not nearly a year before a director is needed. 

I still think she'll finish up the album within the next month or so and then start directing then if the film is ready to go yet.  The album can easily be released in the fall and she can begin promoting that while the film is being edited and in post production.

5 hours ago, shakeyerdix said:

I'm sorry. I would like to defend her but she is absolutely not a good director. She completely sucks in cinema.

WE and the other movie are disasters... I can't understand she'd always been huge fan of director such as Visconti, Fellini, Pasolini, Agnès Varda... Making video refering to masterpieces, Fritz Lang's Metropolis in Express yourself or Sayat Nova by Paradjanov in Bedtime story video (where shots are directly imitating shots of this amazing movie !) and then she does something like WE which is just... bad... 

Can't be good everywhere. So focus on what you are good in, where people come to see and hear you.

Cinema is possible for her just because she has a lot of money to produce the movie herself (as she did with 2 first ones)... Ridiculous. 

I'm sad she is stuck on cinema... It's a nightmare for almost everybody each time...

First of all, W.E. is beautifully done - the script left a lot to be desired but the movie was actually quite beautiful and Andrea Riseborough was great. Style over substance perhaps but I'd rather watch that again than Swept Away for example.

Secondly, saying that she's allowed to do it because of money is a bit of a mute point - OF COURSE, duh? She may have passion for cinema but her wealth and status allow to indulge it. So what? I'd love to be in the position when I can make things possible and follow whatever interests I may have just because I can. The difference with Madonna is that whatever she tries is immediately exposed to judgment and scrutiny.

Let her be and do what makes her happy, let her make mistakes. :)

28 minutes ago, kesiak said:

First of all, W.E. is beautifully done - the script left a lot to be desired but the movie was actually quite beautiful and Andrea Riseborough was great. Style over substance perhaps but I'd rather watch that again than Swept Away for example.

Secondly, saying that she's allowed to do it because of money is a bit of a mute point - OF COURSE, duh? She may have passion for cinema but her wealth and status allow to indulge it. So what? I'd love to be in the position when I can make things possible and follow whatever interests I may have just because I can. The difference with Madonna is that whatever she tries is immediately exposed to judgment and scrutiny.

Let her be and do what makes her happy, let her make mistakes. :)

Not only this, it's not like she's picking universally commercially accepted block busters.  She's choosing to direct films/stories that she has a connection with... stories that have  substance.  Obviously, it's more than just about the money. Besides, it's not like she's made a lot of money from the films she's directed.  But I would think more of her as a "sell out" if she cashed in to direct a film that is a sure fire hit which has little story or substance.

My personal opinion, she's choosing to direct more avant-garde films. If anything, she's shooting for an Oscar, rather commercial success.  But again, these films are dear to her heart... not just crappy stories that are manufactured hits.

This could be good and heartfelt considering her personal lived experience with dance. This to me seems logical and a good direction to explore cinematically (and even musically on the soundtrack). I have a good feeling about this one. Ballet might not be everyone's cup of tea -- but if she assembles a great cast of young actors/dancers it might be visually stunning.

58 minutes ago, Liam said:

This is pure speculation since nothing has been yet said when the film will go into production. If there is no script yet, then it could be months if not nearly a year before a director is needed. 

I still think she'll finish up the album within the next month or so and then start directing then if the film is ready to go yet.  The album can easily be released in the fall and she can begin promoting that while the film is being edited and in post production.

+1 

So no new music till late 2019 ?

We're already deep in March 2018 ! How could she release new music in less than 15 days ? It's not just recording songs in a studio, but making videos, cover and booklet photoshoot, planning promotion... I really hope she's not rush-recording new songs cos there's a new movie to direct !

Wasn't she supposed to tour this summer ? Did she hint that on social media a couple of months ago ?

49 minutes ago, OceanBlue said:

So no new music till late 2019 ?

We're already deep in March 2018 ! How could she release new music in less than 15 days ? It's not just recording songs in a studio, but making videos, cover and booklet photoshoot, planning promotion... I really hope she's not rush-recording new songs cos there's a new movie to direct !

Wasn't she supposed to tour this summer ? Did she hint that on social media a couple of months ago ?

No one said there won't be "new music till late 2019", nor did she ever "hint" on going on tour this summer.  There is no need to get all panicky and make wild assumptions about this all, including her "rushing an album".   No one truly knows how long she's been making the new album, and no one knows how far along she is on the new album.  You do know some of her most popular albums were recorded and produced around other projects she was doing?  Like A Prayer was merely put together within weeks time according to Pat Leonard. 

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Most directors spend years honing their craft on smaller projects, such as tv shows, commercials, music videos and short films. Madonna did a commercial and a short film then a feature.

I actually think if she dedicated herself to just making films, she would be good. No director is just amazing straight away. I really don't like her approach to it. As someone who is studying editing and directing and has done a couple short films, I just don't agree with her attitude.

I hope it goes well and the movie is amazing though.