Madonna to direct ballet drama "Taking Flight"

LivingForLove94

It's all over the Internet  :Madonna025:

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/madonna-directing-ballerina-movie-taking-flight-1202725212/

Madonna will direct the MGM drama “Taking Flight,” based on the life of ballerina Michaela De Prince.

The studio has been developing “Taking Flight” since 2015, when it first bought rights to Michaela and Elaine DePrince’s memoir, “Taking Flight: From War Orphan to Star Ballerina.” The book follows Michaela DePrince’s life from an orphan in war-torn Sierra Leone to a world-renowned ballerina.

“Michaela’s journey resonated with me deeply as both an artist and an activist who understands adversity,” Madonna said. “We have a unique opportunity to shed light on Sierra Leone and let Michaela be the voice for all the orphaned children she grew up beside. I am honored to bring her story to life.”

Madonna will direct from a screenplay by Camilla Blackett (“New Girl”). Alloy Entertainment’s Leslie Morgenstein and Elysa Koplovitz Dutton will produce alongside Ben Pugh and Guy Oseary. MGM Production president Jonathan Glickman and Tabitha Shick are overseeing the project on behalf of the studio.

“We were immediately awestruck by Michaela’s journey and know Madonna’s vision and passion for the material will deliver a film that inspires audiences everywhere,” Morgenstein said.

DePrince was adopted at the age of four and taken to the United States by Elaine and Charles DePrince. She was featured in the 2012 ballet documentary “First Position” and later debuted as a professional dancer at the age of 17 in the Joburg Ballet in South Africa. She appeared in Beyonce’s “Lemonade” in 2016 and is currently a soloist at the Dutch National Ballet.

Madonna made her feature directing debut on the 2008 British comedy “Filth and Wisdom.” She also helmed and co-wrote 2011’s “W.E.,” which chronicled the relationship between King Edward VIII and American divorcee Wallis Simpson. Her upcoming projects include co-writing and directing a film adaptation of Andrew Sean Greer’s novel “The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells.”

Madonna also produced and wrote “I Am Because We Are,” a documentary about Malawi’s million orphans in the wake of the AIDS pandemic. She is the highest-selling female recording artist of all time, with more than 300 million albums sold worldwide.

Glickman said, “We could not be more thrilled that Madonna will bring this remarkable story to the big screen. There is no director better suited to tell Michaela’s journey with passion and sensitivity, and we cannot wait to bring this film to audiences all around the world.”

MGM teamed with Alloy on the romantic drama “Everything, Everything,” based on Nicola Yoon’s best-selling novel. The studio also produced “Me Before You,” inspired by Jojo Moyes’ international best-seller, and “If I Stay,” based on Gayle Forman’s young adult best-seller.

MGM’s upcoming slate includes a pair of projects directed by women: Ry Russo-Young’s “The Sun Is Also a Star” and Rachel Lee Goldenberg’s “Valley Girl.” Its other films are “The Hustle,” a comedy starring Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson; “Fighting With My Family,” a comedy-drama with Florence Pugh, Vince Vaughn, and Dwayne Johnson; “Operation Finale,” toplined by Oscar Isaac and Ben Kingsley; and “Creed II,” starring Sylvester Stallone and Michael B. Jordan.

http://www.boyculture.com/boy_culture/2018/03/madonna-to-direct-ballerina-movie-taking-flight.html

It's been a while since Madonna made a move in the realm of film that felt exactly right — but that's what she's doing with the announcement that she will direct the ballerina drama Taking Flight ...

Though she has been preparing to shoot a film based on the novel The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells, it appears Madonna will first direct Taking Flight, based on the memoir of Michaela DePrince, who was born in Sierra Leone and went on to become a famed ballerina.

There are many elements of this work that would seem to resonate beautifully with Madonna — dance, adoption and fame chief among them.

Madonna's W.E. was half good (the historical part) half bad (the rest), and I think its weakness was not direction but the writing. Madonna will only direct Taking Flight, and I think that is encouraging. I think this could be her first critical success as a director. Fingers (and pointed toes) crossed.

Good for her if this all actually gets further than talking about it.  She's dying to direct again.  The story sounds boring as hell to me. But I'm glad she is able to find another avenue to share her creativeness. 

Madonna is Great director.

W.E had such bad review because it compared with film The King's speech.

I mean maybe it's not OSCAR's the BEST picture kind of movie but it is not that bad movie neither.

I honestly think that people had misconception and prejudice about W.E because it has common same character with The King's speech. But two movie's are such a different type of movie.

W.E is not that bad film as Romance movie. I dare to say that W.E is one of the best romance flim in decade.

And I think that Madonna's The best directing skill is she make actor and actress very attractive she bring their hidden charm to screen. 

W.E introduce to Andrea Riseborough,  Oscar Isaac, Richard Coyle to me And they are so attractive in that film. so I research and watch their whole other films but you know what? I can't find their attraction which I find from W.E.

Madonna has superb talent which bring actor and actress's hidden charm to on the Screen.

7 minutes ago, Enrico said:

The story is beautiful and I am going to read the book soon, but I hope she finishes the new album first. But this may also mean she won't go on tour :cry:

I think that her album is almost done I mean not almost but you know what I mean.

Now it make sense that those instagram recording photos.. She speed up her recording because of that film!!

Madonna's movie W.E on the theater December 9, 2011

Madonna's MDNA album was released March 23, 2012

So.. what's gonna happen at this time? I truly don't know at this point.

possibility no.1

She released her new album first (March 2018 something?) then has some promo and release new one or two singles then jump to her new movie without new tour? 

Possibility no.2

or She just gonna jump to movie first and then finish it then release new album just like MDNA?

Possibility no.3

She released her new album first at march, 2018 something then 2 weeks promo then start shooting (six month) then go to tour? (and during the film shooting we has 2 or 3 singles with mv. I mean she can make a music video before album release)

I google it and I found out that W.E shooting began on July 5, 2010 with Six month schedule.

oh by the way.. this unexpected chaos make me more exciting about new era!!. I know it sound strange but to be honest it is! LOL Because I kind of sick of her predictable album schedule.

Oh by the way I think that possibility no.3 has strong chance.

Some act like she's never done movies and recorded music at the same time.  It might not be as ideal when she was younger since she has a family, but I welcome it.  It's not like she isn't ever going to make music or tour again.  We know that is her first passion. 

I don't think she's a bad director as well.  But a lot of people aren't going to give her the time of day because they are used to her being a music icon.  All great directors had a rough start and even some bad films.  She seems to pick scripts that she loves and has great interest in. Her films really reflect that.  She's very detailed as a director.  Obviously, it's not the sort of thing much of her fan base would enjoy. 

32 minutes ago, brazilfan said:

Madonna's movie W.E on the theater December 9, 2011

Madonna's MDNA album was released March 23, 2012

So.. what's gonna happen at this time? I truly don't know at this point.

possibility no.1

She released her new album first (March 2018 something?) then has some promo and release new one or two singles then jump to her new movie without new tour? 

Possibility no.2

or She just gonna jump to movie first and then finish it then release new album just like MDNA?

Possibility no.3

She released her new album first at march, 2018 something then 2 weeks promo then start shooting (six month) then go to tour? (and during the film shooting we has 2 or 3 singles with mv. I mean she can make a music video before album release)

I google it and I found out that W.E shooting began on July 5, 2010 with Six month schedule.

oh by the way.. this unexpected chaos make me more exciting about new era!!. I know it sound strange but to be honest it is! LOL Because I kind of sick of her predictable album schedule.

Oh by the way I think that possibility no.3 has strong chance.

It seems to me that you are forgetting that she'd also have to promote the movie in music festivals, tv programmes and all that... And those things take time too.

She could easily direct the movie this late spring or in the summer.  Meanwhile, her album could be wrapped up by then, and set to be released after the directing in the fall! Some films only take three to four months to film.  If she's only hired on to direct, her job would be done. Most likely, she won't play the huge role she did in W.E.  Meanwhile, the film would be in post-production during the fall, and won't be released until 2019.  The film most likely will be released next year.  People have to remember, that films usually have a schedule date long ahead of the filming. Even if the film is released early next year, that wouldn't keep her from touring in 2019. 

Well, I think that directing a movie is not just a 6 months shooting commitment, it really isn't. The director has a main role in pre and postproduction phases too, from choosing locations and actors (as confronting with producers about the rest of the cast, like photographers, music composers or costumers) to following the editing process. It's a huge work, wich takes around 20 months.

For what I read, they still have to start the adaptation from the original book, so they are at the very beginning of the whole thing. She will be involved, that's for sure, she will have to attend many meetings and auditions, then we don't know anything about the schedule agreements they certainly already discussed.

My idea at the moment is that she has time to finish her recordings, maybe she couldn't go on a traditional world tour (with an announcement in march, the shooting could probably start next year). But we could have a different kind of promotion, who knows, 10, 15 concerts in small venues around the world, like an extended version in scheduling and shows length of what she did with Music and Confessions showcases for exemple.

And this is just the first idea I'm coming up with, I mean, she will surely find a way to not disappoint us. and make her movie :01:

1 minute ago, stefo said:

Well, I think that directing a movie is not just a 6 months shooting commitment, it really isn't. The director has a main role in pre and postproduction phases too, from choosing locations and actors (as confronting with producers about the rest of the cast, like photographers, music composers or costumers) to following the editing process. It's a huge process, wich takes around 20 months.

For what I read they still have to start the adaptation from the original book, so they are at the very beginning of the whole thing. She will be involved, that's for sure, she will have to attend many meetings and audition, then we don't know anything about the schedule agreements theyy certainly already discussed.

My idea at the moment is that she has time to finish her recordings, maybe she couldn't go on a traditional world tour (with an announcement in march, the shooting could start also next spring), but we could have a different kind of promotion, who knows, 10, 15 concerts in small venues around the world, like an extended version in scheduling and shows length of what she did with Music and Confessions showcases for exemple.

But this is just the first idea I'm coming up with, I mean, she will surely find a way to not disappoint us. and make her movie :01:

Not all directors take on all that responsibility for that long.  There are plenty of films where the director simply comes in to direct and he/she's done.  The proof is the many directors who have been known to release films one after another.  It all depends on who owns the rights to the film... the producers, etc.  It's quite possible, they want her to come in to simply direct the film and not do all the other things you mentioned. After all, that's what "casting directors" are for among other positions people would be hired for the film where they would select locations, designs, etc.  Again, it all depends on how much input. the executive producers want from Madonna.  This doesn't sound like it's a film where she's in total control of, compared to W.E. and her other directed films.