About Act of Contriction (Like a Prayer album)

Dashfox

I'm listening Like a Prayer album today and you know when finally comes that scary song....Act of Contriction!

Everytime I listen this song gives me chills! Awesome. 

So, I searched about it and I read a forum member (not here) explaining:

"she just got to heaven and she is not let in

hotel=heaven

she has a reservation, hence the computer part

thats how i see it"

Interesting huh? You guys agree with it?

d62l4qs.png

I never thought of it as "scary", but more bizarre.  Mostly for it's tone and how she screams at the end.  We all know she loves to mix religion with irony, and that she did.  I feel she is showing how hypocritical people can be by using God/religion to try to absolve themselves for all their misdeeds only to turn around moments later and be just as bad as before. 

I thought it was a creative way to use and take credit for a penitential prayer within a song. 

Yes, I like this interpretation, it could be right, some songs can have different meanings :)

Such an interesting and unique track in her catalog :hearteyes: it's not a coincidence LAP and AOC are the first and last track respectively, they both mix religion with something else, LAP with sex and AOC with irony, pointing out the circular structure of the album. 

8 hours ago, Enrico said:

Sorry guys but there is already an existing topic about this:

That's great and all, but it not everyone realizes a thread has been made.  Not everyone thinks a topic is always posted.

It's actually a very simple play on words.
She is changing the actual prayer, specifically "I firmly resolve" to "I reserve, I reserve. i have a reservation, i HAVE a reservation" (as in a Hotel or restaurant) That is why she screams 
"WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT IN THE COMPUTER!?!"

Nothing more, nothing less to it than that.