Fun Fact: Mid-Point of M's Career is now "Music" (2000)

BradleyPratt

Ray of Light strikes me as the midpoint, maybe not numerically and technically. Ray of Light was a massive shift from Bedtime Stories in terms of her studio albums go. Evita was like some strange bridge inbetween. I was see it as the Debut, Like A Virgin, True Blue, and Like A Prayer as the originals (all landing in the 80s, her most influential decade and home decade). Erotica and Bedtime Stories cover her sexual revolution (in a way). Ray of Light, Music, American Life, and Confessions are what I'd call her Millenial revolution. They are also a chronicle of her spiritual journey and her second marriage. Hard Candy, MDNA, and Rebel Heart and the beginning her of her blatant trendsetting declination and also a Madonna after a long term marriage. So Ray of Light naturally becomes a midpoint for me. She never sounds the same again, the low low voice virtually gone.

And I'm happy to have been part of the COMPLETE 36 year ride. No disappointments here. Someone with a career this long, you should expect high and lows.  Also, I'm not naive to think that she needs to continue to have commercial success to be successful.  She's refusing to be put out to pasture, and I'm thankful for that.  She's proving that the music still sounds great, no matter if society tries to dismiss her as a "has been".  She just keeps coming back. She's still in our faces. She's still doing what she wants to do.  I might start worrying if she starts putting out Standard cover albums.  I think she's going to continue to stay within the realm of what is current while at the same time, still explore new sounds, trying to make it sound fresh.  Being a pop star at 60 isn't an easy task since it's sadly geared toward the under 30 crowd.