Madonna inspires herself in Portuguese culture

MadgeSlave

Guest ArthurBadin

I've always been in love with this song, since 1994 when I discovered it as the opening theme for Brazilian telenovela adaptation of classic Portuguese Romantism book "As Pupilas do Senhor Reitor": later it was used on a Hollywood movie with Edward Norton (I don't recall the title).

Have later discovered an English version of it sung by Sarah Brightman (equally amazing), called "Harem":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCrWbOG8NRM

I have "Harem" DVD by her, it's worth each cent).

L-U-V if Madonna decides to go in that direction.

I think it's great she's getting inspired with her new found culture experience.  However, I hope people aren't setting themselves up for disappointment. I certainly can see Madonna being influenced with this culture, but I don't really expect a huge leap or a huge transition as she did with RAY OF LIGHT.  Also, I recall a lot fans not too keen when she used other cultural influences when re-inventing old songs in her live act (such as for Open Your Heart). That said, it'll be interesting to see where this new move will influence her music.  I'm sure we are still six months or a year before she heads back into the studio.  I hope that I'm wrong. But I know she's itching to direct her next movie. I suspect if that doesn't start rolling in the new year, she will start working on the new album. I don't expect a release until late next year or the following year.  Sales would be more on her side if she waits to release the end of the year, around the holidays.  It's just another year... UGH!! 

Honestly I'm scared of her next album but I was scared about Rebel Heart and in the end I was very pleased. So I'll just wait and see what happens.

I don't know much about Portuguese music but i hope she'll do something beautiful. Honestly if she really wants to go more acoustic, the music is going to have to be top notch. You can't hide a weak song under fancy production if you're going acoustic.  :eyes:  :scary:

That said, it'll be interesting to see where this new move will influence her music.  I'm sure we are still six months or a year before she heads back into the studio.  I hope that I'm wrong. But I know she's itching to direct her next movie. I suspect if that doesn't start rolling in the new year, she will start working on the new album. I don't expect a release until late next year or the following year.  Sales would be more on her side if she waits to release the end of the year, around the holidays.  It's just another year... UGH!! 

YUP YUP YUP.

Also, the 2nd half of next year would be more fitting cause she would have been 60 by then.

So like yeah, new decade in her life, new groundbreaking album. 

YUP YUP YUP.

Also, the 2nd half of next year would be more fitting cause she would have been 60 by then.

So like yeah, new decade in her life, new groundbreaking album. 

Yeah, I can see her shoving her age in people's faces, if not saying, 'so what! I'm sixty. Doesn't stop me from doing what I want to do!'.  Ha!  It would be cool if she and her team find a way to really get the music industry to really back her on this next album.  I don't expect the same type of buzz and attention from her most successful albums, but at least half the attention given to her, I could get ecstatic about.

Yeah, I can see her shoving her age in people's faces, if not saying, 'so what! I'm sixty. Doesn't stop me from doing what I want to do!'.  Ha!  It would be cool if she and her team find a way to really get the music industry to really back her on this next album.  I don't expect the same type of buzz and attention from her most successful albums, but at least half the attention given to her, I could get ecstatic about.

My sentiments exactly.

And imagine, a month before the album release -- let's say October 2018 -- she changes her color to GREY and JUST GREY? Grey hair but with an edgy look still (depends on the concept/sound of the album though).

That should show the critics and ageists huh? Wow.

Ironic M will forever win.

I think it's great she's getting inspired with her new found culture experience.  However, I hope people aren't setting themselves up for disappointment. I certainly can see Madonna being influenced with this culture, but I don't really expect a huge leap or a huge transition as she did with RAY OF LIGHT.  Also, I recall a lot fans not too keen when she used other cultural influences when re-inventing old songs in her live act (such as for Open Your Heart). That said, it'll be interesting to see where this new move will influence her music.  I'm sure we are still six months or a year before she heads back into the studio.  I hope that I'm wrong. But I know she's itching to direct her next movie. I suspect if that doesn't start rolling in the new year, she will start working on the new album. I don't expect a release until late next year or the following year.  Sales would be more on her side if she waits to release the end of the year, around the holidays.  It's just another year... UGH!!

Ooof. That version of OYH was an epic yawn for me...

I hope she does an album with real composers and not deejays, and with real musicians and real instruments as LAP.

I really like the ethnic version of OYH and some other reinventions, but I don't see her doing a jazz/ethno album because what she does best is pop with a lot of production. For instance she has been inspired by India with ROL, but it was just an inspiration.

But if she goes on and writes more complex songs I am totally with her! (Although I am anyway)

Guest ArthurBadin

I hope she does an album with real composers and not deejays, and with real musicians and real instruments as LAP.

I really like the ethnic version of OYH and some other reinventions, but I don't see her doing a jazz/ethno album because what she does best is pop with a lot of production. For instance she has been inspired by India with ROL, but it was just an inspiration.

But if she goes on and writes more complex songs I am totally with her! (Although I am anyway)

The question is since HC she has been producing with the flavor of the moment. Pharrell, Timbaland, Solveig, Benassi, Diplo, Avicii...

Miss the times when she brought underground scene to mainstream. Truth is, as someone said on Like an Icon about Everybody was her only one label recording with the purity of a newbie, once people drown on the mainstream, their work starts to be watered down.

Compare Orbit's work on the 1990's and then in 2011-2013. Even Mirwais dance-y versions of It's So Cool that were nixed in favour of the Oakenfold one were subpar, to say the minimal, a totally amateurish thing. No wonder why we only know them due to the Leakgate version 2010 (or 2011, i'm not sure).

I think both Madonna and GP need desperatley for a new sound coming from a distant, not famous place (famous to the GP). So that's why I need her doing her thing with Portuguese musicians. No needing for any fado rendition, or something like that. Portuguese music is not only fado. We just need organic music in those times when pop music is turning into country to try save itself from the Despacito reggaeton wave. We are back in 1997-1998 times, when the wave was My Heart Will Go On, Mariah's cover of I Still Believe etc. We need new music, for sure!