The biggest collaboration that never came to fruition!

One of the greatest things about being a Madonna fan is how we can reflect back at the past years (nearly 35 of them) and re-live them, especially when she's in between projects and nothing much is going on.  Not only that, it may help younger fans understand the impact she had even before they knew of her or became a fan. One moment in Madonna history which could have been one of the biggest collaborations in music history is Micheal and Madonna:

madonnamj1.png

For those fans that might not know, but these two almost made music together.  At the time, this was huge!! Madonna was to perform at the Oscars and asked Michael to go with her.  Michael was working on his "Dangerous" album and Madonna was soon to embark on releasing her Truth or Dare film which chronicled her Blond Ambition Tour.

The song they notably was to duet on was "In the Closet".  But of course, Madonna was intrigued to work on a song that could be quite controversial.  She was hoping Jackson was willing to use it to tackle "homosexuality".  However, it turned out Michael just wanted a title that sounded controversial, but not discuss such themes. In fact, some had wondered if the song could have been possibly a "coming out" of himself.  As history revealed, that just didn't happen. Madonna and Micheal parted ways, and Jackson walked away with negative feelings towards Madonna. He seemed to be put off by her overtly sexual approach and persona. 

Could you just imagine how huge this all could have been, if the two actually produced a duet together, whatever the topic or theme was?  It definitely would have been a massive hit.  As far as I can recall, people wanted it to happen. But at the same time, I'm glad the two just didn't produce any song just to please the public. I'm glad the two parted ways rather forced each other to work together if the magic wasn't there.  It only proves how the two are very devoted to their work. 

They were definitely penned as the "Oddest Couple":

Odd-Couple-madonna-and-michael-jackson-2

So yeah, they went out on a date.  The word is Madonna tried to loosen Jackson up. Madonna wanted Jackson to cut his hair.  He just wasn't receptive to her or her ideas.  Not that I'm surprised because I see Michael very child-like and Madonna being quite domineering. 

So what are your thoughts of this possibility that never happened? 

a9da3eb7258003c068ff4f3ccbfaae39--madonn

This was legendary. All Madonna fans should know of this iconic and strange occurrence in history — the King and Queen of Pop out in public looking gorgeous which later created speculation regarding a possible collaboration. In a parallel universe, perhaps — and in that universe that collaboration ended up being the amazing “Scream†and instead of Janet, it was Madonna sharing Michael’s laments on being pressured and taken down by the media and public; the perfect theme and concept for a collaboration. Sadly, it what could have been and a fantasy of mine lol.

Despite Michael harboring negative feelings and comments (“she’s nasty, she’s a witchâ€) Madonna has openly and publicly DEFENDED him during all the witch hunt for him in the early 2000s. That touching tribute on the S&S tour and that REGAL eulogy during the 2009 MTV VMAs couldn’t have been bette and done by anyone more deserving. I’m a huge fan of MJ as well and he makes a great counterpart to Madonna!

I’m glad Madonna has always had his back until the end. Long live the 2 most legendary pop icons in history

LOL!  Guys, it's just a Halloween costume.  Why not just concentrate on the positive as the two are actually throwing homage towards the two biggest pop stars in history.  :)

This was legendary. All Madonna fans should know of this iconic and strange occurrence in history — the King and Queen of Pop out in public looking gorgeous which later created speculation regarding a possible collaboration. In a parallel universe, perhaps — and in that universe that collaboration ended up being the amazing “Scream†and instead of Janet, it was Madonna sharing Michael’s laments on being pressured and taken down by the media and public; the perfect theme and concept for a collaboration. Sadly, it what could have been and a fantasy of mine lol.

Despite Michael harboring negative feelings and comments (“she’s nasty, she’s a witchâ€) Madonna has openly and publicly DEFENDED him during all the witch hunt for him in the early 2000s. That touching tribute on the S&S tour and that REGAL eulogy during the 2009 MTV VMAs couldn’t have been bette and done by anyone more deserving. I’m a huge fan of MJ as well and he makes a great counterpart to Madonna!

I’m glad Madonna has always had his back until the end. Long live the 2 most legendary pop icons in history

Shows Madonna is able to let go of the past and rise above it.  I'm sure that she believes there is a slight amount of truth in his thoughts about her back then.  She is a much different person than he used to know of her.  Then again, Michael has always been very sensitive and child like with his thoughts.

I never thought about "Scream" could have been there perfect duet.  Though, it is fitting to Janet and Michael as well.  I always thought Madonna and Michael were better off doing a love song together. Something much more innocent and light hearted without bringing a lot of baggage to the song. It also could have been revered as a great and respectful pop song between the two.

Knew it was gonna be Michael Jackson  :angel:

What do you mean?  Do you mean the topic?  Though, it's just not about Michael Jackson, it's about how Madonna and Michael both almost recorded an infamous hit song.  Do you have anything to add?   ;)

Mhm. Michael seems to be a little more conservative (or suppressed) in terms of when Madonna wanted to turn “In The Closet†into talking its obvious connotation, homosexuality. Madonna was the complete opposite — liberation and a gay icon. So we could see why MJ was hesitant to risk whatever would come out of collabing with her.

Madonna has been gracious and respectful towards him regardless and I admire that.

What do you mean?  Do you mean the topic?  Though, it's just not about Michael Jackson, it's about how Madonna and Michael both almost recorded an infamous hit song.  Do you have anything to add?   ;)

Noo, I mean when I read the title 'The biggest collaboration that never came to fruition' I knew it was gonna be about M + MJ ! Nothing wrong with your topic  :angel:

Guest ArthurBadin

I would say Madonna and Dalida (who was much more important to Madonna's career than MJ), but the latter died too much soon. But I do believe if she lasted a few years more, this could have happened.

I think it would have worked but then again, Michael had other views compared to Madonna and I'm sure it must have been insane with two huge juggernauts conflicting over the song. It didn't help that Janet proceeded to trash her for comments Madonna made allegedly. She's always shown more respect towards Michael than he did to her following their time together.

Yes, he had a stunted childhood due to the abuse and conditions he was placed under but I also view him as a very strong, courageous person at how he stood up against Sony and called out the powers that be for all the crap they threw at him. I think him and Madonna could have worked magic but I mean, Madonna in '91 probably was very intimidating to him and probably very head-strong. I'm not shocked he didn't follow her suggestion though it would have lived up to its title.

Shame people don't dispute that he's the King of Pop but Madonna is always dismissed by the public.  :eyesroll:

I'm glad that this did not happen because I personally never really liked MJ.

AND because I'm not sure if it would have been a huge hit

Look at the collaborations with megastars Prince & Britney... both mediocre and forgettable at best! :thinker:

To be fair, Prince and Madonna didn't release that song they dueted as a single. If they did, I'm sure it would have been a pretty sizeable hit.  The same goes for whatever she and Jackson would do.

As for Britney, it wasn't a complete bust, but at that time, Madonna was hardly at the height of her career and Britney was getting a lot of criticism.  And quite honestly, the song wasn't that great.  Though, it's not the same because I do think whatever Jackson and Madonna did it defintely would be a sizeable hit. Maybe not #1, but it definitely would have been top ten. At the time, Both were at the height of their career. Pretty much every song Jackson released off of Dangerous was a big hit.

To be fair, Prince and Madonna didn't release that song they dueted as a single. If they did, I'm sure it would have been a pretty sizeable hit. The same goes for whatever she and Jackson would do.

As for Britney, it wasn't a complete bust, but at that time, Madonna was hardly at the height of her career and Britney was getting a lot of criticism. And quite honestly, the song wasn't that great. Though, it's not the same because I do think whatever Jackson and Madonna did it defintely would be a sizeable hit. Maybe not #1, but it definitely would have been top ten. At the time, Both were at the height of their career. Pretty much every song Jackson released off of Dangerous was a big hit.

4 of the 7 songs hit the top 10 in the US and only ONE went to #1. So 3 singles underperfomed big time off of Dangerous. And Michael peaked during the Thriller era of 82-84. Madonna peaked from 89-91

4 of the 7 songs hit the top 10 in the US and only ONE went to #1. So 3 singles underperfomed big time off of Dangerous. And Michael peaked during the Thriller era of 82-84. Madonna peaked from 89-91

Since both are world-wide artists, it's safe to compare them in that aspect.  Jackson released a total of 9 singles from Dangerous. ALL of them went top 40.  Seven of them were top 5  in a number of regions throughout the world.  It's pretty safe to say "underperformed" is quite an exaggeration when no one in that time period between '91-'93 were releasing that many singles from an album, going top 40 and at least selling Gold status. Jackson was still doing quite well, as 6 of those singles at least went GOLD and/or plantinum.  We can say Jackson peaked between '82-84 because Thriller became the biggest selling album in history.  But even without THRILLER, all of his following albums outsold Madonna released during the same time period.  Saying he "underperformed" is just a big joke since we only can say such when his previous singles and albums were selling millions and millions of more than he follow ups which still sold millions.  In short, even Madonna's peak didn't outperform Jackson when he was still selling over 20 million copies of more of his albums.

To me it is a rock n roll album produced by Joe Henry. Or the rumored Trent Reznor/Nine Inch Nails collaboration years ago. I also thought she had recorded with Talvin Singh besides Cyberrega and NRM remix but I guess not. The rumor that Madonna was meant to be the female vocal on MJ's In The Closet, I would have loved to hear her on that song, something sexy.

In some parallel universe I wish this happened, but honestly In the Closet and Scream are not even Michael's best efforts. The first one is a tuneless track except for the chorus and the other is a complete noisy mess. In relation to their personalities, they were like salt and sugar anyway. Michael was too 'safe' and innocent and Madonna, well, has always been Madonna. 

I would have preferred a duet between Madonna and:

George Michael

Bruce Springsteen

Billy Idol

David Bowie

They were men that could have been used by Madonna for sexual and commercial purposes which would have expressed great on video  :whipping:

nintchdbpict000363294756.jpg?strip=all&w

I guess it’s good publicity wise because her followers can also get to know where these looks came from. But still... could’ve been other celebs

Mhm. Michael seems to be a little more conservative (or suppressed) in terms of when Madonna wanted to turn “In The Closet†into talking its obvious connotation, homosexuality. Madonna was the complete opposite — liberation and a gay icon. So we could see why MJ was hesitant to risk whatever would come out of collabing with her.

Madonna has been gracious and respectful towards him regardless and I admire that.

:clapp: :clapp: :clapp: :clapp: :clapp: