Madonna booked as a guest judge at RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 10?

Brendanlovesu1

I'm 40. The gay people of my generation hated the idea of a celebrity pandering to the community for commercial gain. Madonna always held a uniquely authentic connection to gay culture. Some accused her of cultural appropriation and pillaging, but her compassionate involvement in raising AIDS awareness and fighting for equality through visibility pretty much canceled those people out as "old skool haters". 

It seems like in Today's culture Madonna now has to do whatever a Gaga is doing in terms of contemporary LGBTQI-pandering in order to avoid being seen as a has-been or a lesser queer diva. It's simply a question of the quickening passage of time and the modernist obsession with the ever-shifting Now, and while many of us don't like to admit that we are getting older and that younger gay men honestly don't have much of a universal respect for or fundamental interest in Madonna, it often seems that way to me. It's understandable. She is almost 60, and she hasn't really connected directly with gay culture in a long time. Ironically, this is also probably why she doesn't connect with mainstream culture either. Madonna has become a punching bag of cynicism in the last five years, and she knows it. Therefore, doing Drag Race is essentially a hugely logical step for her if being revered by gay men is still something she cares about symbolically, commercially and personally...However, if she wants to pull it off she'd better seriously fiercen up. Vampire makeup, yellow hair, floral prints and thick midsection-enhancing summer dress designs would be a disappointment and a PR fiasco in my very humble opinion. 

I think people are reading too much into RuPaul's response - he's clever and knows that speculations only fuel interest in the show, confirming/denying rumours would spoil it. I LOVE Drag Race and would love to see Madonna on the show but I think it's far more likely it's someone like Cher that is going to feature in it (Chaz Bono was a guest a few seasons back).

I'm 40. The gay people of my generation hated the idea of a celebrity pandering to the community for commercial gain. Madonna always held a uniquely authentic connection to gay culture. Some accused her of cultural appropriation and pillaging, but her compassionate involvement in raising AIDS awareness and fighting for equality through visibility pretty much canceled those people out as "old skool haters".

It seems like in Today's culture Madonna now has to do whatever a Gaga is doing in terms of contemporary LGBTQI-pandering in order to avoid being seen as a has-been or a lesser queer diva. It's simply a question of the quickening passage of time and the modernist obsession with the ever-shifting Now, and while many of us don't like to admit that we are getting older and that younger gay men honestly don't have much of a universal respect for or fundamental interest in Madonna, it often seems that way to me. It's understandable. She is almost 60, and she hasn't really connected directly with gay culture in a long time. Ironically, this is also probably why she doesn't connect with mainstream culture either. Madonna has become a punching bag of cynicism in the last five years, and she knows it. Therefore, doing Drag Race is essentially a hugely logical step for her if being revered by gay men is still something she cares about symbolically, commercially and personally...However, if she wants to pull it off she'd better seriously fiercen up. Vampire makeup, yellow hair, floral prints and thick midsection-enhancing summer dress designs would be a disappointment and a PR fiasco in my very humble opinion.

And Gaga hasn't connected to gay or mainstream culture since 2011... At least Madonna DOMINATED mainstream culture from at least 25 years, 1984-2009

Back to Madonna, if she WANTS to do it, she'll do it, fans sometimes read way too much into things...