Cyndi Lauper's catalogue has more views on YT than Madonna's. This isn't right..

Dany Targaryen

First of all, hey everybody! I'm new here.

Sorry that my first post here is a rant but this is bothering me. I know Cyndi Lauper had some huge hits in the past but it looks like her classics are surpassing Madonna's in today's age. As a Madonna fan I feel that's unacceptable.

Girls Just Wanna Have fun has more than 440 million views, Time After Time has surpassed 200 million views.

What is our Queen waiting for?

Madonna, do something!!

Why do these things matter to fans? Do figures validate your fandom im some way? Is it not possible to like someone's music and leave it at that? It's something I don't really understand. Surely there's more to life...

My thoughts exactly.  Cyndi had a few years there that she was just as big as Madonna.  But the fact is; she's remained active like Madonna.  She's seen resurgences throughout her career from time to time.  Unfortunately, Madonna's videos online hasn't stayed in one place.  And while Madonna and her team could be more active in this, a lot of the blame for her videos not showing as many views is because years back Warner removed all her videos when they were trying to strike a deal with Youtube. She wasn't the only artist who lost in this transition. But I agree!  The lack of youtube presence does not take away from her legacy and popularity.  It also makes her more sought out, rather easily accessible which she never has been. 

Still, most of her popular and known videos are available on-line.  Yes, it could be more organized, but I do think a lot of this is more of worrisome for fans who pretty much own everything she has, then those who don't.   It "Ain't No Big Deal" in the grand scheme of things.  Madonna's legacy is strong and intact. 

First of all, hey everybody! I'm new here.

Sorry that my first post here is a rant but this is bothering me. I know Cyndi Lauper had some huge hits in the past but it looks like her classics are surpassing Madonna's in today's age. As a Madonna fan I feel that's unacceptable.

Girls Just Wanna Have fun has more than 440 million views, Time After Time has surpassed 200 million views.

What is our Queen waiting for?

Madonna, do something!!

As a whole, Madonna's catalogue has WAY MORE views than Cyndi's

Cyndi is primarily remembered for 3 big hits, 2 which she didnt write

So this thread title is misleading

My thoughts exactly. Cyndi had a few years there that she was just as big as Madonna. But the fact is; she's remained active like Madonna. She's seen resurgences throughout her career from time to time. Unfortunately, Madonna's videos online hasn't stayed in one place. And while Madonna and her team could be more active in this, a lot of the blame for her videos not showing as many views is because years back Warner removed all her videos when they were trying to strike a deal with Youtube. She wasn't the only artist who lost in this transition. But I agree! The lack of youtube presence does not take away from her legacy and popularity. It also makes her more sought out, rather easily accessible which she never has been.

Still, most of her popular and known videos are available on-line. Yes, it could be more organized, but I do think a lot of this is more of worrisome for fans who pretty much own everything she has, then those who don't. It "Ain't No Big Deal" in the grand scheme of things. Madonna's legacy is strong and intact. [

Aside from 1983-1984, Cyndi was never as big as Madonna. She fell hard QUICKLY

By 1989 Lauper was already in has been ville and Madonna was entering her peak period of 1989-1992.

Madonna is the #1 selling female act of the 80s and #2 overall behind MJ. Cyndi isnt even. The #2 biggest selling woman that decade she was #4 or #5. Paula Abdul had more hits and sold more albums than Cyndi

There are a lot of reasons not that it actually matters

- Warner's problems with Youtube caused a lot of her videos not to be available anywhere or to be region blocked in a lot of places for years and years. Some were re-uploaded therefore losing views, or ugly ass fan uploads took views away. 

- Some are available in awful quality. Celebration's pixelated corpse over at her official Youtube channel with 40 million views in 240p quality.  :eyesroll: This was uploaded a few months before full HD videos became the norm. Are Madonna's team allergic to technology?

- Warner has failed to update her videography with better quality since the 90s which would make people more interested. Except maybe those new uploads recently which should've come like 10 years ago. :eyesroll: and finally we can see the I Want You video in decent DVD quality, groundbreaking.

- She's not anywhere near as much of a nostalgia act as other artists from the 80s or 90s, so people aren't going to be seeking her old videos for the nostalgia factor as much. And thankfully she's still with us so there's also that, and continues to be too controversial for a lot of people to accept her music is god's gift to the world.

^also many of her videos are blocked in a lot of countries as well thanks to Warner

With that said on OFFICIAL platforms, VEVO, her account and Warner Brothers, Madonna has between 1.2-1.5 BILLION views combined. MUCH higher than Cyndi, despite having over 400 views of GJWTHF (that ONE song makes up more than half of her 800 million official views!), Cher (whose videos had the SAME ISSUES Madonna's had as their both Warner's artists, and Janet Jackson among others.

I'm not saying this to get yelled at here, but within 24-48hrs of M's Vevo channel updating/reposting her older videos in better quality, they were ripped from the site and available for download.

Does having a good quality rip of a streaming video in a library on iTunes or a hard drive contribute to more streaming views?

That said, I have a YouTube Red paid account, which offers a few more viewing options, but it still doesn't get past WMG being completely antiquated in their thinking when it comes to streaming.

She should put at least a couple of her more classic videos on VEVO. It's totally doable in my mind.

I mean Daft Punk's songs have way more views than Madonna's. One more Time has over 130 million views. Like a Prayer, the best Pop song ever written has just over 38 million views.

To me Vogue and Like a Virgin should have at least 300 million views each.

I'm not putting much relevance over the overall view count of all videos together because I believe the total number of people viewing is more important.

Thank you everybody for the replies XO

Again, I EXPLAINED the reasons for this and its not just Madonna, its EVERY Warner Brothers artist who've experienced this. Warners really screwed up and for years REFUSED to sign with VEVO.

I'm actually surprised Madonna's Warner bavk catalogue has as many views as it does, all things considered.