Thoughts on Like A prayer song

oliviergregoire

The more I think about it, The more I'm sure it's Prince who wrote the song.

If you look at the structure, almost all Leonard songs are the same but not LAP. And he played guitars both at the begining and at the end (for the single). Plus Act Of Contriction produced (create by him).

What do you think about it?

Firstly, there is nothing about all of Pat's songs that is "the same." He's a very versatile songwriter.

Secondly, he is still taking credit for this song in a very recent interview and on Instagram as well as giving Madonna credit for her contribution. I think if Prince really did write it we would know by now.

Prince DID play guitar on the 7" version. They also used his guitar in the intro. That's his only connection to it.

Prince's only contributions to that song were the guitar riffs, which were recorded separately to the some and sent to Madonna. They were then used for Act of Contrition and some of the remixes. As far as I have heard, there was never any actual studio time with Madonna and Prince... even for Love Song. Their parts were recorded separately

The more I think about it, The more I'm sure it's Prince who wrote the song.

If you look at the structure, almost all Leonard songs are the same but not LAP. And he played guitars both at the begining and at the end (for the single). Plus Act Of Contriction produced (create by him).

What do you think about it?

I'm sorry but this makes absolutely no sense  :) .

Prince wrote the song?  Ummm, no! :stare:  What a ridiculous insinuation. If he had any other part than adding the guitars to the song, it would have been highly publicized.  Besides, why just mention he added guitars and not wrote it?  Also, Prince is very tight with the songs he's written.  He wouldn't have let "Like A Prayer" go without any credit.  Ask yourself this, why take credit on a less obscure track "Love Song", yet not take credit for the huge lead single?  Her, Prince and her record company would have milked that one if he had any writing credit to it.

Can't immediately think of a Prince song with a similar structure (his songwriting was miles away from Madonna's conventional verse-chorus style) but I'm pretty sure he did more for the album that we know of.

The music Express Yourself was likely to be inspired by his style at the time, the Local Mix has some similar bits to Alphabet St. I think,

Can't immediately think of a Prince song with a similar structure (his songwriting was miles away from Madonna's conventional verse-chorus style) but I'm pretty sure he did more for the album that we know of.

The music Express Yourself was likely to be inspired by his style at the time, the Local Mix has some similar bits to Alphabet St. I think,

Let's not re-write history and facts.  Prince involvement was simply on the Duet, "Love Song" and guitar for "Like a Prayer" and "Act of Contrition".  The two didn't even meet in a studio. Only communicated through mail/phone regarding their collaboration.  "Express Yourself" was inspired by Sly and the Family Stone. 

He played guitar on Keep It Together as well that we know of.

http://princevault.com/index.php?title=Keep_It_Together

Which song is also a Sly and the Family Stone homage, one of Prince's main influences...

Not to mention that being an influence has nothing to do with meeting in a studio.

You're right, I totally forgot about "Keep It Together".   Anyway, regarding the OP claim that Prince wrote LAP... is ridiculous. 

M and Pat came up with LAP, a song that was originally meant to be very minimalist with vocals, choir and piano arrangement. The rest came later and this is documented in Giy Pratt's autobiography, Pat's own interviews as well as M's.

What next? Ricky Martin wrote Ray of Light? Britney wrote most of American Life? 😀