Warner uploaded new Madonna videos to YouTube channel

MadgeSlave

So, Warner, the former Madonna label, uploaded new videos in good quality to their YouTube channel. 

These have better quality than the previously available (they look like remastered ones!)

DRESS YOU UP (MUSIC VIDEO)

MATERIAL GIRL

I WANT YOU

:02:

Maybe someday we'll get the whole videography... Who knows??

About the "Dress you up" video... Isn't this one the "Virgin Tour" VHS one? I mean, I thought that the video was with the wannabes intro and with different camera angles... Well, better this than nothing but I can't understand why they don't put some effort in doing the things right.

I remember when they had her videos on madonna.com and they used the "The girlie show - album version montage" instead of the live performance of the song that was used on 1993 and things like that. The "Hanky panky" video was the Paris shot for a while til they change it for the official video one. I guess we know better than them which videos she did.

That's exactly what I wanted to ask. I'm guessing that was the original introduction The Virgin Tour VHS before it was given the Madonna intro speaking about her dream coming true? It definitely captures the feel of Madonna wannabe mania before Dress You Up starts.

Thankfully, they're in better quality than the horrid Celebration mess. Especially I Want You. Such an amazing track/video.

I have to disagree regarding the quality.  These are simply SD quality videos as if they were played on MTV back in the day.  Maybe the videos couldn't be upgraded to HD due to how the videos were filmed. Though, I am no expert on that subject. I honestly don't see much difference in quality of these compared to the quality on CELEBRATION DVD.

As for "Dress You Up", the video serviced to MTV and other video channels did have the "wannabe" intro, but that intro wasn't always aired. Sometimes, it would go right into the song like the video above.  The intro to the Virgin Tour VHA has nothing to do with the "wannabe" intro to "Dress You Up" (video). The video was released as a single and video cut well after the tour wrapped up. On tour, the opening consisted of Madonna saying. "Don't be afraid" and "It's gonna be all right" mixed with her singing the line "Dress You Up in My loooooove".  The intro to the actual video was stock footage added and as mentioned, wasn't always played every time the video aired on MTV, etc.

I have to disagree regarding the quality.  These are simply SD quality videos as if they were played on MTV back in the day.  Maybe the videos couldn't be upgraded to HD due to how the videos were filmed. Though, I am no expert on that subject. I honestly don't see much difference in quality of these compared to the quality on CELEBRATION DVD.

As for "Dress You Up", the video serviced to MTV and other video channels did have the "wannabe" intro, but that intro wasn't always aired. Sometimes, it would go right into the song like the video above.  The intro to the Virgin Tour VHA has nothing to do with the "wannabe" intro to "Dress You Up" (video). The video was released as a single and video cut well after the tour wrapped up. On tour, the opening consisted of Madonna saying. "Don't be afraid" and "It's gonna be all right" mixed with her singing the line "Dress You Up in My loooooove".  The intro to the actual video was stock footage added and as mentioned, wasn't always played every time the video aired on MTV, etc.

All her videos would have been shot on film so they definitely can be upgraded to bluray, but who knows in what condition those negatives are, rotting away somewhere. 

The difference between I Want You (the version they uploaded vs. the Celebration DVD) is very obvious.

The difference between I Want You (the version they uploaded vs. the Celebration DVD) is very obvious.

Yes, the color filter and wide screen is very obvious.  LOL!  It's funny because I watched it at 1080p and other than the color filter and widescreen, the quality looks exactly the same.

All her videos would have been shot on film so they definitely can be upgraded to bluray, but who knows in what condition those negatives are, rotting away somewhere. 

Don't say that. DX

Perhaps Madonna kept it well or Warner did but they're too pre-occupied. </3

That widescreened version of i Want You is a crime but it's fanmade. But you're right that it seems to be a much better master.

Unfortunately we may never see her videos from the original film. 

There were two videos sent to video channels.

The one with the "wannabe" intro was the first one they sent out, and then when the Virgin Tour Home video came out they replaced the wannabe intro one with the performance straight from the home video.  The editing is different and many camera angles are different in the two videos. I personally never saw the one with the wannabe intro on television.

There were two videos sent to video channels.

The one with the "wannabe" intro was the first one they sent out, and then when the Virgin Tour Home video came out they replaced the wannabe intro one with the performance straight from the home video.  The editing is different and many camera angles are different in the two videos. I personally never saw the one with the wannabe intro on television.

Yeah, I had thought the two were aired.  I can't recall which of the two I saw the most, but I've seen the version with the "Wannabe" many times on TV. 

Yes, I know both versions (with and without the intro) were aired on TV. But, what I mean is that they uploaded the "Home video" edit of the song, not the video edition. 

Here you can see what I mean... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDjh6HKarUs

They should have uploaded the version on the right and what we got was just "The virgin tour" home video edition, not the original video edition. I guess it's easy for them to do this or maybe they don't know that it has different editions, who knows???

Yes, I know both versions (with and without the intro) were aired on TV. But, what I mean is that they uploaded the "Home video" edit of the song, not the video edition. 

Here you can see what I mean... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDjh6HKarUs

They should have uploaded the version on the right and what we got was just "The virgin tour" home video edition, not the original video edition. I guess it's easy for them to do this or maybe they don't know that it has different editions, who knows???

Honestly, what does it matter?  Both videos share the same song and pretty much share the same experience of the performance.  Who are we to say what they "should" upload?  It's not like they are misleading anyone by uploading one or the other version.  Both versions represent the tour and song.  Job done!

At the risk of digression, WB probably felt the same way most of the press outlets, social commentators, and the music industry felt at the time: "Madonna is a fad. She'll be gone in 6 months.", or the still printed and uttered "Has Madonna gone too far?" rhetoric that WE all know is code for "Why won't she retire and go away already?"

I doubt WB had the foresight to keep the film masters for these videos once they were copied and sent to MTV and other various video programs around the world, simply because MTV was smaller than radio airplay, and videos were made to promote chart positions to gain radio airplay. I'd say it's a miracle we still have all of the promo vinyls, promo VHS cassettes, posters, etc that music store employees and DJs had the foresight to see their value for the collector market later on, or were big enough fans of her music themselves that they didn't want to part with such exclusive memorabilia.

The 80's videos would most likely have been upgraded already if they had the material readily available. The WB archives are so vast and has switched ownership so many times since the 90's that for all we know Time magazine has all video archived after the Time-Warner merger. Had the industry realized earlier what streaming and video on-demand would do to chart positions, they would probably NOT be pulling videos from YouTube, muting audio from other user's accounts, and claiming copyrights so haphazardly now.

So, to bring a long point home, I'm afraid this will be the best we'll get until or if the originals are ever located.

Sometimes I think that same thing you're talking about rebelheartbreak but, on the other hand, you see people sharing things in much better quality than the one we get from Warner. 

For example, in this forum we could download those HDX videos and, at least for me, look so much better than the ones released on "Celebration". How can people have those files and not Warner? "Celebration" (album and DVD) were supposed to be transfers from the original tapes and the quality is just horrible. So, do they lost the original tapes or just don't want to look for them?

I know some say that the HDX videos shared were not really HD and things like that but the real thing is that they look much, much better than the files they released or the ones they are uploading.

Honestly if they destroyed everything after how expensive most of them were, and how culturally significant they were (even if her popularity hadn't lasted) then they're the biggest idiots in the world. I really doubt it though.

I think the process might be too costly/time consuming and they don't think they would make it back so easily without significant investment, especially now that Madonna isn't with them and might not agree to a big release like that.

They sure as hell aren't going to release them for free on Youtube if it's a big investment. It's gonna have to be as big of a deal as possible, like if she decided to make a career retrospective of some sort and promoted it like a big project.

Or something happened and somehow lost them or they were destroyed in some way by accident, but there's no reason to assume that at this point. Releases like this just don't exist for any artist yet, if I'm not wrong it's only been done for The Beatles, and they're a pretty big deal, their back catalogue is always getting refreshed, remastered and re-released since there's always demand. Other big artists/bands haven't done it.

It's also possible that directors may have copies and may want to release better masters on retrospectives of their own, some already released DVD retrospectives so you never know.