Madonnas 59th ~~***~~HAPPY BIRTHDAY MADONNA~~***~~

Madonna turns 59 this year.  Let us all gather together and wish her a "Happy Birthday" and share some of our favorite moments from her, whether it be a song, video or just some fond (personal) memory of her.  Also, feel free to share how you usually celebrate her birthday.

I can't believe she's turning 59 this year. I started paying attention to her work when she was only 42 in 2000, time flies! People used to call her old at that time because of younger acts such as Britney and Christina trying to have an impact in the industry, imagine that... It's not a surprise she outdid them both in the end. 

It's been a journey of epic proportions since she first started in 1982 and more successfully a year later. Sure, I wasn't here when she was rolling around in the wedding dress in front of thousands of shocked people. Always criticised for being herself and not just a commercial caricature. It only meant one thing: She had come to stay

In the year 1990 she was definitely on top of everything and everyone: the single Vogue, the Blond Ambition World Tour, the only true Queen at the MTV Video Music Awards, The Immaculate SACRED collection and, of course, Justify My Love! I was born later that year... who would have known I'd become a fan of the real deal when I was only 10? She's the only woman in the pop scene with bigger balls than hundreds of men. 

Rihannas, Gagas, Beyoncés, and Kylies have come and gone repeatedly over the years. And I don't blame them for getting all the attention they deserve and the media kissing their asses at the same time undervaluing Madonna's efforts to stay relevant. Time has proven them all wrong! Madonna's been better since the year 0. Needless to say, all her contemporary competitors (all over 50) are dead but she's still alive and kicking. 

Madonna's not perfect, she's a human being after all. A human being that will be remembered decade after decade when she dies. A true rebel who, despite highs and lows, has made such a big impact on culture and delivered a message of tolerance, compassion, work ethic and above all, perseverance in beliving in oneself. Sure she got all that from books, but it's undeniable she's been a great communicator.

I admire Madonna the singer, the performer, the mother, and the woman. The rest is just history.

¡FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS!

2012-01-12-madonna.jpg

I'm just going to spill a little at a time....

As most of you know, I've been a fan pretty much since the beginning.  What fascinates me (other than she's a great entertainer, etc., etc.) is how she's evolved over the years. When she was at her peak and even sometimes afterwards, you rarely saw vulnerability from her.  She came off quite strong and never backed down.  For some, she came off ruthless, cold and calculated. I knew there was more to her than just that, but the fact is; she is far more engaging and reachable then she used to be. She may have been very exploitative regarding her sexuality, but she was bigger than life. She still is; but today you see far more of a human and compassionate side of her than from the earlier days. Of course, I'm not saying she wasn't back then, but she was far less reachable. We see more of a softer side of her these days then in the past. I do think that became more evident once she had children. Over all, she is very smart because she always knew how to control her persona and let it affect her personal life, even if it got controversial, etc.  The more people gave her shit, the more she pushed back!! A lot of people would have had meltdowns (and have) if they experienced what Madonna experienced.  I love the Madonna we see today.  I'm glad she's showing more of a vulnerable side. I believe it's helped soften her image and gain more respect for all the things she went through since the beginning of her career. One thing that still remains, she never plays the victim card.  It took her years into her career to talk about being raped early on before she was famous, but she never let that incident keep her down. She remained in control and forged ahead.  She's a tough woman! 

These words are going to sound so cliche, and I hope to tell more of my Madonna history later on in the day, but I have been celebrating your birthday for the past 5 days now for a reason (with music, movies, interviews, all of it):  Coming from a girl who was put up for adoption when I was 10, who felt so unloved and unwanted, you have given me the courage to be who I want to be and love myself for who I am.  I don't think that it was ever your intention to be a "role model", so to speak, but your actions with shocking people and (like Justin Timberlake said) give people a shot in the ass when they need it has opened up so many doors, that inevitably you are a role model to me and to millions of others.  Happy birthday beautiful; keep kicking ass the only way that you know how to do!