Which Who's That Girl Tour is better

Little Angel

The first Who's That Girl Tour concert I ever watched was obviously Ciao Italia. I still think the audio mix is fascinating, I don't know why some people complain about it... it's even better than the Girlie Show  :redface:! I agree the idea of using footage from different cities might have not turned into the best output, but it was some way necessary as there were really messy camera shots in the RAI broadcast; hence the title of the release Live from Italy and not "Live from Torino" only. 

bb-1988-06-25-ciaoitalia81.jpg

According to Wikipedia it was released on May 24, 1988 so they had plenty of time to select the best angles filmed in Turin and Florence and insert some Japanese magic here and there  :laughing:

As a collector myself I adore the fact that multiple formats were made at the time:

VHS

p-938-Madonna_-_VHS_Live_from_Italy_7599

LASERDISC (Europe and Japan)

ciao-italia-live-from-italy-eu-12-pal-la

LASERDISC (US)

MADONNA_CIAO%2BITALIA%2B-%2BLIVE%2BFROM%

DVD (1999)

dAuLt5jL4os-gl6i0hfjUKIsuLw@550x370.jpg

In relation to the Japan concert, if you hate the mixed concerts trend that's the way to go! According to Discogs, it was released on July 25, 1987 so considering the actual show was filmed on June 22 they had one month to edit the whole thing! Recently, Patrick Leonard shared a comment on Instagram saying that he had the flu while doing the audio mix to this release.

LASERDISC (Japan only)

WTGjpnLDa.jpg

VHS (Japan only)

R-7077849-1433181979-4501.jpeg.jpgR-7077849-1433182034-2879.jpeg.jpgR-7077849-1433181985-6692.jpeg.jpg

Just ordered a copy of the japan version. I assumed the Italy concert got general release because the crowds are more wild. is there another reason this is the better show?

The botchy editing aside I think her energy and the crowd's energy is much superior on Ciao Italia. The interaction with the audience is also more lively and memorable. The whole comb thing etc. It's the version we are all most familiar with. Watch Into The Groove on Japan and the way she addresses the crowd, it lacks the same enthusiasm.

My problem with the RAI broadcast is that the vocals are poorly mixed so she doesn't sound so good. People that notice necklaces changing and things imo are being very picky. I never noticed until internet forums were invented and fans kept pointing it out.

I love my WTG japan Laserdisc -it evens has a beautiful full coilour picture book with it

Audio wise Ciao Italia is the best but its so obviously been remixed as the crowd noises are repeated quite a lot during it - in terms of being filmed though the japan release is better imo as CI release is a mixture of god knows how many concerts - there is rumoured to be a full show from Florence(Which a lot of was used in CI) but its never surfaced 

ITG and the Opening of this tour are still for me her best live concert moments - her dancing in ITG is still to me her best ever - so much energy and i love the percussion aswell as Jai Windings piano solo sublime :))

The first Who's That Girl Tour concert I ever watched was obviously Ciao Italia. I still think the audio mix is fascinating, I don't know why some people complain about it... it's even better than the Girlie Show  :redface:! I agree the idea of using footage from different cities might have not turned into the best output, but it was some way necessary as there were really messy camera shots in the RAI broadcast; hence the title of the release Live from Italy and not "Live from Torino" only. 

bb-1988-06-25-ciaoitalia81.jpg

According to Wikipedia it was released on May 24, 1988 so they had plenty of time to select the best angles filmed in Turin and Florence and insert some Japanese magic here and there  :laughing:

As a collector myself I adore the fact that multiple formats were made at the time:

VHS

p-938-Madonna_-_VHS_Live_from_Italy_7599

LASERDISC (Europe and Japan)

ciao-italia-live-from-italy-eu-12-pal-la

LASERDISC (US)

MADONNA_CIAO%2BITALIA%2B-%2BLIVE%2BFROM%

DVD (1999)

dAuLt5jL4os-gl6i0hfjUKIsuLw@550x370.jpg

In relation to the Japan concert, if you hate the mixed concerts trend that's the way to go! According to Discogs, it was released on July 25, 1987 so considering the actual show was filmed on June 22 they had one month to edit the whole thing! Recently, Patrick Leonard shared a comment on Instagram saying that he had the flu while doing the audio mix to this release.

LASERDISC (Japan only)

WTGjpnLDa.jpg

VHS (Japan only)

R-7077849-1433181979-4501.jpeg.jpgR-7077849-1433182034-2879.jpeg.jpgR-7077849-1433181985-6692.jpeg.jpg

Only it should be just "Live", as it also uses footage from Miami and Tokyo - specially seen in the crowd shots!

• 5 months later...

It is such a toss up. Japan has a better sound mix to me and I like how clean and tight the perfomance is, the crowd is still enthusiastic.

Ciao Italia looks and sounds great, but it was the end of the tour and her voice is drier and tired, however she is loose and relaxed and the audience has a much stronger vibe and is much more raucous. The energy is more intense.

In Italy It feels like they (Madonna and crew) are flying by the seat of their pants, while Tokyo seems more cautious and regimented. 

I feel if we ever got a dvd/digital release from the master tapes of the Tokyo show it would look amazing, it still looks great on LD, and if they keep Pat's original sound mix I would be sold on it.

The Tokyo show seems more girlish and innocent and the Turin show seems a little more grown up, the sexual energy from the crowd, which Madonna feeds off is great. They did a great job of editing the chanting before ITG in Florence into the start of the Turin performance and it is one of my favourite moments from any Madonna tour.

So basically I can't decide, lol.

The Tokyo show aired on television there prior to its release. I heard it aired about two weeks after the concert, so first week of July 1987. So they probably only had two weeks to complete production on it. Maybe they did some more work on it after the tv broadcast, not sure. 

From my experience, Madonna and company didn't spend as much time on her projects as she does now.  That said... it tickles me when some claim she "rushes" her last several albums when for the most part, she spent less time on her most successful albums versus the albums that aren't as successful.  Yet, when you have someone like Orbit chiming in complaining about the time he spent with Madonna versus the time he was given on RAY OF LIGHT, fans automatically assume she rushes everything now or her time is divided beyond projects and that's why it fails or it's considered crap.  The truth is; he is jealous he didn't have full control of an album since RAY OF LIGHT.  In the 80's, she was doing much more (other projects) while recording albums than the last ten to fifteen years.

It is such a toss up. Japan has a better sound mix to me and I like how clean and tight the perfomance is, the crowd is still enthusiastic.

Ciao Italia looks and sounds great, but it was the end of the tour and her voice is drier and tired, however she is loose and relaxed and the audience has a much stronger vibe and is much more raucous. The energy is more intense.

In Italy It feels like they (Madonna and crew) are flying by the seat of their pants, while Tokyo seems more cautious and regimented.

I feel if we ever got a dvd/digital release from the master tapes of the Tokyo show it would look amazing, it still looks great on LD, and if they keep Pat's original sound mix I would be sold on it.

The Tokyo show seems more girlish and innocent and the Turin show seems a little more grown up, the sexual energy from the crowd, which Madonna feeds off is great. They did a great job of editing the chanting before ITG in Florence into the start of the Turin performance and it is one of my favourite moments from any Madonna tour.

So basically I can't decide, lol.

so basically it is the same as blond ambition japan or Nice

• 9 months later...

Last night, I watched tv footage from her concerts in the UK: Leeds and London. It's still weird to see her perform with daylight as it seems she used to start on time, not exactly what happens today :laughing: I wonder if there's any professional footage from Wembley stored somewhere, though I admit some shots where very similar to the ones used in Torino. 

Also, I found it shocking to hear that her concert at Roundhay Park in Leeds was not sold out and that the concert promoter had to offer tickets half price. 

Related image

17 hours ago, madgefan said:

Last night, I watched tv footage from her concerts in the UK: Leeds and London. It's still weird to see her perform with daylight as it seems she used to start on time, not exactly what happens today :laughing: I wonder if there's any professional footage from Wembley stored somewhere, though I admit some shots where very similar to the ones used in Torino. 

Also, I found it shocking to hear that her concert at Roundhay Park in Leeds was not sold out and that the concert promoter had to offer tickets half price. 

Related image

That venue could hold 100,000 people that's why there were still tickets left