Top 3 favorite Madonna movies

geert

#3 :  The Next Best Thing - Certainly not her best acting at all, and at times the lighting just made her look horrid.  That said, I enjoyed the story. I enjoyed seeing Madonna play a character that was less about glam and glitz and more down to earth.  It definitely felt like a movie you would catch on LIFETIME.  I know some people say that to criticize the film, but not all LIFETIME films are bad. I loved seeing her play a mother, yet not your typical soccer mom.  I think if the writer and director paid more attention to the details and Madonna loosened up with speaking her parts, this could have been a much more successful role for her. I know a lot of people who aren't fans of Madonna who actually enjoy this movie. Many felt this was one of the first roles she acted in, that you didn't think, "Oh that's Madonna playing Madonna".  There was substance to this character. 

#2: TRUTH OR DARE - Okay, so it's not your typical "movie", but it was highly entertaining and was the first time, we got a look at Madonna behind the scenes as well as incorporated the bigger than life persona and entertainer she is. This film definitely opened up many doors for all walks of life, including LGBTs. It showed Madonna at her most boldest as well as vulnerable. While I wouldn't say that it was all unscripted, it definitely was candid. Madonna showed the best and the worst side of her at times. She looked incredibly beautiful if not striking throughout the film. There are times you'd think you were watching the re-incarnation of Marilyn Monroe in segments. The film also opened up an interest in what we now call "Reality TV", which I despise, but in the beginning it was less dramatic and put on.  To me, this should go down in history as one of the best Rock Documentaries. There were some before and after this one, but this is the one which seems like a blue print of what "Rock Documentary" should be.

#1: Who's That Girl?  - I'll be the first to admit this movie was over the top, plagued with horrible writing and acting.  The plot was just ridiculous and downright stupid. That said, I LOVE NIKKI FINN.  I thought Madonna's portrayal was fun and full of life.  While the character seemed to be schizo at times, Madonna played it well. This is where you saw Madonna play ditzy as well as a tough broad at the same time. But underneath, you knew there was something more to NiKKI FINN than all the superficial nonsense.  Madonna was hilarious and downright beautiful at times in this movie. If I was to recommend this movie for someone to watch the first time,  I would tell them not go into it, thinking they are going to watch some Oscar worthy performance. I would suggest to go into it to have fun and go along for the rise. Very camp 80's.  A definite screwball comedy. 

1 - Dick Tracy for the wit the voice and the zingers ("I'm wearing black underwear") and for playing second fiddle to Pacino during the whole movie before being revealed as the real bad guy. Are u surprised? Are u?

2 - Evita she is just stunning.

3 - A League Of Their Own such a gorgeous film with great characters and a magical theme song. I still wish she and Rosie had done another better buddy comedy.

The topic of Madonna and movies has always been a troublesome one for me, as she is a truly awful actress, and has appeared in some complete messes. however, there have been few movies that I truly did enjoy.

1. Dick Tracy

2. Bloodhounds of Broadway

3. Desperately Seeking Susan

#1: Who's That Girl?  - I'll be the first to admit this movie was over the top, plagued with horrible writing and acting.  The plot was just ridiculous and downright stupid. That said, I LOVE NIKKI FINN.  I thought Madonna's portrayal was fun and full of life.  While the character seemed to be schizo at times, Madonna played it well. This is where you saw Madonna play ditzy as well as a tough broad at the same time. But underneath, you knew there was something more to NiKKI FINN than all the superficial nonsense.  Madonna was hilarious and downright beautiful at times in this movie. If I was to recommend this movie for someone to watch the first time,  I would tell them not go into it, thinking they are going to watch some Oscar worthy performance. I would suggest to go into it to have fun and go along for the rise. Very camp 80's.  A definite screwball comedy. 

Totally agree with you on this - it was the first film i ever saw in the cinema and i still love it today - its a silly film but has some hilarious moments in it - also i think the gay kiss at the end was quite groundbreaking for '87 ? The soundtrack is ace too - ironically she has stated that she thinks its her worst performance on film ?? Really ? what about Body Of Evidence or Shanghai Surprise ? 

Totally agree with you on this - it was the first film i ever saw in the cinema and i still love it today - its a silly film but has some hilarious moments in it - also i think the gay kiss at the end was quite groundbreaking for '87 ? The soundtrack is ace too - ironically she has stated that she thinks its her worst performance on film ?? Really ? what about Body Of Evidence or Shanghai Surprise ? 

I actually like both those films (BOE & SS).  As for Shanghai Surprise, it's a bit quirky and some of it is very dated and the soundtrack is awful. I actually thought Madonna's acting was far more convincing and genuine than in most of her other films. As for BOE, I think it just gets a bad rap because it was pretty much done already a year before with Sharon Stone and no one was really shocked Madonna would play such a part.  Her acting was a bit stiff I agree.  But she looked gorgeous, and you really do get into her character. I thought the film was very interesting and a bit of a thrill. 

That "gay kiss".  As "groundbreaking" as it seemed, it was very cheesy, over the top and expected.  But so is a lot of other moments in the film.  I just feel if you go into it without expecting something Oscar worthy or serious, you can have fun watching it.  I've seen plenty of Jerry Lewis films that were just as crazy as this.  Not comparing Madonna to Jerry Lewis, but some of his films were pretty ridiculous and corny at times, but fun to watch still.  

• 2 weeks later...

A few people listed TNBT. I remember going to the movie theatre with my mom to see this; on the way there thinking she is going to be the next and Julia Roberts. But it turned out to be the first half some unfunny gay duo comed - all of a sudden like got so dramatic with court rooms/custody/oh my!

1. Who's That Girl

2. Dick Tracy

3. Evita/Body of Evidence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk