Madonna's Album Sales in South America

groovyguy

Madonna in Brazil 
Compiled info about Madonna's chart performance in Brazil 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Albums 

Basic facts: 
All of Madonna's 15 albums have reached the top 10, "GHV2" being her 9th album to hit No.1. Her longest-running No.1 is "Something to remember", which spent 7 weeks atop the charts in late 95/early 96, and her lowest-peaking album is "You can dance", which peaked at No.8 in 1988. 

Certifications: 
Madonna has had every one of her records certified at least Gold in Brazil. Her best selling record remains "True blue", her only effort to outsell the 1 million copies mark. Close behind are "The immaculate collection" with 960.000 copies and "Ray of light", with 800.000 units sold. Here's a rundown of every certification for her albums: 

Madonna - Platinum 
Like a virgin - 2 Platinum 
True Blue - Diamond 
Who's that girl? - Gold 
You can dance - Gold 
Like a Prayer - 3 Platinum 
I'm breathless - Gold 
The Immaculate collection - 3 Platinum 
Erotica - Platinum 
Bedtime stories - Platinum 
Something to remember - 2 Platinum 
Evita - Gold 
Ray of light - 3 Platinum 
Music - 2 Platinum (so far) 
GHV2 - 

In Brazil, Gold certifications stand for 100.00 copies shipped, while Platinum stands for 250.000 copies. Diamond albums are those that exceed 1 million units sold. Most of her albums have sold more than their certication says. For example, "Like a prayer" has sold 750.000 units, and "The immaculate collection" has sold 960.000 units, but both stand at 3 Platinum because "The immaculate collection" needs to hit past the 1 million mark before its certification is updated. Likewise, most of her records are stuck in between certifications. 

Singles 
Basic facts: 
Madonna is the most successful international female artist in the country. She's had several No.1s to her account since her first one, "Like a virgin" in 1985. Her most recent one was "Don't tell me", while her longest-running is "Frozen", which holds the record 7-week run at No.1 under its belt. No other international single has spent so much time at No.1. 

https://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17202

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

https://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17202

About sales, www.abpd.org have some info, its like our RIAA 

Anyway, I compiled the info that I got from Billboard Latin, ABPD and some record companies that published things in respected magazines in Brasil... but most of the data is from Hot 100 Brasil... I have here the ANNUAL CHART for 2002 and 2003, that shows the peaks of ALL songs that charted in those years... if someone wants it, I can send it! And if anyone has the annual chart for 2001, 2000 or any other year, it would be very helpfull =) 

For the certifications, until Dec. 2000, all certs. were GOLD 100k and PLATINUM 250k. From Jan. 2001 on, the certification for foreign artists became GOLD 50K PLAT. 125k, Domestic artists stood the same. Now, since jan. 2004, ALL certs. are GOLD 50k PLAT. 125k. We don't have commercial singles here. We had some, but years back... in the 90's, for Mariah Carey we had only the singles for the "Music box" and "Daydream" album and for Madonna, I remember we had the singles for Ray of light, Dont cry for me Argentina, Music (was GOLD) and Don't tell me... but they never sold well, only MUSIC that sold 100k... but the rest, are very hard to find! 

Any questions or more info, I will be glad to help ya guys icon_wink.gif 

MADONNA >>> (the biggest selling female artist in history in Brasil) - Stats from Warner Brasil 

Madonna 160.000 (Gold) 
Like a virgin 400.000 (Platinum) 
True blue 1.000.000 (4x Platinum) 
Who's that girl 120.000 (Gold) 
You can dance 120.000 (Gold) 
Like a prayer 750.000 (3x Platinum) 
I'm breathless 150.000 (Gold) 
The Immaculate collection 960.000 (3x Platinum) 
Erotica 250.000 (Platinum) 
Bedtime stories 250.000 (Platinum) 
Something to remember 300.000 (Platinum) 
Evita 120.000 (Gold) 
Ray of light 830.000 (3x Platinum) 
Music 400.000 (Platinum) 
GHV2 180.000 (Gold) 
American life 250.000 (2x Platinum) #1 (2 weeks) - 250k is the certification, but Warner BR said 195k 
Remixed & Revisited EP ??? (Less than 50k, that is a GOLD certification by ABPD) 

Love profusion #40 
Me against the music #6 
Hollywood #21 (2 weeks) 
American life #6 (2 weeks) 
Die another day #6 
GHV2 Thunderpuss Megamix #50 (2 weeks) 
What it feels like for a girl #5 
Don't tell me #5 
Music #1 (6 weeks) 
American pie #19 
Beautiful stranger #12 
The power of goodbye #13