A greatest hits idea

RebelHeARTPOP

A greatest hits album but the songs are re-recorded and re-produced to sound how Madge would want them to sound if they were made today.

Imagine a slightly dance hall trop house mix of La Isla Bonita with new Vocals and maybe new lyrics. Imagine say Human Nature only instead of just talking about the Erotica Backlash she talks about more recent scandals. It would be so neat to hear!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I don't know.  Her voice is quite different today, and in many ways technically better. Though, I never had an issue with her voice before any of her training. I loved her raw voice from the past.  I'm just thinking of when she re-recorded "Into The Groove" for "Into the Hollywood Groove".  It just sounded too damn weird for me.  It's the same for the recordings for her tours such as "Vogue" on RIT.  While the performance is great, I just didn't like how she sounded on that version, and there are other live performances where she had pre-recorded the track which doesn't do it for me either, unlike the original.

However, I wouldn't necessarily kick the idea of re-inventing the classics.  Though, I think I prefer to see her to do it in a more acoustical setting.  All these years, we watched her just perform her music.  And while some of her recent tours, we've gotten some stripped down versions of her songs, I guess I would love to see a whole show of that... much like an "Unplugged" set.  Now she's ready to chat with us, I wouldn't mind her sitting down and telling us more about some of her most iconic hits (and others) while performing them more acoustically. That's my two cents or so!!!   :wink:

I want a better and more inclusive compilation album, a second ballads collection, a remix album, and an album of unreleased tracks first!

Other than remixes and unreleased tracks, I guess I can't see how a "better and more inclusive album" would even sell these days.  We all can create that compilation (song wise) anymore.  I guess for those sound techies, I understand them wanting a more remastered sound of some of her classics.  To me, I really feel that with "Immaculate Collection",  "GHV2"  and "Something To Remember" we got a pretty good hits album for the times.  I wasn't bothered by the version they chose because I felt it was a smart strategy (for Madonna businesswise) in keeping the single versions, etc, sought after still. I do feel that "Celebration" pretty much encompasses her iconic hits.  And I think it was a pretty smart business move on the first three compilations to keep them segregated to cover a certain period of time, allowing the other ones to continue to be sought after. 

Other than remixes and unreleased tracks, I guess I can't see how a "better and more inclusive album" would even sell these days.  We all can create that compilation (song wise) anymore.  I guess for those sound techies, I understand them wanting a more remastered sound of some of her classics.  To me, I really feel that with "Immaculate Collection",  "GHV2"  and "Something To Remember" we got a pretty good hits album for the times.  I wasn't bothered by the version they chose because I felt it was a smart strategy (for Madonna businesswise) in keeping the single versions, etc, sought after still. I do feel that "Celebration" pretty much encompasses her iconic hits.  And I think it was a pretty smart business move on the first three compilations to keep them segregated to cover a certain period of time, allowing the other ones to continue to be sought after.

I can agree on "The Immaculate Collection" to a certain extent, but with all those missing hits and in the case of the first one, no new songs, "GHV2" and "Celebration" are total misses to me. "Something to Remember" is great as well, but we need a sequel to that one.

I can agree on "The Immaculate Collection" to a certain extent, but with all those missing hits and in the case of the first one, no new songs, "GHV2" and "Celebration" are total misses to me. "Something to Remember" is great as well, but we need a sequel to that one.

Maybe I'm reading what you posted wrong, but IC had two new songs... "Justify My Love" and "Rescue Me".  And I think it was quite the definitive collection at the time.  GHV2 was a continuation of where Immaculate left off.  Not sure what was missed regarding the hits other than TUTBMP and "I'll Remember" but the latter was part of the Something to Remember collection?  As for Celebration, it's pretty definitive.  But none of them were missing a lot of anything of the time they were released. 

A greatest hits album but the songs are re-recorded and re-produced to sound how Madge would want them to sound if they were made today.

Imagine a slightly dance hall trop house mix of La Isla Bonita with new Vocals and maybe new lyrics. Imagine say Human Nature only instead of just talking about the Erotica Backlash she talks about more recent scandals. It would be so neat to hear!

I want a Orchestral Album with Greatest Hits like The Abbey Road Sessions by Kylie Minogue :heart:

I have been saying this for YEARS! It doesn't have to be orchestral, but yes, absolutely an album of re-imaginings!! 

Maybe I'm reading what you posted wrong, but IC had two new songs... "Justify My Love" and "Rescue Me". And I think it was quite the definitive collection at the time. GHV2 was a continuation of where Immaculate left off. Not sure what was missed regarding the hits other than TUTBMP and "I'll Remember" but the latter was part of the Something to Remember collection? As for Celebration, it's pretty definitive. But none of them were missing a lot of anything of the time they were released.

I was obviously referring to "GHV2" about the lack of new songs. For the lack of classics, you are the first Madonna fan I see that seems to be perfectly content with "GHV2" and "Celebration". The first one lacked 'Rain', 'Bad Girl', and 'You'll See' in addition to the songs you listed. Who cares if many of them were included on "Something to Remember", so was 'Take a Bow', and it was included on the 2001 compilation as well. "GHV2" also contained 'Drowned World/Substitute for Love' which wasn't even a single in North America. 'Bedtime Story' and 'Human Nature' were not very successful chart-wise, but the songs you mentioned that were left out had been #1 and #2 hits in the US. There is also 'American Pie' which was #1 in the UK.

And don't even get me started on "Celebration". It barely represented the "Erotica" and "American Life" eras. No 'Give It 2 Me' but 'Miles Away', really? No songs from "Evita" and "Something to Remember", no the-long missed 'Angel' and 'True Blue' but all the singles from the first album? Just the half of what was represented on "GHV2", let alone what wasn't represented? You may like it as much as you want, of course, but I will not agree that this is a sufficient representation of her career.

These have been discussed in their own threads, if you are interested and missed the threads. A singer in Madonna's caliber should celebrate the almost 30th anniversary of her career with a standard double-disc compilation and a deluxe triple-disc compilation. There were so many good songs to exclude!

But they do include the "classics".  GHV2 pretty much picked up where Immaculate Collection left off.  I'm not saying a couple of songs could have been switched out, but it pretty much represented the essentials in the 90's.   As Celebration pretty much represented her biggest Iconic hits throughout her career.  It seems silly to me to nickle and dime these over a couple odd inclusions or exclusions, when for the most part the collections did include the biggest hits.  As for Evita,  I can see leaving off "You Must Love Me" and "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" since they were already included on the GHV2 and Something To Remember.  Also, I truly don't see how any of those songs really would fit Celebration when we have more the 90% of the collection full of defining songs.  I'll give you "Miles Away", but all the other songs were major hits for her with the exception of "Sorry" and "Hollywood" in a few other regions. But the missing of "Angel" and "Give it 2 Me" (great songs) doesn't makes that set definitive and not up to "caliber".  It certainly does celebrate nearly 30 years of her career.  I'm sure any casual or non-fan would not even remember songs like "Give it 2 Me" and "Angel".

But that's my opinion.  Different strokes for different folks, I guess. 

But they do include the "classics". GHV2 pretty much picked up where Immaculate Collection left off. I'm not saying a couple of songs could have been switched out, but it pretty much represented the essentials in the 90's. As Celebration pretty much represented her biggest Iconic hits throughout her career. It seems silly to me to nickle and dime these over a couple odd inclusions or exclusions, when for the most part the collections did include the biggest hits. As for Evita, I can see leaving off "You Must Love Me" and "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" since they were already included on the GHV2 and Something To Remember. Also, I truly don't see how any of those songs really would fit Celebration when we have more the 90% of the collection full of defining songs. I'll give you "Miles Away", but all the other songs were major hits for her with the exception of "Sorry" and "Hollywood" in a few other regions. But the missing of "Angel" and "Give it 2 Me" (great songs) doesn't makes that set definitive and not up to "caliber". It certainly does celebrate nearly 30 years of her career. I'm sure any casual or non-fan would not even remember songs like "Give it 2 Me" and "Angel".

But that's my opinion. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

If we are going to call each other's opinions "silly", I will not lower myself to this debate anymore. This is ugly. Besides you don't even understand what I say. Of course it includes classics, that's what compilations do! There is a huge difference between "no" and "not enough" and such a genius as yourself should differentiate these two, you know, as silly folks like me can!

If we are going to call each other's opinions "silly", I will not lower myself to this debate anymore. This is ugly. Besides you don't even understand what I say. Of course it includes classics, that's what compilations do! There is a huge difference between "no" and "enough" and such a genius as yourself should differentiate these two, you know, as silly folks like me can!

Seems a bit of an over-reaction to my response, in my opinion.  I understand what you say, but obviously we have a communication or generation gap getting in the way.  That said, my comments weren't meant to be derogatory. I was generalizing about the idea of nitpicking.  Just thought it was a silly notion.  Sorry!!

She should do a celebratory compilation that isnt just about including everything when it comes to tracklisting but actually with great packaging and maybe a big booklet with pics and critical analysis of her music plus her own anecdotes and opinions on the songs. We can add an extra CD with reinventions to it. To me the only good compilation is IC. She should take it on as a real creative project like an album or movie eventually.

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest GHV3 (another name or whatever), made of the better singles (usually the first two) of each album starting with American Life. Let's face it, Celebration did nothing in regards to American life and Hard Candy like it should have. American Life made higher on the charts than Sorry but was still dropped, maybe due to the trouble caused, which wasn't very much. I would suggest maybe a greatest hits but with extended versions of everything, to help fill the spaces. Since the IC featured remixed versions and GHV2 featured a lot radio edits, i think taking extended routes would be smart.

I would love a singles greatest hits box set that has all the 7" versions /edits of the early songs like holiday, borderline , lucky star plus the 7" mixes of open your heart , like a prayer , express , keep it together that would be so amazing but will never happen ;((

That would be epic!

A remix compilation would be great but I don't want her to re-record the vocals unless they are doing something totally different. Her studio versions, for example, are quite perfect and a copilation of those would be just great.
I'd love an orchestral album in the vein of The Abbey Road Sessions too, that's the finest example of a compilation of re-imagined hits that comes to my mind.
However, results may vary: 

She just needs to do MTV Unplugged. An all-acoustic set of songs from her catalogue (hits and non-singles) and avoid "special guest appearances", unless it's Niki Haris and Donna DeLory.

WOULD BE AMAZING, an acoustic Version of L4L and Ghosttown with Nicki and Donna would have been EVERYTHING

But they do include the "classics".  GHV2 pretty much picked up where Immaculate Collection left off.  I'm not saying a couple of songs could have been switched out, but it pretty much represented the essentials in the 90's.   As Celebration pretty much represented her biggest Iconic hits throughout her career.  It seems silly to me to nickle and dime these over a couple odd inclusions or exclusions, when for the most part the collections did include the biggest hits.  As for Evita,  I can see leaving off "You Must Love Me" and "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" since they were already included on the GHV2 and Something To Remember.  Also, I truly don't see how any of those songs really would fit Celebration when we have more the 90% of the collection full of defining songs.  I'll give you "Miles Away", but all the other songs were major hits for her with the exception of "Sorry" and "Hollywood" in a few other regions. But the missing of "Angel" and "Give it 2 Me" (great songs) doesn't makes that set definitive and not up to "caliber".  It certainly does celebrate nearly 30 years of her career.  I'm sure any casual or non-fan would not even remember songs like "Give it 2 Me" and "Angel".

But that's my opinion.  Different strokes for different folks, I guess. 

Give It 2 Me is pretty well known.

Give It 2 Me is pretty well known.

Maybe to younger fans and in certain regions where it was more successful.  Of her complete catalog, many wouldn't list "Give it 2 Me" as one of her classic hits.