The Who's That Girl/You Can Dance Era

groovyguy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

10 reasons why Who’s That Girl is a classic movie

http://www.gaytimes.co.uk/culture/81923/10-reasons-whos-girl-classic-movie/

14:59 1st August 2017 by Gay Times

Madonna’s fifth movie turns 30 this year!

The 80s gave us so many movies that have now become our ‘go to’ comfort films. You know the ones… It’s Sunday afternoon, you’re scrolling through the channels, it’s all Keeping Up Appearances and Country File (note to self, set TiVo for Hyacinth) and then you see it: The Goonies, Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice, you stop scrolling and settle in.

For me that movie will always be Who’s That Girl starring Madonna…wait, hear me out!

Here are 10 reasons why Who’s That Girl deserves the props it never got.

1. Madonna’s plays a gun-toting, shoplifting, reckless driving, wise-cracking loveable bad-ass with great lipstick (“Fire Engine Red… can’t get that shade a red anymore!â€)

2. It’s a classic 80’s comedy romp format that’s all set within a 24hr period, no boring bits, every scene is a winner.

3. The cast is brilliant, Madonna as Nikki Finn stars alongside the brilliant Griffin Dunne, John Martin and the late Sir John Mills. There’s even a brief appearance by a young Stanley Tucci.

4. The soundtrack is 80’s-tastic with Madonna singing four of the songs on the album – the title track Who’s That Girl, Causing A Commotion, The Look of Love and the brilliant, but lesser-known, Can’t Stop.

5. Madonna’s outfits are brilliant, her hair is iconically outstanding, her accessories are great – including a Rolls Royce which she destroys between the start and end of the movie.

6. Alongside Griffin Dunne, Madonna co-stars with a chicken McNugget-eating Cougar, an actual big cat, not an older woman that likes young men…Yes I see the irony!

7. The gags are hilariously immature…

Nurse: What’s your husband’s name? (it’s not her husband)

Madonna: Loudon.

Nurse: And his last name?

Madonna: (with blank look) Clear.

GENIUS!

8. The movie starts off with Madonna in jail…now you know how we all love a women’s prison. Please note she was not remanded for her previous movie Shanghai Surprise.

9. Madonna’s comic timing is perfection – please see the co-op apartment scene, the gun buying scene, the present showing party….please see the entire movie.

10. The movie starts with a cartoon of Madonna…I repeat the movie starts with a cartoon of Madonna

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You Can Dance was set for release initially Christmas 1986. It was only to be a 6 cut LP with producers tossing up between Everybody and Physical Attraction and the possibility of adding another new track 'Working My Fingers to the Bone'. It was delayed first to Spring 1987 and then Autumn. It is odd as both Everybody and Physical Attraction made it to the LP but Physical Attraction is really not remixed at all. So I wonder if it was a last minute add on.

Madonna didn't perform live via satellite at the 1987 MTV Awards, it was a taped performance from Italy the week before. In fact the performance they aired has the same shots from Japan edited in. The concert was Sep 4th and MTV Awards Sep 11th.

Who's That Girl? began principal photography October 27, 1986 in New York City. It moved to Oxnard & Pasadena California about a month later. Madonna wrapped her scenes in January 1987 but filming continued until Feb 1987. James Foley stated Madonna drove him mad visitng the set after she had completed her part. 

• 9 months later...

One thing I have always been puzzled about “You Can Dance” is the lack of big hits. I mean, NO singles from “Like a Virgin” and “True Blue”, come on? No ‘Like a Virgin’, no ‘Papa Don’t Preach’, no ‘La Isla Bonita’, no ‘Material Girl’ and on and on and on. The only hits were ‘Into the Groove’ and ‘Holiday’, which was, at the time, not even a Madonna classic. I think ‘Holiday’ became a hit over the years when Madonna re-released it over and over, and when she performed it so often on her tours. The other single was ‘Everybody’, again not a hit.

I believe that if this album had contained remixes of hit singles as I mentioned, it would have been much more successful.

32 minutes ago, Turuncan said:

One thing I have always been puzzled about “You Can Dance” is the lack of big hits. I mean, NO singles from “Like a Virgin” and “True Blue”, come on? No ‘Like a Virgin’, no ‘Papa Don’t Preach’, no ‘La Isla Bonita’, no ‘Material Girl’ and on and on and on. The only hits were ‘Into the Groove’ and ‘Holiday’, which was, at the time, not even a Madonna classic. I think ‘Holiday’ became a hit over the years when Madonna re-released it over and over, and when she performed it so often on her tours. The other single was ‘Everybody’, again not a hit.

I believe that if this album had contained remixes of hit singles as I mentioned, it would have been much more successful.

Well, If I recall correctly, the remix album came about because she wasn't keen on how some were mixing/mastering her older songs. She was still working on TRUE BLUE as it hadn't been released. I guess the plan was to release the remix album at Christmas '86, rather a year later.  Possibly, they were counting on releasing "Where's The Party?" as a single by the years end?  Though, that's not how the singles panned out for TRUE BLUE.  Then "Who's That Girl" came along, so it prolonged releasing it even more. 

I know back then, Warners was also very concerned that Madonna would be over-saturating the market.  That was definitely a concern back in '85 when Warners was only going to back either "Angel" or "Into The Groove" as a single. Now, it all seems silly, since radio and MTV were all over ITG.  They should have just released ITG as a single as well. It would definitely been #1 for her.  Though again, the record company was very cautious since "Like A Virgin", "Material Girl" and "Crazy For You" were still hugely popular, along with some of her FIRST album singles rebounding in popularity.  

• 1 month later...

August 25 & 26, 1987 ?
Hello Amsterdam... ROTTERDAM! Holland! ?? <3
Rotterdam was on fire as Madonna played 2 sold out shows at the Feijenoord stadium ?️ on the Who's That Girl Tour. 
Notice her face at the beginning of "Papa Don't Preach" when she mouths "No, don't throw things up here!" ☝?to her fans in the front row hahahaha Gotta love her! ?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...