Turuncan

Anyone who read the book? Thoughts?

The version I read was a bad translation, but still I enjoyed it. It was an insight into Madonna's life and like a backstage pass for those who are curious. And if it is written in all honesty, I kinda felt bad for Christopher although he acted very sillily on certain occasions.

I liked it, too, I have to confess!

I especially found these three things interesting:

1) When Madonna came to NY she wasn't alone without the help of her family - the 35 dollars is part of the mithology built around her;

2) Some scenes we see from Truth or dare are not totally real and due to editing, such as Christopher telling her about the police in Toronto or the idea to pay visit to her mother's grave, which is a beautiful scene but still terrible if you think about it being "public";

3) The hate of Guy Ritchie for gay people, which explains some choices of that period.

I like the book... I find it very interested when he talks about things that happened promoting her albums, tours and things like that. Some people thinks that it's full of hate but I don't think is all about hate. I think he writes very interesting things too.

When it comes to Madonna biography's I think that are always the same. They write about her lovers and the people she used to be a star and things like that. It's really boring. This book at least has some interesting stories about her life and her work during the promotion and things like that. I'd love to read someday a book like that written by Madonna saying things like "What I really enjoyed of this tour" or "What I hated about that" or "I choose to work with this person"... How does she remember the travel to promote "Holiday" and that kind of things??? I say "Holiday" but love to read everything from "Everybody" to her last work (when the time comes). Who knows? Maybe some day.

But yes, for me is a very interesting book.

There are some parts in the book that were quite interesting, especially the beginning with the tour stuff and her early days in New York. I wished it had stayed that way but halfway through it turned sour and overall I hate that book because her brother put stuff in it which is absolutely private and really doesn´t belong in public, like the things about money etc.  A decent person would never do this. I understand why she was very hurt and didn´t spoke to her brother for years. He deserved it. Plus Christopher is a very whiny person and plays the victim too often, after the middle of the book he mostly went on my nerves with his stupid behavior.

I liked it, too, I have to confess!

I especially found these three things interesting:

1) When Madonna came to NY she wasn't alone without the help of her family - the 35 dollars is part of the mithology built around her;

2) Some scenes we see from Truth or dare are not totally real and due to editing, such as Christopher telling her about the police in Toronto or the idea to pay visit to her mother's grave, which is a beautiful scene but still terrible if you think about it being "public";

3) The hate of Guy Ritchie for gay people, which explains some choices of that period.

these were my big take aways as well.  I saw Guy on Graham Norton recently and you can sort of get some homophobe vibes.  Charlie Hunnam, who he was appearing with, was so opposite.

these were my big take aways as well.  I saw Guy on Graham Norton recently and you can sort of get some homophobe vibes.  Charlie Hunnam, who he was appearing with, was so opposite.

I hope Rocco comes out as, at least, bisexual at some point.

Never liked Guy.

There are some parts in the book that were quite interesting, especially the beginning with the tour stuff and her early days in New York. I wished it had stayed that way but halfway through it turned sour and overall I hate that book because her brother put stuff in it which is absolutely private and really doesn´t belong in public, like the things about money etc.  A decent person would never do this. I understand why she was very hurt and didn´t spoke to her brother for years. He deserved it. Plus Christopher is a very whiny person and plays the victim too often, after the middle of the book he mostly went on my nerves with his stupid behavior.

This is why I refuse to buy or read it.  I refuse to give money to this fool when he clearly had it published to strike back at his sister who originally set out to help him curb his addictions, etc. Certainly, I don't believe Madonna to be perfect, so I would expect a disgruntled ex-friend/lover/employee to dish, but for a brother who she gave a job and supported for years, only to turn around and publish a book without her consent is just the ultimate low.  She's definitely a bigger person to forgive and move on.  But I'm sure she will have issues in trusting and confiding to him from this point on.  I know I that I would.  She has other siblings who didn't get as much support and career opportunities as much as Christopher, yet he chose to dish on her the moment she cut him off because of his drug usage.  I'm sure other factors came into play to put a strain on their relationship, but it's no reason to publish a book on one's sister without their blessing. I'm sure he would be far less forgiving if the shoe was on the other foot.

To be honest I am not sure if Christopher used Madonna more than Madonna used Christopher...

Of course he owes his fame and position to her totally.

What I don't understand is that M always changes people around her and forgets them, with a few relevant exceptions such Debi Mazar...

Christopher told things that sounded true. Is it truth disrespectful?

One more question. Does anyone have the audio book read by Christopher? It would be interesting to hear his voice and tell if he sounds honest. Please share!!!!!

This is why I refuse to buy or read it.  I refuse to give money to this fool when he clearly had it published to strike back at his sister who originally set out to help him curb his addictions, etc. Certainly, I don't believe Madonna to be perfect, so I would expect a disgruntled ex-friend/lover/employee to dish, but for a brother who she gave a job and supported for years, only to turn around and publish a book without her consent is just the ultimate low.  She's definitely a bigger person to forgive and move on.  But I'm sure she will have issues in trusting and confiding to him from this point on.  I know I that I would.  She has other siblings who didn't get as much support and career opportunities as much as Christopher, yet he chose to dish on her the moment she cut him off because of his drug usage.  I'm sure other factors came into play to put a strain on their relationship, but it's no reason to publish a book on one's sister without their blessing. I'm sure he would be far less forgiving if the shoe was on the other foot.

I only read the first two sentences, but you can just download a PDF online without having to buy it. You could also buy a cheap used copy of the book on Amazon and that way you won't be "giving money to this fool".

this one's a guilty pleasure. i liked the book.

it has a lot of undertones that seem to express that christopher loves his sister and felt hurt.

it was interesting to read things from his point of view. someone who was clearly close to her through a very important part of her life and career. it's just a perspective, an emotional one at that, which makes it an intriguing read.

in the end, i don't think it hurt her public persona at all. on the contrary. it kept her being talked about.

i don't have to go into christopher's motives. the guy needed money.

I only read the first two sentences, but you can just download a PDF online without having to buy it. You could also buy a cheap used copy of the book on Amazon and that way you won't be "giving money to this fool".

@@James19709 The thing is I have no interest in reading it.  I know the jest of it, based on reviews, fan accounts of reading it, and excerpts.  The fact is he wrote it without her permission and because he was pissed at her.  He wanted to profit from that.  He knew people would be interested in juicy accounts of her life whether embellished or not.  I'm sure he will deal with trust issues with her for the rest of his life. 

@@James19709 The thing is I have no interest in reading it.  I know the jest of it, based on reviews, fan accounts of reading it, and excerpts.  The fact is he wrote it without her permission and because he was pissed at her.  He wanted to profit from that.  He knew people would be interested in juicy accounts of her life whether embellished or not.  I'm sure he will deal with trust issues with her for the rest of his life. 

Then why even post in the thread lmao

Then why even post in the thread lmao

Why not?  I offered my "thoughts" about the book as the original poster was asking.  Whether I read it or not isn't a prerequisite of posting in this thread.  :wink:

She's definitely a bigger person to forgive and move on.  But I'm sure she will have issues in trusting and confiding to him from this point on. 

I'm sure he will deal with trust issues with her for the rest of his life. 

I think so too. When you watch this clip (at 5:00 minutes) you see it in the look of her face. She is still very hurt about it and altough she says she talks with him again I think she can/will never fully trust him again unfortunately.