Turuncan

Dislike towards Rebel Heart Tour?

Lazy and cheap sounding "reinterpretations" of oldies

Almost exclusively songs from Rebel Heart and the 80s...the 90s and 00s were ignored almost entirely yet she decided to dg out almost every fucking single from her worst 80s album (LAV).

The show didn't match up to the intro at all...it was too cutesy and too light-hearted for a show that seemed to have been originally conceived as way darker and more political (like the album itself).

The album was one of her best in a long time and had a great concept and story attached t it, the tour failed to transport any of that into the show and instead seemed like a mixed bag of rehashed ideas scrambled together into a show that was not cohesive in any way. The song selection within the sections was beyond terrible and random? Candy Shop was performed AGAIN. A lot of the tour versions sounded like watered down album versions and Holiday was the most bland, unnecessary version she has ever done of it.

All in all, this show had exactly one purpose: to please casual fans and to have a DVD that would sell well (due to the amount of 80s songs in it).

I was more disappointed in the interludes on this tour more than anything. The intro was the best part of the whole show and all the interludes that followed were beyond cheap. She clearly had filmed an actual clip for the S.E.X. interlude but they replaced all the footage she had filmed with the Erotica video for no reason. Messiah's a beautiful song but unfortunately the interlude was just the Ghosttown video. Illuminati was the second best interlude next to the intro and they put a lot more effort into that one than the two previously mentioned. I feel like she didn't try with this tour compared to all of her other ones. She wanted to please a specific target audience clearly and not those who have been watching her perform for 30+ years. Just a setlist with mostly Rebel Heart material sprinkled with her 80s hits throughout was pretty dull if you ask me and I didn't see the tour live. Hopefully she comes back with a show that pleases the people who have been seeing her since The Virgin Tour next time around.

17 hours ago, thegr8forever said:

I was more disappointed in the interludes on this tour more than anything. The intro was the best part of the whole show and all the interludes that followed were beyond cheap. She clearly had filmed an actual clip for the S.E.X. interlude but they replaced all the footage she had filmed with the Erotica video for no reason. Messiah's a beautiful song but unfortunately the interlude was just the Ghosttown video. Illuminati was the second best interlude next to the intro and they put a lot more effort into that one than the two previously mentioned. I feel like she didn't try with this tour compared to all of her other ones. She wanted to please a specific target audience clearly and not those who have been watching her perform for 30+ years. Just a setlist with mostly Rebel Heart material sprinkled with her 80s hits throughout was pretty dull if you ask me and I didn't see the tour live. Hopefully she comes back with a show that pleases the people who have been seeing her since The Virgin Tour next time around.

:whipping:Tell em!

I don't understand this obsession with comparing/ranking tours etc. Every time she hits the road she gives us a different story. Anyway, I've seen her live many times, saw RHT twice and it was the most fun and joyous experience I've ever had on a Madonna concert. 

She wasn't in shape. Her dancing was too casual and not in sync with the dancers.  I don't know if she wanted it to be that way, but it seemed like she became old to do usual things. However, it was weird that she was good and energetic on MDNA tour (2012) and a few years later she wasn't. Many parts felt amateurish because of dancing and other elements.

That is the main issue. I don't want her to become like Cher who barely moves while other dancers dance around her.

Other flaws would be reinventions. I don't mind a song in original form here and there, but there were too many and it felt like they all were too lazy to do interesting arrangements. Sure I wished some songs didn't make the setlist and were replaced by better songs, but it was an acceptable setlist.

The bad things were the interludes (Illuminati being an exception). They didn't make sense. S.E.X. interlude for Latino section and Messiah for Rockabilly...seriously?

If we take into consideration the rumored ideas by some insiders (like whole church section featuring Deeper and Deeper with bishops), the show could have been much better. Perhaps, the show was truly rushed like many fans said. I mean, that S.E.X. video not being used...

Too bad many great performances weren't included on DVD. Who's That Girl deserved its spot and the omission of LDLHA was silly. She didn't perform those in ages or ever and those two should be the  priority, not Like A Prayer which was on many tours.

If it is a live concert then music comes first in my opinion. This isn't always the case with Madonna tours. But if you can make a statement or do something that raises eyebrows then ok. However if you don't have anything new to say, anything new to prove, anything cool to show...then stick with a great music choices on your setlist. I love the intro, I didn't like the song that much (Iconic) just ain't working for me, wasn't even a single. Bitch I'm Madonna was cool, I didn't like the song but this performance was great (just DVD editing was over the top and very distracting). Burning up... ok, Holly water/Vogue - ok just I didn't get the transition from Asia to Nuns...   Part two, bad choice for opening..Body shop...really queen? Papa don't preach would be better (the guy from the PDP video was a mechanic also) and then perfectly True Blue... the rest is ok actually.

Part three - we allready had latin/etno/gipsy themes in her shows - Living for love REMIX?!?!?!  it ruins the song - I think best version of LFL musicly was Brit Awards. La Isla ok just a little borring, would be great if she pulled Take a Bow/You'll see in that section would fit the matador theme... that megamix was musicly just poor and weak. Request section was fine. I support that.

Part four - great start, but she lost me on Material Girl....looks tired, energy level down. Would be better if after Candy shop she just went on  Holiday. And then as a bonus she finishes the show with Ghosttown and some meaningful message written on screens.  But ok that's how I'd do it, but I'm not Madonna. LoL

This show wasn't prepared as MDNA - backdrops were just a lighting for the stage, nothing memorable.

Opening intro was great, the rest was rushed and not much work was made into it like on MDNA tour.