Patti LuPone Says Madonna ‘Couldn’t Act Her Way Out Of A Paper Bag’

mr.sterns

cheap shot to come for her for Evita. :polish:

but while I think her acting in some of her movies is good, I dont think she ever really tried hard to be an actress, it was more like "what script mirrors what Im exploring as a pop artist at the moment", therefore she chose some terrible ones just because she could. :thinker:

Madonna's career as an actress is literally a roller coaster, sometimes she's good at it and sometimes she's not. I think it all depends on the character she's portraying and the story. 

Now that we're talking about it, I can't imagine M as the lead in Boxing Helena. You know, that movie about a man who's obsessed with a woman so he kidnaps her and removes her limbs, making it impossible for her to escape. She was also offered the role of Harley Quinn in a third Batman movie by Joel Schumacher; good God she said no. And she dropped out of Music Of The Heart, it was such a lovely movie and I would've love to see her playing a teacher, but oh well.

Guest ArthurBadin

The question is: why Andy Cohen is still so obsessed with Madonna?

He can't swallow the fact she goes to every single talk show but his.

So he brings up all those people remotely related to her to keep talking about her.

I don't understand but Bravo was once a culture channel, wasn't it? The more than amazing "Inside the Actors Studio" was broadcast on there, wasn't it?

Too bad probably due to ratings it was relegated to present shows like Cohen's and those franchises of "Real Housewives of Any City".

By the way: didn't know who this woman was until I realized she was an Evita performer. Too sad she didn't manage to get the main role on the musical film. Maybe next time, ok, dear?

See you!

Guest ArthurBadin

She might have been bad in many movies, but she was good in "Desperately Seeking Susan" and "Evita".

The question is, dear @@Turuncan, that nobody nowadays wants to judge M by her acting on movies. Nobody cares about that. Even last movie when she's acting is about 15 years old (of course I'm not counting that Arthur movie by Luc Besson when she was dubbing an animation character). No one remembers Madonna ups and downs regards her acting works. Even talking about M about anything else she did or has done sounds like old-fashioned (that's the truth, sorry). The problem is that this obsessed, rejected, repressed guy wants to bring up M to the most conversations he has on his show. So he inquires anyone who comes to his TV show to say at least a little thing about her, positive (like Mariah, for instance), negative (like this woman I'm knowing now), or dubious, even subliminar (like Cyndi's point of view about Woman's March).

The question, here, is not that Patti LuDouche saying what she wants to say or to not say, but the complete despair of this Cohen guy to bring up M to his show. Too bad he'll never be satisfied as much as M has still a mouth to say and decide what to do. See you!

The question is: why Andy Cohen is still so obsessed with Madonna?

He can't swallow the fact she goes to every single talk show but his.

So he brings up all those people remotely related to her to keep talking about her.

I don't understand but Bravo was once a culture channel, wasn't it? The more than amazing "Inside the Actors Studio" was broadcast on there, wasn't it?

Too bad probably due to ratings it was relegated to present shows like Cohen's and those franchises of "Real Housewives of Any City".

By the way: didn't know who this woman was until I realized she was an Evita performer. Too sad she didn't manage to get the main role on the musical film. Maybe next time, ok, dear?

See you!

Why are you going after Cohen? He's a huge Madonna fan and has always been supportive of her. Wouldn't you ask that question as a Madonna fan? Anyway, Lupone - she had nothing nice to say about Les Miserables and Glenn Close starring in Sunset Boulevard either, bit disappointing but she's entitled to her opinion. Who cares really?

Madonna plays "The Madonna" a person all world recognizes. So it is very hard for her to portray anyone else...cause they will always say  it's Madonna...this is not some chick she plays it's Madonna.  She played in many bad movies. And the only roles she was good (not great or perfect, but only good) are the ones she was herself (Susan), was a singer (Breathless), was singing (Evita), or had some small role and it worked great (4 rooms, League of their own). Also she was great in Who's that girl...it was trashy 80s comedy and she did good job, 

About Patti - she has right to feel that, she played Evita in original cast and made it famous, however she would be very bad choice for the part because her singing and acting works great in theater not on screen...you can watch her performing Evita on youtube...it's too powerful and cold but yes she is better singer just it's "too much" for any MOVIE adaptation.

• 8 months later...

Sorry, Patti LuPone: Madonna Is Also Evita [Opinion]

https://www.inquisitr.com/opinion/4769381/madonna-patti-lupone-also-evita/

Patti and others consistently try and rewrite Madonna's success as 'Evita.'

February 3, 2018

There is no denying the fact that technically, Patti LuPone can sing circles (as well as any other shapes) around Madonna. After LuPone’s Grammy performance of “Don’t Cry For Me Argentina†Sunday evening, news media outlets, such as the Los Angeles Times, have pitted the two women against each other in the past week for absolute clickbait. Madonna — as usual — is the one criticized, even though she wasn’t even at the Grammy Awards.

Most praised LuPone’s performance. And technically, LuPone proved that age doesn’t hinder singing ability. But LuPone’s vocals were also all over the place, and unlike Madonna’s somewhat restrained performance of the same song in 1996, Lupone’s vocals made absolutely no connection with the song she was singing. Were all of those who praised LuPone’s performance listening to the same one this author was? It was as if LuPone was trying to remind the world that she is the one and only Evita. But the fact that people, even if negatively, brought Madonna’s name up when discussing the performance proves LuPone didn’t succeed.

Let’s go back in time a little bit. In 1996, Madonna shocked the world with her fantastic portrayal in the hit movie Evita. The film certainly was overhyped and didn’t become the blockbuster that Disney had expected. But the film, even in limited release, made over $50 million in the United States (Box Office Mojo figures). Evita made $141 internationally. Sorry, naysayers — that makes the film a success, especially by 1996 and 1997 standards. Overall, Madonna received positive notices from critics. There were those, blinded by their hatred of the star, that criticized Madonna. However, they only represented a small minority.

Madonna won the Golden Globe for Best Actress in Evita. And she was considered a front-runner for the Oscars in 1997. When she didn’t even get a nomination, people, some who could care less about Madonna, were shocked. Some thought that Madonna was being punished for her “lack of morals,†which, in hindsight, is hilarious given the future revealings of Woody Allen, Harvey Weinstein, and others.

In general, Madonna isn’t a great actress. But that didn’t matter for her role in Evita. She didn’t act; she actually became Evita. And for a pop singer, Madonna really outdid herself. It’s as if she became another singer, giving emotional performances in songs such as “You Must Love Me†and “Another Suitcase In Another Hall†that nobody thought she’d ever be capable of.

The soundtrack for Evita was an international hit, and the only ones who criticized it were those who compared Madonna’s singing to Patti LuPone’s. However, there was never a time in pop music history that an artist, not known for singing abilities, shocked so many people. The movie and soundtrack helped Madonna breathe new life into a career that most thought was dead by the mid-1990s.

The idea that Madonna “was awful†in Evita has only developed within the past 10 years. As an independent female who plays by her own rules rather than the ones a patriarchal society sets for women, Madonna has become a huge threat. She was already a threat in the 1990s, but acting “proper†and getting married helped gain her accolades — all which have been erased since she divorced and continues to not “act her age.â€

This isn’t to say that Madonna, who has produced many WTF moments in the past ten years, isn’t also to blame for hurting her legacy. But to understand the effects of misogyny in the entertainment industry and society on the whole, one must listen to Madonna’s famous speech at the Billboard Women In Music event that took place at the end of 2016. It’s eye-opening and explains a lot.

That’s why it was absolutely disgusting that some cheered when, as reported by E! Online, LuPone, who admits to only seeing one scene in Evita, disgustingly slammed Madonna’s performance in the film. It was pretty obvious that Patti was still bitter for being turned down for the film role. And it was quite ironic that many who praised Madonna’s performance back in 1996 were suddenly on LuPone’s side. They also went for Andy Cohen’s usual bait of pitting two strong women against each other.

Patti LuPone, her PR team, and her fawners in the media may think they are erasing one of Madonna’s biggest career victories. But if LuPone’s Broadway performance as Evita was as spectacular as they say, there wouldn’t be any need to mention Madonna’s name every time LuPone’s is mentioned. Patty LuPone is Evita. But, so is Madonna. Deal with it, haters.

As far as I know, Madonna has never commented on Patti.  Obviously, this is quite one sided, and when you throw in the media which loves to further stir the post, you have an on-going one sided feud that pretty much becomes a fight between the fans. It very much reminds me of the whole Gaga Vs. Madonna nonsense.  One party is vindictive and jealous and gets their fan bases all riled up, causing the fan bases to fight among each other.  To me, it's stupid!! 

It's one thing if Patti, genuinely feels like people and media are trying to dismiss her famous portrayal of Evita on Broadway.  I can understand her being a bit defensive about that.  Because for years, she was known as 'Evita' on Broadway.  Though, I feel like Patti's beef is something far more personal. Possibly, the two crossed paths in social circles and it didn't go well, and since then she's been very bitter and nasty towards Madonna.

Patti is immensely talented and has a huge following of her own in Broadway circles.  She was incredible at the Grammys but it's not my style.  Broadway style singing has never been my thing.  It's so exaggerated and it doesn't reel me in...like M's did.  M may not have the vocal chops but she plays off the emotion of the song.  For Patti to come for M this way comes off as very petty.