Madonna Biopic 'Blond Ambition' Lands at Universal

groovyguy

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/madonna-biopic-blonde-ambition-lands-at-universal-996133

3:24 PM PDT 4/24/2017 by Borys Kit

Lucky star: Elyse Hollander's script was No. 1 on the Black List in 2016. Michael De Luca and Brett Ratner are producing.

Universal is getting into the groove for a Madonna biopic.

The studio has picked up Blond Ambition, Elyse Hollander’s script that topped the 2016 Black List, the industry ranking that tracks Hollywood’s most-liked unproduced screenplays.

Michael De Luca, who produced Fifty Shades of Grey for Universal, is attached to produce along with Brett Ratner’s RatPac Entertainment. John Zaozirny of Bellevue Productions also will produce.

The story is set in early 1980s New York as Madonna Louise Ciccone works on her first album, struggling in a business that treats women badly, while also dealing with a burgeoning love life and the first hints of fame.

Madonna moved to New York from Michigan in 1978 to pursue dance but segued to singing and writing songs. After failing at a rock band, she switched to dance and pop. After achieving some success with a few dance singles, she began work on her debut album, Madonna, which was released in 1983. The album yielded hits "Holiday," "Borderline" and "Lucky Star," and set the stage for her ground-breaking Like a Virgin album.

Blonde Ambition is the debut script for Hollander, who worked as an assistant to Alejandro G. Inarritu while he made Birdman, and Fresh Off the Boat co-executive producer Kourtney Kang. She is repped by WME, Bellevue, Ryan Pastorek and Robby Koch of Hansen Jacobson.

De Luca is coming off of producing this year's Academy Awards and will produce next year's broadcast as well. Ratner's RatPac recently announced a partnership with Len Blavatnik’s Access Entertainment.

Universal executive vp production Erik Baiers and director of development Chloe Yellin will oversee production for the studio. Lucy Kitada will help oversee for De Luca Productions.

Updated Apr 24, 5:50 PM: The title of the project is Blond Ambition, not Blonde Ambition.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

groovyguy

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/madonna-biopic-blonde-ambition-lands-at-universal-996133   3:24 PM PDT 4/24/2017 by Borys Kit   Lucky star: Elyse Hollander's script was No. 1 on the Black List in 2016. Michael De Luca and Brett Ratner are producing. Universal is getting into the groove for a Madonna biopic.   The studio has picked up Blond Ambition, Elyse Hollander’s script that topped the 2016 Black List, the industry ranking that tracks Hollywood’s most-liked unproduced screen

Madame Madonna

This is ridiculous.. I mean who does not know that Her band name was The Emmys?   True: Madonna was in a band called The Emmys!!!   roll my eyes.. OMG what a breaking news!! what a amazing fact checking!!! seriously.     This is why I really angry about these bull shit.   For example Think about this If someone make about michael jackson biopic movie.   And If that movies Story line is MJ made a Neverland BECAUSE HE HAD PLAN to invite children and rape children at there. And BBC fac

groovyguy

In wake of a new biopic, we remember what was really happening before Madonna became Madonna.   A Tribute to Madonna's Early 80s Post Punk Past https://noisey.vice.com/en_ca/article/a-tribute-to-madonnas-early-80s-post-punk-past   ... But perhaps the biggest tragedy of all this, besides a bunch of opportunists laying claim to the origin story of a living legend, is that neither project bears the Madge seal of approval—meaning we may never know the whole truth surrounding key moments in Ma

Posted Images

I read the script and found it awful, so full of incorrect information. I hope they give it first to a new writer to rewrite it!!

I also hope this doesn't damage the project Emmy and the Breakfast Club by Guy Guido is doing a magnificent work and also releasing some new material from Dan Gilroy. As a real fan he found a perfect actress and he is shooting in thecreal locations such as the synagogue.

You know? I was actually talking about the inaccuracy of that one.

I know I just think the biggest problem with that movie is how bad the "character" is... If they change that to something more likeable then it would be totally different.

Im reading the script now, its entertaining, sounds like a netflixy kinda movie tbh

They forgot Paris Jackson who looks like a True Blue Madonna already.

But without Madonna's approval if they can't use her songs the movie will suck!

Another way to make new genarations dislike her...

I have this feeling they are really far from releasing it...

Anyway no one can play Madonna but... MADONNA of course!

A Perfectly Timed Madonna Biopic Is Finally Coming to the Big Screen

Universal just landed the script for Blond Ambition, an account of the superstar’s early life.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/04/madonna-biopic?mbid=social_facebook

Update: April 25, 3:40 P.M.: Madonna herself does not seem too thrilled about the prospect of an upcoming biopic. On Tuesday, the singer posted an Instagram photo of herself in the 1980s, with this sharp caption: “Nobody knows what I know and what I have seen. Only I can tell my story. Anyone else who tries is a charlatan and a fool. Looking for instant gratification without doing the work. This is a disease in our society.â€

The original article continues below.

Madonna’s early days are the stuff of legend. The singer, now 58, dropped out of college in Michigan and jetted off to New York City, where she worked odd jobs and picked up dance classes here and there as she began building her career. She bopped around, settling for a spell in an abandoned synagogue in Queens, where she formed a short-lived band with her live-in boyfriend. Those days were also marked by tragedy—the city “did not welcome me with open arms,†she once wrote. Within her first year, she was mugged at gunpoint and later raped at knifepoint, traumatic experiences that affected her creative output. But Madonna never lost her drive, continuing to grind until she landed a few club hits that would soon launch her to stardom.

Now that hardscrabble-origin story with its deep feminist core is getting the Hollywood treatment. A script about Madonna’s early days, titled Blond Ambition, has been picked up by Universal, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The script, written by first-timer Elyse Hollander, was the top pick on the 2016 Black List, an industry favorite that ranks unproduced screenplays.

“The story is set in early 1980s New York as Madonna Louise Ciccone works on her first album, struggling in a business that treats women badly, while also dealing with a burgeoning love life and the first hints of fame,†per T.H.R. And as most women in the music industry will probably tell you, it’s still one marked by ingrained sexism; at last year’s Billboard Women in Music event, Madonna started her speech with this zinger: “I stand before you as a doormat. Oh, I mean a female entertainer.â€

She continued by thanking the crowd for “acknowledging my ability to continue my career for 34 years in the face of blatant misogyny, sexism, constant bullying, and relentless abuse.â€

That speech, one even Madonna may not have dared to make even a few years ago, is living proof that we’re living in a particularly interesting time to step back and analyze Madonna’s early days. In the entertainment industry, feminism has gone from a scarcely discussed concept to a constant topic of conversation. (Remember the moment media began asking every female celebrity, “But are you a feminist?â€) Once, the concept of female ambition was taboo and scary; now girl bosses are leaning in, or whatever, and glossy pop stars like Ariana Grande and Beyoncé have made outspoken feminism integral to their personal brand.

Before them, of course, there was Madonna—a canny operator who parlayed her own ambition and unapologetic sexuality into an astronomical career, marked by record-breaking success, heady marriages, and contentious decisions, from cultural appropriation to her strong anti-hydrangea stance. However, Blond Ambition's keeping its sights on her early days seems like the right move; it won’t be long before other filmmakers plumb the depths of the rest of Madonna's career, and are left to untangle all of its various highlights and controversies.

Michael De Luca (Fifty Shades of Gray) will produce Blonde Ambition, alongside John Zaozirny of Bellevue Productions. No director has yet been attached to the project—though if Universal really wants to stay on-brand, it should probably hire a woman for this one.

Poll: Who Should Play Madonna in Upcoming Biopic?

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/madonna-biopic-cast-lady-gaga-margot-robbie-poll-1202395880/

News broke on Monday that Universal is developing a biopic about Madonna, and while the superstar herself is none too happy about the news, the question still stands: Who has the chops to play the Queen of Pop?

The movie will focus on Madonna’s efforts in the early 1980s to get her first album released, putting the star in her early-mid-20s. This opens the door for a younger actress to take on the role.

There’s “Fifty Shades†star Dakota Johnson, who proved to be a stand-out in the erotic book adaptations, as well as Margot Robbie, who built hugely on her fanbase by starring as Harley Quinn in “Suicide Squad†and will be playing Tonya Harding in an upcoming biopic.

On the less conventional side, there’s also Lady Gaga. The singer has been branching out into acting, with her roles in “American Horror Story†and the upcoming “A Star Is Born,†and has often been compared to Madonna. Also boasting singing and dancing chops are Julianne Hough and rising Disney star Dove Cameron.

And what about Madonna’s own daughter, Lourdes Leon? While it might seem unlikely, given Madonna’s disapproval of the biopic, there’s certainly a resemblance there, and at 20-years-old, Leon is almost at the right age.

Who do you think should play Madonna? Weigh in below! Disagree with any of our options? Let us know which actress you think should take on the role in the comments section.