The Next Album: What sounds should she use?

gafuller

I don't think that she will go the full political on her next release like she did on American Life. She has more to cover than just that. Rebel Heart was surprisingly personal in several portions and as the Rebel Heart Tour went along, she got more and more personal with her audience. She really broke down walls between herself and her fans this past era. In the last two years, she has made her way through some very public struggles such as the custody hearings over Rocco, the bashing from the media over the tour, and the intense media backlash received from the Women's March speech. The next album I think will be one that is personal and and journalistic. I suspect something moody like Ray of Light. I think that she should go back to work with Stuart Price. He brings a very atmospheric quality to her music. The next album will be something different for her. 

stromai from belgium and some electronic music who robyn works with 

Stromae. yeah. now we're talking. i think he's actually a great example of how you can combine a fun and modern sound with meaningful lyrics that talk about society (if you speak french you'll know where i am coming from).

Robyn...sorry, should have worked with M in 2008, maybe 2009.

There are plenty of names (including those who are mentioned in this thread) - who are doing exceptional great work - but I don't think we will go further than the producers that we already got. especially from rebel heart. I got a feeling we will face a very big hiatus maybe 5 years or more without anything new  :yarn:

I hope she concentrates on lyrics and creates some mature songs. Not that I dislike Bitch I'm Madonna but I'd rather have Drowned World. Her fan base is adult now and needs adult material. You can see it in this forum, where American life is almost everybody's favourite. Rebel Heart seemed to go in the right direction, but then the leaks forced her to hurry things and they screwed up many arrangements, such Joan of Arc, Beautiful scars, even Borrowed time could have been better. Orbit is ok, but she has already done a lot of that, I would like her to use real musicians rather than programmed music. Maybe Patrick Leonard could be helpful!

I agree.  That is exactly what I was thinking, more Ray of Light.

Pet Shop Boys and Stuart Price would be amazing for fresh songs. 80's vibes, with a lot of synths, what u guys think? 

In the latest albums, the music sounds so heavy in general (IMO), I want something more "light and happy", like the RH Demos. She looks so "lively" in those demos. I think thats what is missing in her new songs. For the day to day, I prefer something more vivacious and cheerful, not like Bitch I'm Madonna, but Cherish, to be in the repeat for hours.

(And of course, a featuring with Kylie Minogue, the world need it to rest in peace #dreamingfarfaraway)

:Madonna057:

I actually like some of the instrumentation on the her-story vid, it's all done by the same guy, David Chalmin. I would be curious if she'd work with him and include both the classical influences and crisp electronics used in the video.

In any case I'd like her music to be a bit more conceptual, like american life was acoustic guitars with beats, I'd like it if she'd use piano, cello and accordion in combination with dark electronics, and find variations on that theme, ranging from very classical to very cutting edge.

Exactly my thoughts after having seen the video. In fact I even speculated there would be a new song released the following day with one of the instrumentals used. For the rest: Would love that too! :-)

I don't really care what sound it is, just as long as she drops the trendy 'flavour-of-the-moment' young producers, rent-a-rappers, and Nicki Effing Minaj! She needs to rediscover the gifted artist and trailblazer that she once was.... what sadly isn't present on her last three albums.

RH had a lot of "mature" tracks, but in a couple of songs it came off a little too "saccharine" for my taste. 

What I wouldn't like is for her to fall into the old-fashioned. She's a pop artist and part of that is seeing what's going on in the world, unfortunately at this point she's gonna find resistance from older fans... but Madonna is best when she's a little ahead rather than a little behind (musically speaking). So I'd like something more "out there" yet modern when it comes to who produces it. But mostly we need a focus on composition and melody and not just production. Thankfully RH had more emphasis on that because MDNA was lacking in that department. 

Mixing electronic with acoustic in too obvious a way is what was cutting edge decades ago honestly, so it's not that simple, mostly I want the IDEAS behind the album to be what holds the album together, then composition/songwriting and from that great production can be done. :)

Rebel Heart was a great experiment on variety and quantity, for the next one Id like her to be more focused on less songs and less producers being involved, and more focus on the themes of the album.

RH had a lot of "mature" tracks, but in a couple of songs it came off a little too "saccharine" for my taste. 

What I wouldn't like is for her to fall into the old-fashioned. She's a pop artist and part of that is seeing what's going on in the world, unfortunately at this point she's gonna find resistance from older fans... but Madonna is best when she's a little ahead rather than a little behind (musically speaking). So I'd like something more "out there" yet modern when it comes to who produces it. But mostly we need a focus on composition and melody and not just production. Thankfully RH had more emphasis on that because MDNA was lacking in that department. 

Mixing electronic with acoustic in too obvious a way is what was cutting edge decades ago honestly, so it's not that simple, mostly I want the IDEAS behind the album to be what holds the album together, then composition/songwriting and from that great production can be done. :)

Rebel Heart was a great experiment on variety and quantity, for the next one Id like her to be more focused on less songs and less producers being involved, and more focus on the themes of the album.

I would even be keen on making another album that was mixed like Confessions. To be honest I'm not really into anything thats on the radio this year. So maybe she can just stay away from mainstream. Rebel Heart's conception was organic but was almost pretty much how she described Hard Candy, a juxtaposition of two opposites. The Rebel was generally out done by the Heart unfortunately. I'd like to see some rock and industrial sounds, give some darkness to it. Maybe its time for the Black Madonna?

It's obviously going to be chock full of feminism. There's no doubt about it. That's where her head is at. Sonically, I have no idea. I don't expect another Rebel Heart, or a dance album. While I expect it to be more socially inclined, I don't foresee another American Life. It'll definitely be provocative, much like Vogue Germany... the message. She's pissed... but sexy. I expect cheekiness, but no Bitch, I'm Madonna. 

Pet Shop Boys and Stuart Price would be amazing for fresh songs. 80's vibes, with a lot of synths, what u guys think? 

In the latest albums, the music sounds so heavy in general (IMO), I want something more "light and happy", like the RH Demos. She looks so "lively" in those demos. I think thats what is missing in her new songs. For the day to day, I prefer something more vivacious and cheerful, not like Bitch I'm Madonna, but Cherish, to be in the repeat for hours.

(And of course, a featuring with Kylie Minogue, the world need it to rest in peace #dreamingfarfaraway)

:Madonna057:

I don't see it happening. Maybe 12 years ago.

• 2 months later...

I for one would love an "organic" album...with real instruments and musicians...a band. Joe Henry and Pat as writing buddies.

Once it's done give all tracks to innovative producers for remixing...electronic, house stuff ......released along with singles.

At this point she could release every single song every two months. Radio won't play her anyways. Pic your favorite songs and make 2-3 stellar videos and some low budget but cool ones for the remaining songs. Bla bla. The traditional 3-4 singles and videos and radio bullshit has been done for a long time.

After listening to Katy Perry's latest album, I'm torn. Some of the sound and rythhms are great but then again some how Cher's Woman's World pops in my head when I think about Swish Swish (which is kind of good). I'm not entirely sure it would be a good route for Madonna unless she built a lot of fast paced songs around the rythhms and sounds. I think fast paced songs are where here voice is probably gonna show less age. Ballads where she stretches out words start to show her age, which isn't bad at all.

After listening to Katy Perry's latest album, I'm torn. Some of the sound and rythhms are great but then again some how Cher's Woman's World pops in my head when I think about Swish Swish (which is kind of good). I'm not entirely sure it would be a good route for Madonna unless she built a lot of fast paced songs around the rythhms and sounds. I think fast paced songs are where here voice is probably gonna show less age. Ballads where she stretches out words start to show her age, which isn't bad at all.

how do long stretches in the melody show her "age"? baffled here.

I get it if wrinkles pop up, the way she moves or anything visible may show her age. but i am not sure she "sounds" like an old person?

how do long stretches in the melody show her "age"? baffled here.

I get it if wrinkles pop up, the way she moves or anything visible may show her age. but i am not sure she "sounds" like an old person?

I meant in her voice. But I think where I'm probably finding that is when her voice is strained and she is physically tired.