My Song-By-Song Review of the Rebel Heart Tour Broadcast

Future Lover

*if I need to move this into the RHT SHOWTIME thread I can, I just felt it didn't fit that discussion that well. 

Iconic

Captures the energy really well. Didn't make a mess of it like I thought she would. Highlights the right choreography and cuts some of the more unimportant parts. The editing is really fast and choppy for the start, but by the second verse, it calms down some. Overall, a pretty good start. 

Bitch I'm Madonna

WAY too edited. The overlay of the backdrop is really distracting and you can barely see any of her choreography. It wasn't handled well. The overlay of the backdrop made it look really fuzzy and not like a professional shot performance. Overall, very disappointing transition from show to film. One of the low points of the broadcast. 

Burning Up

Mixed feelings on this one. While her vocals feel raw and powerful, the visual is still really hectic and all over the place. It makes enjoying the performance really hard when you are cutting around the room over and over again. It is less hectic than BIM but not by much. Again, really disappointing. 

Holy Water/Vogue

Now, if they would have edited the whole thing this way, I would have been happy. While this particular performance uses too much slow motion, it doesn't detract from the performance. The sexiest moments were captured with gusto. However, there was a continuity error (that obviously wasn't on purpose) in the Vogue segment right at the start of Vogue. In the close up, she is clearly singing into her microphone but in the wide shot, the mic is still in her corset. This doesn't detract at all or even really matter, I just noticed it because that's just how I am lol. But overall, this performance was well shot and edited. Very nice to watch. 

Devil Pray

I was worried that this was going to be edited to bits because of how little there is going on onstage when put next to the other performances. But by God, she showed some restraint. While the performance was masked by a somewhat distracting filter, she let the performance run as it was which was nice to see. This was the first instance in which it felt like a real concert film. One of the best shot moments of the broadcast. 

Messiah

All of the interludes were well handled. This did a fantastic job of displaying both soloists performances and giving us glimpses of the beautiful backdrop video. It captured the beauty of the performance very well and was a welcome highlight with the rapid editing of the first act. 

Body Shop

When I saw this show in person, this performance wasn't a highlight for me. But for whatever reason, it looks really good on film. Seeing the use of the backdrops of scenery works in the presentation here. The editing is calm and allows for some cool moments.

True Blue

She showed some restraint on this one and it did wonders. Seeing her and her dancers just being calm and having a fun sing along really captures the mood and tone of the show really well. HOWEVER...HER SHIRT CHANGES TO THE BLACK AND WHITE CHECKERED SHIRT INSTEAD OF THE SOLID BLACK ONE SHOWN IN BS AND IT BOTHERED ME A HELL OF A LOT MORE THAN IT SHOULD HAVE. AND HER HAIR CHANGED. WHICH BOTHERED ME A LOT TOO. 

Deeper and Deeper

Just getting this out of the way...HER DAMN SHIRT AND HAIR CHANGED BACK AGAIN. COME ON GIRL YOU AREN'T EVEN TRYING HERE. Despite that, this is one of the most well shot performances of the show. The energy and excitement of the performance came out really well in the way this was filmed. She was having fun and it showed. Really great translation from show to film. 

HeartBreakCity

AGAIN WITH THE SHIRT. GIRL COME ON. But, this performance was beautiful. It really showed all of the cool choreography moments in the song and some things that you didn't get to see depending on where you were sitting so that was a nice thing to see. And yes, they cut LDLHA, but you know what? They cut it well. They cut it very well. Had we not seen the show already, we wouldn't have noticed there was a song cut. 

Like a Virgin

A. Continuity. Disaster. One minute she has one shirt, then another, then her hair is different, then cap, then no cap. It is distracting as hell and it's not cute. It's distracting. It was all over the place and not even the least bit cohesive. One of the best performances of the show turned into one of the worst moments of the broadcast. Very disappointed. 

S.E.X.

This interlude bored me live, it bored me here. However, it was shot well and was a nice chill out moment of the mind f*ck that was LAV. 

Living for Love

The biggest thing I noticed here, and all of my other friends I watched this with, is that there are very few shots of this song actually from Sydney. A lot of it was from the Washington D.C. show (we could tell by the venue, certain choreography kinks, and costume differences...yes I've seen this show way too many times). But, like I said, most casual fans wouldn't know. The performance was really well shot and the bad ass choreography looked great on film. One of my favorite moments of the film. 

La Isla Bonita

This was obviously edited with several different shows (a lot of Asia shows I see from the costumes) but it isn't as distracting as it was in LAV because it just isn't highlighted as much. You can tell when the outfit changes, but it doesn't linger on it and the way it was shot brought more attention to her movement than her costume which was nice. One of my favorite performances of the show and film. 

Dress You Up Medley

A lot of people hate on this performance, but I have loved it since I first saw it. Here, it looks like a lot of fun. It was well shot and the colors looked incredible and really popped. Loved it, simply that's it. 

Rebel Heart

The Detroit footage was a little out of nowhere but nice to see. The performance itself was actually pretty great. Now I know I harped on other songs about showing too many different costumes and such but here, it works in the song. It works because this is a song that feels earned because this song feels like a very around the world and fan dedicated song so it works really well. I enjoyed it. Very nice job M. 

Illuminati

It was genius to have go pro's on the dancers. Really exciting stuff. A little bit over done, but pretty good. 

Music

Annoyingly over edited. That is all. 

Candy Shop

I thought it was gonna be over done too, but it actually looked pretty good and the pace felt manageable. She seemed to be having fun with it. 

Material Girl

Done very, very well. She kept all the choreography I loved and it looked great with the angles they used. Her voice was very obviously touched up, but it wouldn't be noticeable had I not seen the Sydney shows on YouTube. Well done. 

La Vie en Rose

This bored me in person but it was beautiful here. Seeing those lights all over the venue and the crowd sing along was beautiful. Never thought I'd say this, but one of the highlights of the film for me. 

Unapologetic Bitch

I may be in the minority saying I adored the compilation of all the bitches. It wouldn't have been as great to use one bitch. This really made this a lot fun seeing all of the celebs and everything. Amazingly well done. 

Holiday

It ended well. She over did the editing effects some, but that is excusable because it is the end of the show. Really managed to end it on a high note. 

OVERALL: I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. It was way over edited in some places, but in others, she showed some real restraint. I enjoyed it a lot more than MDNA (the later blu-rays because you know the initial release and EPIX special wasn't as badly edited) and it was great. It was great to see the show again and she looked radiant. She looked so happy and was beautiful. Overall 4/5!!